GPS in car units

vivioman

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a gps in car system and have come across several brands when researching...navman, garmin, road angel, shinco

I'm just looking for a basic unit that is fast to start up and has voice navigation. I understand some units will play MP3s and have integrated cameras and stuff, but I'm not too fussed in getting those units.

Does anyone here own a GPS unit and if so, what brand and model and what are your likes and dislikes about the unit you have?

Cheers :yahoo:

Garmin Nuvi 310. Doesn't really have "fast" startup (actually I think it's kinda slow), but the voice navigation is cool. It actually reads out the name of the street you need to turn into instead of just saying "turn left in 200m" :)

Actually the slow startup is the only thing I don't like about it. The Bluetooth thingy means you can make calls from the GPS using the phone's contact list and it reads SMS's to you etc. It's got info on shopping centres, restaurants and stuff..... it's cool!

Thanks for the reply. I've also considered that model.

Anyone used Tom Tom?

yeah, I have Tomtom on my Nokia N73, it's basically a camera, phone n GPS system. :toast: If i'm not mistaken you have the N70? (send me a MSG on MSN (i've used Navman before and they're as good as Tom, but Tom is probably much better IMO)). I've got the 2007 Map as well and they're very accurate. I used Tomtom for my pizza delivery, very handy and its just awesome! In the POI "Point Of Interest", they have the contact details (phone/fax #) for businesses, very useful when you're on the road and wanna book a restaurant.

Edited by leasaunce

yeah, I have Tomtom on my Nokia N73, it's basically a camera, phone n GPS system. :toast: If i'm not mistaken you have the N70? (send me a MSG on MSN (i've used Navman before and they're as good as Tom, but Tom is probably much better IMO)). I've got the 2007 Map as well and they're very accurate. I used Tomtom for my pizza delivery, very handy and its just awesome! In the POI "Point Of Interest", they have the contact details (phone/fax #) for businesses, very useful when you're on the road and wanna book a restaurant.

Good memory Leon...haha :spiteful: yes I have the N70, but I checked on Tom Tom's website and it said that the phone was not compatible with the software...

If it is compatible, I'll be a happy camper!

Good memory Leon...haha :spiteful: yes I have the N70, but I checked on Tom Tom's website and it said that the phone was not compatible with the software...

If it is compatible, I'll be a happy camper!

trust me it is! I used Tomtom on my N70, go online now! ill give you more info about it.

guys just a question....

anyone here find it a little bit sus seeing a seller on eBay, selling GPS Navigators (included GPS unit, memory card, mounting bracket & charger) but no CD-ROM Software nor Instruction booklet?? :whistling: The only reason I can think is "Stolen Items!" I can understand if they don't have the original box, but the Software n Instruction booklet are like the Holy Bible of it!

Cause the other week my mate's GPS Navigator got stolen from his car (He left it in his bag pack).

anyway...i'm going off topic but I wanna hear you all about it! <_<

Garmin Nuvi 310. Doesn't really have "fast" startup (actually I think it's kinda slow), but the voice navigation is cool. It actually reads out the name of the street you need to turn into instead of just saying "turn left in 200m" :)

Actually the slow startup is the only thing I don't like about it. The Bluetooth thingy means you can make calls from the GPS using the phone's contact list and it reads SMS's to you etc. It's got info on shopping centres, restaurants and stuff..... it's cool!

Ditto. Ive got the same model and have used it for a while and must say its fantastic.

It does have a slightly slow startup but apart from that its an excellent unit.

The best thing I love about it is that the windscreen mounting unit has a small footprint so you can stick it on your windscreen.

Also there has been a problem with the suction cup melting onto the windscreen. That happened to me, all I need to do was email Garmin and they sent me off a new one. Excellent service.

I have a TomTom Go700 (or something like that) and its great, so easy to use, big display and does everything and more.

I also have gps on my mobile (Nokia 62 something Navigator) and it works awesome as well

Also there has been a problem with the suction cup melting onto the windscreen. That happened to me, all I need to do was email Garmin and they sent me off a new one. Excellent service.

Are you serious? I can never get the damn thing to stay on there. I wouldn't complain at all if it melted into place :lol: