Choosing wheel size for first car

afton

I'm doing research to buy my first car (Corolla, budget <=$5000).

When searching through used car websites, some have the Corollas

with the standard 15" wheel, and some have been modified with

17" wheel.

Having a tight budget and knowing that 17" tyres would cost more to replace

-- in your own experience what's the advantage of driving with the bigger wheel?

hey matey...for a start bigger rims look waaaay better and i personally think that bigger rims/wheel makes the car stick to the road abit better........

yea the bigger the better in most cases... rims can make or break the car's look think about that... oh n u'll prob think that bigger rims handle better it's coz they can accomodate ticker tyres and i don't think any tyre company makes 'economical' tyres for 17z... so you'll obviously feel the difference of a higher grade tyre in comparision to a bad-grip tyre on your stockies

I'm doing research to buy my first car (Corolla, budget <=$5000).

When searching through used car websites, some have the Corollas

with the standard 15" wheel, and some have been modified with

17" wheel.

Having a tight budget and knowing that 17" tyres would cost more to replace

-- in your own experience what's the advantage of driving with the bigger wheel?

Any corolla you can get for under $5000 came with 14 inch wheels as standard, not 15.

Any corolla you can get for under $5000 came with 14 inch wheels as standard, not 15.

corolla under $5000... that should be an immaculate condition AE92 or a fair condition AE102... i dont know about the AE102 but i do know that the AE92 actually came with 13" wheels...

corolla under $5000... that should be an immaculate condition AE92 or a fair condition AE102... i dont know about the AE102 but i do know that the AE92 actually came with 13" wheels...

yes but the SX and GTi came with 14 inch mags and I wouldn't get any other model AE9* then those.

true... SX/GTI all the way... but you'll be pushing it by trying to find one for $5000... a regular AE92 has an average price of $3000-$5000 so it'll be pretty hard finding an AE93 SX/GTI for under $5000

true... SX/GTI all the way... but you'll be pushing it by trying to find one for $5000... a regular AE92 has an average price of $3000-$5000 so it'll be pretty hard finding an AE93 SX/GTI for under $5000

there are plenty of SXs and GTi going on Toymods and Twincam for under $5000 all the time. They only get expensive when people have done 20V or -GZE engine conversions on them.

AE101 CSi models came with 13" wheels and rear drums, all AE102s had 14" wheels and rear discs, easy way to tell them apart without looking under the bonnet

Suprisingly there's not much difference in tyre prices unless you go past the 20 inch mark...

I've got two sets of wheels now... 15's and 18's...

15 inch tyres cost me $95 each mates rates special price and when I had my 17's, for a 205/40/R17 Tyre, it was $110 mates rates price...

All depends on the brand you go for...

• 3 weeks later...

Haha I somehow doubt the guy plans to drive like a nutter. He probably just wants a run around, which he will probably drive alot slower then the majority of stivo drivers. If this is the case, smaller wheels are fine, even with less grip etc. Unless you race your car around a bit, bigger wheels are mainly just for aesthetics. Thats my 2 cents. Save the money!

hey matey...for a start bigger rims look waaaay better and i personally think that bigger rims/wheel makes the car stick to the road abit better........

Thats right, but you also DON'T want to put something a bit too big, you also have to consider the weight of you car. That's why most insurance company wont insured the car if you go 2" over the stock rims. Cars with oversize rims are tend to aquaplane (more easily) on wet surfaces.

So for the safety of yourself and others, get the 17"s Rims. :spiteful: