Corolla problem

Hi everyone

My mums 06 corolla is having (and has had since purchase) problems with shifting between gears (it's auto). When driving it will pretty much stay in 3rd until it randomly (and rarely) decides to go into 4th for e.g. if you are driving down a hill (foot either gently on the accelerator or off) it will just keep revving out in 3rd (around like 3-4000 rpm) instead of shifting to 4th like my 03 corolla does (and no the overdrive is not turned off (as this was the 1st thing I checked)).

Any suggestions?

My 06 Auto does the same thing. Every day on the way to work I can usually pick within ten metres where it will change up to fourth gear. Although now the weather is getting colder, Rolla lingers a little longer before changing up. I just assumed this was a cold start setting designed to protect the engine, rather than a fault.

The biggest issue i have with automatic boxes is that power is transferred through fluid and not mechanically. Yes it's good for the less confident driver but fluids can burn and thicken and change they're physical properties which causes the mechanical side of the operation to change.

Crack open an automatic gearbox and it looks like a pasta strainer. Block up one or two holes and a cog will no longer move to a different spot. A low fluid level can negate shifting altogether. My old man's 253 HQ Premier was a laugh for this. It had a slow leak that would after awhile leave you with very little fluid. If the car was sitting on an angle, went up or downhill or round a corner too fast it'd shift into neutral. The gearbox sump would dry up and you'd end up with no drive.

If you have shifting issues first check your fluid level and make sure it looks clean and fresh. If it's dark and murky there may be blockages where the fluid gets caught and cooks into a thick sludge changing the way the box will shift. If it's low check for leaks in the lines between the radiator and the box. hoses do leak on new cars which is the reason for regular servicing.

According to the handbook, the transmission will not change to 4th whilst the engine is cold, to help it warm up. Does this problem happen when the engine is cold, or warm? Do any service indicator lights come on?

Thanks everyone for your replies I think she is going to have to take it to a service department.

It happens whether the car is warmed up or cold, its a real pain in the a.r.s.e!

Edited by grima88

while we're on this topic, can someone recommend some good auto transmission fluid?

Done about 73000km on the car and the fluid hasnt been change. Im starting to think its time,

Hi everyone

My mums 06 corolla is having (and has had since purchase) problems with shifting between gears (it's auto). When driving it will pretty much stay in 3rd until it randomly (and rarely) decides to go into 4th for e.g. if you are driving down a hill (foot either gently on the accelerator or off) it will just keep revving out in 3rd (around like 3-4000 rpm) instead of shifting to 4th like my 03 corolla does (and no the overdrive is not turned off (as this was the 1st thing I checked)).

Any suggestions?

I have an 06 auto and what I have noticed is:

- there is a temp sensor that will not let the auto go to overdrive until it heats up (I believe this sensor measures engine coolant temp (not ATF) and waits until it reaches approx 120 degrees ferenheit). After it heats up, the auto will often go into 4th

- the car will often go into 3rd going down hill and vacuum brake. It will stay in 4th until you touch the brakes, at which time it will shift into 3rd and vacuum break. I wasn't used to this when I bought it but now I am

I also have noticed hesitancy and jerkiness at low speed. This is a real problem for Toyotas/Lexus with 5 speed autos but the Corolla has a 4 speed auto so it is unexpected. Most of the time the car is fine but every now and then, the auto has a spasm and will shift hard into gear and seems to not know whether it should be in low gear or not. Very disappointing and seems like a programming issue to me.

Edited by ADH

while we're on this topic, can someone recommend some good auto transmission fluid?

Done about 73000km on the car and the fluid hasnt been change. Im starting to think its time,

While under warranty, Toyota demand that you ONLY use ATF that meets JWS3309 spec. This means Toyota T-IV ATF or Mobil 3309 ATF

Having said this, there are quite a few better fluids that are "compatible" with Toyota auto trans requiring T-IV. Examples include AMSOIL universal ATF, Penrite SIN ATF, Castrol Import ATF just to name a few ...

It really depends on whether you are still under factory warranty or not

While under warranty, Toyota demand that you ONLY use ATF that meets JWS3309 spec. This means Toyota T-IV ATF or Mobil 3309 ATF

Having said this, there are quite a few better fluids that are "compatible" with Toyota auto trans requiring T-IV. Examples include AMSOIL universal ATF, Penrite SIN ATF, Castrol Import ATF just to name a few ...

My old MPV was playing up in the trans was making funny noises and slipping when cold I got it serviced $210.00 and it went fine but the shop that did the job said it was showing signs of wear as there were debris in the filter your corolla may just need a service.

Edited by nzspacio

Outta warranty. Which one is better than the Toyota T-IV?

Edited by neK