Modifications

ooy33h

Hi guys,

Just a quick question...what do you guys do when you modify your car outside the legal limits of it and you have it insured....im pretty sure if you have an accident the insurance company with decline the claim due to the modification is not roadworthy or street legal....For example...My car is an 05 sportivo and its completely stock except i have lowered it 3" back and 2.5" front and the limit is apparently 2" all round...would that mean that "if" i was in an accident i would not be covered?? there are so many people out there with modifications outside the street legal like cars with 20" rims and even lower suspension...or even a loud exhaust....having said that...how do they get covered by the insurance company if its illegal???

Sorry for the long question but its bugging me...Thanks in advance....stephen

Find an insurance company that will insure the car in it's completely modified state, with all modifications listed on the policy. The policy on my daily driver is 4 pages long due to the detailed mod list, but at least it's all covered.

For example...My car is an 05 sportivo and its completely stock except i have lowered it 3" back and 2.5" front and the limit is apparently 2" all round...would that mean that "if" i was in an accident i would not be covered?? there are so many people out there with modifications outside the street legal like cars with 20" rims and even lower suspension...or even a loud exhaust....having said that...how do they get covered by the insurance company if its illegal???

Maybe they only have 3rd party or have had the mod engineered. But there is no point having insurance if you aren't going to play by their rules.

Any ideas on which insurance company's would cover this...i dunt know if it has 100 mm clearence either front or back...im pretty sure ive got that clearence but i was lookin at putting a rear skirt on....now that will make the clearence lower....

You just have to call around because it's very much dependant on your age and driving history, no point in having insurance though if you don't list your modifications. If you're worried about ride height issues find the lowest point on your car and measure it. Mine is the exhaust just before it goes over the rear axle, but I have not kit.

I'm pretty certain you'll find the front and side skirts will be lower than the rear.

Hi guys......i'm pretty sure super lows are not illegal (my brother in law has them)...pretty sure super lows are 2" all round so it should be fine. Oh and CAI is illegal...thats just like slapping a Pod filter on....illegal because it does not fall in the regulations of emission levels...if a cop pulls you over and see's a pod filter....most cases he will defect you and send you to the EPA who will then thoroughly inspect the car before they clear it....it sucks but yeh...Unless the CAI is engineered....speak to a engineer that is listed on the RTA website...cheers, stephen

If your that worried about it go to the DPI site for your state and see what the law is on modifications (the WA one is here: http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1412.asp)

But yea as the other guys said if your lowering it your usually ok as long as you confirm to your state's regulations, and your insurance company will cover you if you tell them what you've done (as said before)

And a cop will defect you for anything he can find if you ***** him off enough :blink: