Help please!

WONGA!

Hey guys and gals, first post on here and unfortunately I need your help :)

Right, my housemate has recently bought an Echo Sportivo (not sure which year) and for his birthday this year I'm planning on getting him a 6x9 + Amp package for the rear parcel shelf. Looking at spending around about $500AUD all up, so we're not looking at Bostons or anything like that haha

Questions:

1. The stock head unit, what outputs does this have and what would be looking to do to hook up the extra speakers/amp? Eventually we'd be looking at replacing the HU and front components, but that's a job for later on...

2. Recommendations! I personally haven't kept totally up to speed with the ICE scene for a few years so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to get really for the price. I'd love to splash out and get a pair of Boston SL95's, but I don't like him that much lol ;) Been looking at a pair of Clarion SRR6986's, as far as I remember Clarion make great head units, but I don't have a clue as to their speakers! Precision Power PC690C's are maybe an option I was thinking? To be fair, it's been such a long time since I've looked into this, I'm pretty much clueless. As for what we're looking for, clarity over power, non genre specific as he's going to be listening to anything from Tool to Jurassic 5 to Daft Punk through them.

As for amps....don't have a clue, any sort of pointer in that direction would be heartily accepted!

So if anyone has anything, that would be great :)

Many thanks,

Jon

Another question to keep in mind is how much weight the shelf can handle (keeping in mind have little idea of the weight of the system). The shelf in my SpEcho has been known to shift a little, and once came flying off. I would recommend that you incorporate a junction box so that should the need arise to remove the shelf, it is easier. Can't tell you about the outputs on the unit - I took mine out about 2 hours after getting the car, BUT I do know the dash mounted speakers are extremely weak, and should either be replaced or unplugged from the unit if the unit is replaced.

just a couple of answers from a begginer lol...

1. i'm assuming a echo's stock headunit does not come with rca pre-outs as i have worked on a normal echo and my corolla sportivo), so what you can do is 1) Use a line level converter (around $30 + installation) or 2) use a Hi-level input straight into the amp.

2 if u really want clarity get him the components now and as defiant states that the fronts aren't all that powerful he's going to have all his music coming from the 6x9's in the back.

if the speakers in the dash are 6.5' (kinda doubt it lol) u could try an "MB QUART DSD-216 6.5" Component System" they go on ebay for about 130 and are absolutely ear piercing when amped. also saves you from cutting up that parcel shelf.. .

3. amps.... mmm heaps of stuff out there not to sure where to point you to. although i have a few budgeted friends running response amps from jaycar and they seem to be satisfied.

Edited by ROLNIT

might also want to consider digital amps...

smaller than regular amps so they save space, but then again i think might cost more. sony make em i think?

Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated!

With regards to the system at the moment, after a discussion over the weekend, he'll be upgrading the HU and front components at the same time which is good, means we don't have to worry so much about trying to stuff some good speakers in with some ****ty equipment!

Found a pair of MTX TDX6903 over the weekend for $179AUD - seems like a pretty slick deal, I know MTX subs kick *****, but have no idea about their coaxial/triaxial's? Any ideas?

Thanks again!!

Jon