Strut hat

alarum

I'm hopefully going to be replacing the strut hat on my left suspension, as it's been identified as being "crunchy" when going over bumps.

Is this just a case of removing the strut, unscrewing the hat and swapping it over?

I reaaaallly hope so =)

And does anywhere know where I could get my hands on some second hand suspension for my rears?

I'd check pick'n'throwitoverthefence but the only MCV20 they had in there was in the lot of cars to be re-sold.

when you say hat is that the piece with that sits on topof the spring and with 3 bolts... bolts onto the car?

if so youll need a set of spring compressors, take the pressure off and so it doesnt explode when you undo the nut.

I replaced all my struts and springs a while ago... dont know if this will lend a hand, but its really easy work

http://www.camcrew.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=1804

Edited by BlindEyeSight

BlindEyeSight has it right, pull the strut out, clamp it in a vice and compress the spring...

Undo the top nut (19mm) and remove the hat...

Pull the shock all the way up and slide the bump stop down to hold the shock in place...

Fit the new Hat on, making sure the arrows line up and do the top nut up... With everything lined up, you will see 1 - 2 threads of the shock exposed when the nut is fully tightened... If you see the exposed threads at the top you know it's all ok...

Refit the strut and you're all good...

In regards to the second hand struts, you can try the wreckers but also research aftermarket parts... You should be able to get some Monroe Struts for around the $70 mark...