1mzfe Interference type?

Nogusta123

Hey,

Just a quick question I currently have 185,000kms on my 1998 Camry V6 Csi but I've heard alot of different stories can someone clear this up for me? I need to know for sure if the 1mzfe is interference or non-interference engine? I bought the car @ 165,000kms and not sure when the belt was changed. I had a mechanic from a shop take a look at it and he said its def been changed not long ago and is good to go till 250,000kms but im still worried. I'd rather not change the belt only to find out the previous owner changed it not long ago and it be a massive waste of money. I have done all the small stuff by myself such as changing the oils,coolants,filters(fuel filer is a bitch) but im not sure if im ready to take on a big job like this. What I was hoping was that its non-interference and I can drive it till it breaks without doing any damage to valces/pistons.

What do you guys suggest?

i once had an old camry. 1989 model, we diy service too, pops never took it to mechanic cause it was a waste, and all he did was the usual service, change cams, change oil etc, but timing belt was a no. these machines last really long, whats there to be scared off, if you got insurance and your stuck in the middle of the road, get it towed to your mechanic and change it then. otherwise enjoy the camry :)

Google'd your question and found these articles:

http://www.camryforums.com/m_5170/tm.htm

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/archive/topic/37831-1.html

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t640069.html

The three articles above state that the 1MZ-FE engine is non-inteference. Do a google search on "1mzfe inteference engine" should bring up the same links.

so drive on! when the belt breaks, the worst that will happen is that you have to sit with a smelly tow-truck driver.