update... K&N Panel Filter & Hiclone Swirl Thingy's

Mr Kluger

Well it has been about a week since i installed the K&N panel filter $150

and at the same time the Hiclone Air Swirl Things $288

...for the most part something has worked... :yahoo:

i have given the ecu time to relearn airflow and fuel mixtures and get use to my driving style... it overall seems more lively when hard accelerating... ( not as much drag )

an improvement felt in the low mid and higher rev range...

(yes... same oil, same tyre pressures, same fuel, and same driving style)

but im really not sure what has done it... the air filter or the metal swirl inserts...

(well for comparison the only differences before... i had a relatively clean stock air filter... last changed 2,000KM ago the K&N panel filter is more of an easire breather... hold it up to the light and you can see bright shades... the stock filter was more draped like a heavier materiel... this has to impact on the air resistance surely!)

My advice is dont try both at the same time! :blink: firstly i would go the K&N panel filter at $150... it seems to be a no questions improvement... based on airflow more importantly (just hold the two filter up to the light... the light will show you the way B)

as for the Hiclone air swirl devices... i will still keep them... even though the manufactures gives a very generous offer of money back risk free trial... i cant say that they work but the logic behind them seems justified...

ultimately... i am a car hobbist... give me something to try and i will buy...

if you feel you have a spare $288 to try out the hiclones then wait at least a month before you install them after the air filter... if you dont like return for your money back according to www.fuelsaver.com.au

i think it should also be noted that if you do an oil change more frequently it helps keep the enging performing well... has any one noticed that the first 100KM after doing an oil change the engine will rev up close to red line faster than before the oil change? i do! :rolleyes:

To conclude... the best part of both these products... was they both came with stickers!! :toast:

now that alone is got to be worth something

heh heh... i will never grow up...

Happy Modding!!

ps... the custom cai has been delayed... i found blue led neons that must go in before anything else.. i want to hook up my stereo to a 3 way switch... acc / off / batt... so i gan have the stereo pumping without the keys in the ignition... just need to watch the battery voltage... :D

(3 way switch circuits to the acc turn on wire for the stereo/amp/led lights/power antenna relay)

Nice man. I'm thinking of putting on a K&N soon... gotta take away some lag that I get when accelerating (it is an Auto, so I suppose it can't be helped much)

heh heh... mines an auto too... but apparently lexus put a lot of r'n'd into it as it is one of the smoothest gearboxes i have tried... lacks a bity of thrust compared to more expensive euro models but for what we pay it definetly is bang for your buck i recon... and the 'Mrs' can like it too...

;)

good info on :) glad its been tested as well, since your a car hobbist and would like to experiment new things to your car, why not chuck a turbo in it :spiteful:

PERSONALLY I wouldnt bother with filters or CAI at all.

The gains are neglible and the K&N filters dont do their job, to filter, as effectively as your typical filter. As for CAI the Gen3 at least has the snorkel placed at the front, its already essentially a CAI, again Im not sure about any gains in that department, although it will make the car sound alot better.

Personally if i had money to throw around Id go for a port and polish of the intake, 2.5inch exhaust with deleted or at least hi-flow cat and a piggyback ECU. These all work together to get legitimate gains... the intake and exhaust mods free up the breathing, its pointless just doing intake and then not exhaust because the ECU will instantly know it sucks a certain level of air in but the exhaust cant handle the extra capacity (if your talking sizeable gains at least), so its not going to improve performance. On top of this both these mods are still completely useless without a piggyback ECU because the cars ECU doesnt learn that much, newer cars are alittle better but at the end of the day you need to re-tune the car with the new mods to maximise gains. Problem is from what Ive heard your talking about $3000 to do this and you might gain say 20-30kw at the flywheel, not heaps, especially once it gets to the wheels.

However given that your doing it all yourself it doesnt hurt to try relatively cheap mods and get any gains no matter how small.

Edited by aussie_camry

Nice man. I'm thinking of putting on a K&N soon... gotta take away some lag that I get when accelerating (it is an Auto, so I suppose it can't be helped much)

hahaha, thats where your wrong, my cars auto and i have practically close to no lag. :spiteful::whistling:

PERSONALLY I wouldnt bother with filters or CAI at all.

The gains are neglible and the K&N filters dont do their job, to filter, as effectively as your typical filter. As for CAI the Gen3 at least has the snorkel placed at the front, its already essentially a CAI, again Im not sure about any gains in that department, although it will make the car sound alot better.

Personally if i had money to throw around Id go for a port and polish of the intake, 2.5inch exhaust with deleted or at least hi-flow cat and a piggyback ECU. These all work together to get legitimate gains... the intake and exhaust mods free up the breathing, its pointless just doing intake and then not exhaust because the ECU will instantly know it sucks a certain level of air in but the exhaust cant handle the extra capacity (if your talking sizeable gains at least), so its not going to improve performance. On top of this both these mods are still completely useless without a piggyback ECU because the cars ECU doesnt learn that much, newer cars are alittle better but at the end of the day you need to re-tune the car with the new mods to maximise gains. Problem is from what Ive heard your talking about $3000 to do this and you might gain say 20-30kw at the flywheel, not heaps, especially once it gets to the wheels.

However given that your doing it all yourself it doesnt hurt to try relatively cheap mods and get any gains no matter how small.

True True... intake and exhaust are probably the real deal of performance modding... anything else is just playing around... One problem i have is rinding the right place to do these mods... there is no real comparison for price and you cant predict the outcome... after all that there is the issue of parts availability....

Take the (Eaton developed) TRD supercharge for the 1MZFE engine...

This supercharger was available in the US but i havent found anyone selling here in Oz, even if you could get one from importing... getting service parts like the drive belt would be a problem ... I have contacted toyota and eaton seperately but apart from "there is nothing available for you carmy" if you got someone to install one you then need someone to certify it complies here in Oz...

Maybe im not looking in the right places or maybe i still havent found my mod shop yet... but where there is a will im sure there will be a way... i dont want to spend more than $5,000 for total Modding.. my list includes Wheels, Springs, Shocks, Plugs, Leads, Custom Exhaust, TRD Supercharger, Ecu Piggy Back, Dyno Tuning, and if there is any budget left... a nice sunroof :rolleyes:

Seriously... i dont really know where to draw the line... but i know that i can jump into a stock aurion and have 200KW at the turn of the key... wait till the release of the TRD supercharged Aurion comming out later this year or have fun modding the car i have and dont spend too much doing it up cause i know it will be worth jack come time to sell eventually when the wheels fall off ;)

Thats why its a hobby thing...

Cheers :D

post-4786-1185202864_thumb.jpg

post-4786-1185204213_thumb.jpg

good info on :) glad its been tested as well, since your a car hobbist and would like to experiment new things to your car, why not chuck a turbo in it :spiteful:

Turbo It? Heh heh... Front Wheel, Drive Automatic, Camry... every time i make enquiries regarding supercharging or turbo for the Camry apart from finding there is nothing available or it will be a custom job is always get asked Why,Why,Why??? Why are doing it to a Front Wheel Drive Automatic V6 Camry..... :blink:

Umm... i always reply... "its a hobby thing" and that makes it okay... Right? :whistling:

Seems to work with the wife! :toast:

Heh heh ... im inspired by my own dream of creating a 'sleeper' Camry... but if i cant do it i will have fun trying at least...

I prefer supercharged cause it gives you power from teke off... that i can make use of... but weather the auto transmission can hack it is a different question... I bought the car new.. i did have a choice of auto or manual... my previous corolla (1997 Csi) was a manual 1.6L had heaps of fun but got sick of changing gears... now im starting to miss that... (a little bit) <_<

but the Camry is a Better car 10 times over... more comfortable room to move not too big not too small... powerful but fuel efficient for a V6 and smooth as anything compared to the old rolla.... Should have ordered a Manual then i could think of turbos :lol: