Centre console led change....

yekim

left work early today and had some time free...so i decided to finally change the console lights to red leds...bout time..

my intention was to change the stock radio as well...

took it all apart and was ready to exchange the green smd leds with superbright red ones...

........then.....i noticed that the ones that illuminated the rings around the volume and multifunction knobs were located under the digital encoders...freaken......cr@p. That would mean i'd hafta desolder the encoders off as well....not to mention take apart the lcd housing to change the backlight of the lcd display.....

in the end i put everything back together (actually just an hr ago) . so now only the console lights are red

just letting ppl know that its not an easy job to change the stock radio lights...even if u don't mind changing the smd leds like me :o

maybe its a sign for me to get a real sound system :lol: ...too bad my wallets a lil dry atm.. <_<

all in all i'm happy with the red console look, looks coool B)

Mikey

yekim

Good stuff mate. Great to see more people going down this track and personalising their rides. I tend the notice the little touches more so than the big things (kits etc) I like it also when you do something small and someone notices and praises you for it. Makes the job worth while.

got any pics?

My lights should be coming soon. as soon as its done I will be posting for you all.

BTW - im doing blue to match the stereo :D

left work early today and had some time free...so i decided to finally change the console lights to red leds...bout time..

my intention was to change the stock radio as well...

took it all apart and was ready to exchange the green smd leds with superbright red ones...

........then.....i noticed that the ones that illuminated the rings around the volume and multifunction knobs were located under the digital encoders...freaken......cr@p. That would mean i'd hafta desolder the encoders off as well....not to mention take apart the lcd housing to change the backlight of the lcd display.....

in the end i put everything back together (actually just an hr ago) . so now only the console lights are red

just letting ppl know that its not an easy job to change the stock radio lights...even if u don't mind changing the smd leds like me  :o 

maybe its a sign for me to get a real sound system  :lol:  ...too bad my wallets a lil dry atm..  <_<

all in all i'm happy with the red console look, looks coool  B)

Mikey

PICS PICS PICS! I'm not brave enough to do it and i really like my car stock in that sense... but i absolutely LOVE seeing what others do to their interior!

I'd love to get something happening similar to what ford has with the mobile phone holder popping out of the centre compartment (the corolla is one of the top selling cars world wide... WHY don't they have more fiddly little gadgets you can get for it *** DAMNIT! :S). I mean i have a bluetooth car kit so i guess i don't really NEED it... but i just like the idea of having my fone there so i can see who is calling etc without having to pick it up and look. I don't like having the air vent phone holders (they always manage to **** your vent) and i don't want to drill in a visible place!) I like techy interior mods. The guy who had a PC running his sound system is my ***! (though i'd like to see pics and see how well it actually runs!)

So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... anyone with these kind of mods... pleasure me with them! :P :P ;)

hmmmmmmm

I wonder if you can cut and mold a cradle into the dash just to the left of the intrument panel between it and the stereo (that looked like it was meant to be there) and wire in a car kit to the bottom of it so you can get into the car, sit, place the phone on the dash and have it staring at you like a head up display... and if you have an MP3 capable phone can this be wired in to the car kit to play through the stereo????

hmmmmmmm

I wonder if you can cut and mold a cradle into the dash just to the left of the intrument panel between it and the stereo (that looked like it was meant to be there) and wire in a car kit to the bottom of it so you can get into the car, sit, place the phone on the dash and have it staring at you like a head up display... and if you have an MP3 capable phone can this be wired in to the car kit to play through the stereo????

Alriiiiiiiiiiighty...

I have been through getting sound running through the speakers from you phone... and although its not straight forward... it IS possible... although there have been quite a few disasters in trying it. (blown speakers etc). Apparently there is a company that makes a special converter for it... but i sent him an email and he had no experience with the sportivo/T-sport hence he didn't think there was a device for it yet. Also... i'm not even sure that the car kit would support this and if it did... i doubt it'd be in stereo? but i could be wrong :P

Not sure exactly where you mean for the cradle to be cut and moulded... but hey... i'm gonna work on something to get a cradle in the car. I think at this stage i might work on something for the centre compartment... i like things hidden away! :P

I don't even REALLY need the cradle as mine is completely wireless in terms of the phone having to sit anywhere... but yeah... i just like the idea of having somewhere to put it.

I have my cradle screwed into the plastic though not a fan of this you can get it repaired by a plastics repir person mine cost approx $50 last time to repair it and it was barely noticble. If you want a photo of where it is mounted let me know. I have also an after market radio the original was put in the to hard basket to modify. Also you can't control a sub on the original except by using the volume. Only way to do that if you want to is to mount another control.

update :)

So i was driving home from work today and i looked at my red dash..then at the centre console..i was like *cool* then i looked at my radio...dam green thing! so i decided to mod the radio :o

long story short had some problems, fixed them and now i have a red HU as well :lol: well mostly red..u'll see when i post pix...i took some pix during the mod...when i get time i'll show ya guys..but for now i need some sleep...

i really should stop impulsively doing these things (especially after work) and plan a whole day for mods...oh well heheh just part of the fun... :ph34r::lol:

btw. ne one wanna buy some *genuine toyota* smd leds and bulbs off me? one user only...as new...will make your sportivo have a funky original green appearance...

hahhaaaa

Tivomatt - I have used the nokia car kit which plugs into the ciragrete lighter with its own speaker. By hard wiringin in behind the cosole and drilling a hole into the back left corner of the top drawer. the cable for the phone comes in there and the microphone sits up on the A-pillar.

The phone is set to auto answer when on the handfree setting (setup in profiles)

So all you see is the mic and thats it. the only cons is that you have to manually turn the stereo off if it rings and open a door to plug/unplug....but it works very well :D

Edited by Danthuyer