SDMA Hillclimb Results Canberra

MT

hey peeps,

have been entering in a few hillclimbs lately, thought i'd post something up to try and get more people out there next time!!

http://sdmahillclimb.com/

Check that for all info, basically its a 1km track which you take turns driving around - fastest time wins (no averages). Simple as that. You compete in classes with similar cars (ie horsepower, tyres etc) which is good because you normall get at least 3 in a class so there is always healthy competiton!!!

First time for Tayles and I was the 1st of September, where Tayles managed a 2nd in class and i settled for 3rd. Winner was a nice old bloke in an MX5. I was impressed but not surprised that the 1ZZ could beat the 2ZZ around the track as it does favour the low-down torque and shorter ratios of the 1ZZ. Tayles started with a 60.27 and finished the day with a 53.76. I started with a 59.37 and finished off with a 53.84.

1ZZ - 1

2ZZ - 0

Yesterday (30/9) was the next event, and as we were hooked from last time we decided to enter again. was very cold and really windy yesterday, so we didnt think the times would be as quick as last time. The day started and on my first lap, i got a little carried away and pushed wide on the exit from one of the faster corners!! after ripping it up on the dirt i finished my lap and was stunned to hear that i had recorded a 53.53. From there, the day got colder and i got slower and slower, recorded mainly 53.9x with one lap a little slower as i had fuel surge (note to everyone: the rolla needs more than a 1/4 of a tank to compete).

Jimmy in the 1ZZ also had a very consistant day recording all high 53.xx, with a best of 53.72 which was also a new PB. Therefore, once again 1 scored 3rd place and Tayles 4th. Once again we were beaten by the same MX5 and also an S2000 which i thought would be a lot quicker than it was.

1ZZ - 1

2ZZ - 1

To be honest i think we've almost reached the limits of what the rolla's can do in standard form. for the sportivo especially i think an LSD is needed as it was wheelspining almost the whole way - still fun though!

Just as an indication, here are a few cars that we either beat or had similar times with:

180sx

200sx

JCW Mini Cooper S

RX8

MX5

MX6

Supercharged SW20 MR2

Commodores

N/A RX7

Alfa 156

and a few others that I have forgotten.

Next event is the 28th October, and I would like to see more rolla's out there giving it a go! (as the place is basically covered with RX7's)

Its fairly cheap to enter, what you need:

- Helmet

- Fire Extinguisher

- Blue Triangle for battery

- neck to wrist to knee covered with clothing

costs:

Entry fee - $70

Licence (CAMS Level 2 Speed) - $88 (1 yr)

SDMA Membership - $50 (1 yr)

Who's keen on coming out?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the wind and lack of sleep I had another wicked fun day too. One thing Micky forgot to mention are the people. Everyone is willing to have a chat regardless of your age, car, skill or lap time, there are no barriers and very few ego's. All in all a very welcoming atmosphere.

Micky recorded his 53.53 on the very first run of the day, wind howling and sun shining. Sadly the sun went away and the track became cold (you may think that a cold day is better for intake temperature and I guess it is. But there is always that trade-off between that and track temperature which has the major bearing on adhesion). For the rest of the day we ran consistent times so I think our limit would be around 53.30-53.40 on a warmer track - we have reached a plateau and are no longer taking big chunks of time off our PB's (I took 0.04 off my PB from last time). So now it's time to start tinkering with settings and spending a little on new mods, I'm thinking suspension and tyres, though that might see us being elevated into a higher category which would suck. So for now we are stuck in the mid to high 53's and I challenge any Corolla driver to give it a go and see if you can top that! Our category had 5 competitors and it would be awesome to have 8 or 9 like some of the other categories. The S2000 and MX5 are formidable opposition due to massive power output and 50/50 weight distribution respectively, as well as RWD, so I'm pretty proud they only beat us by half a second :toast:

As for 1ZZ vs 2ZZ I hope we've demonstrated a practical example of how peak power figures are not always a measure of performance. My first sector split times were fastest in class because the 1ZZ is such a monster off the start line (or I'm a good drag racer?), then when the track opens up a bit the 2ZZ has a chance to hit lift on the two small straights and that evens things up. All in all it's a pretty good match up, Conquest vs Sportivo, and it's not as one-sided as people here make it seem.

Jimmy is exactly right, the only ego i saw on the day was the young bloke in the 6.9l Merc who was being a d1ck after the race finished and entered up in a bank... serves him right.

We impressed quite a few people, had many of them coming up all day and asking what the corollas were running, what tyres etc and they were very impressed when we replied that they were virtually standard!! The bloke in the RX8 and JCW Cooper S which were both running same times as us came over and asked me for advice on driving a front-wheel drive car around the track! There was a young girl who was on her L's driving an Alfa and her times went from 75s to 63 by the end of the day!!

In all honesty it is definately the most relaxed and fun kind of motorsport you can do, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Slippery diff here I come :yahoo: that lap record is mine :spiteful:

Good to see some other members 'man it up' and hit the track. Any in car footage? Or video/images fullstop? I wouldn't mind seeing the layout and how it compares to Mt Cotton as that is an unforgiving hillclimb track with hard stuff to hit everywhere.

(note to everyone: the rolla needs more than a 1/4 of a tank to compete).

At lower speeds that might be the case, but while holding sustained corners like turn 1 and 2 of QR, anything under 1/2 tank has issues (when using coilovers, 3/4 tank when stock). I want baffles in my fuel tank, or to move the fuel pump to the left hand side.

track2.jpg

Picture of the track, gradient of the hill is....

High ------------------------------------------> Low

You start where it says start, go up and turn left so you join the circuit going clockwise, go round the track and finish just before the esses. Basically it can be a 1 or 2 lap race, so really its a pretty good track.

here are some video's I found on youtube, this is Mark (who lives down the street from us) in his R32 GTR

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

finding some photos now, they arent very good but.

another video, this RX7 has the lap record for its class, and for its last run of the day usually drifts the whole track

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

just get a surge tank.

Would the surge tank require me to fit a second fuel pump to pump out of it? I have had the idea for a while but not 100% on how it would work.

Micky: That track is a lot more open then Mt Cotton, and doesn't look as steep.

Here is one of my runs, incar without lift,

(how it got 800+ views I do not know :blink:)

This shows just how steep 'The Hill' is (ADD drift car, outside footage),

That was my one and only visit to the hill. I wouldn't mind going back, but I'm too scared about hitting something hard if I push hard.

graphic1.JPG

Corolla Rally Car

f_01092007002m_89413da.jpg

Micky_Tee

f_01092007004m_47f0235.jpg

Tayles

f_01092007041m_616c07c.jpg

Tayles Again

f_01092007042m_3d7004f.jpg

Random RX7

f_01092007043m_ffc34e0.jpg

Awesome N/A 1600

f_01092007045m_311a7eb.jpg

AlfaNiki - awesome Niki with an Alfa engine in it... screams!

f_01092007047m_da605d0.jpg

Future Racer owned by a friend of ours

f_01092007050m_1fcfcbc.jpg

Sorry bout the **** quality - was taken with my phone, and its pretty freakin hard to take photos of moving cars anyway!

Hey Dave,

Love that in-car footage.

I dont reckon the photo's or in car footage do it much justice. its pretty steep really, but i guess its something you have to see. The track itself is very very narrow, but your right there isnt much to hit if you head off the track, except for on the highest, fastest corner LOL

just get a surge tank.

Would the surge tank require me to fit a second fuel pump to pump out of it? I have had the idea for a while but not 100% on how it would work.

Micky: That track is a lot more open then Mt Cotton, and doesn't look as steep.

Here is one of my runs, incar without lift,

(how it got 800+ views I do not know :blink:)

This shows just how steep 'The Hill' is (ADD drift car, outside footage),

That was my one and only visit to the hill. I wouldn't mind going back, but I'm too scared about hitting something hard if I push hard.

graphic1.JPG

possible a small lift pump

• 2 weeks later...

myspace is mylame

The cars look better when they are in their natural habitat tick.jpg

You'll have to make some in car camera mounts like mine. Do you want the instructions? :P

Edited by SuperDave

"F uck off miss... Sorry for saying f uck off" :lol:

It's some other dude's myspace Mickey is mooching off...

I'm heterosexual hence I don't have a myspace :P

Edited by Tayles

myspace is mylame

The cars look better when they are in their natural habitat tick.jpg

You'll have to make some in car camera mounts like mine. Do you want the instructions? :P

Yeah i dont use myspace... i made an account just to look at those photos... LOL

Yeah in car camera - I've been thinking about it, I was thinking about grabbing a busted passenger headrest (im sure we got a few around) and pulling it apart and using the structure to mount it in so that the seat is holding the camera steady... is this similar to what you have done Dave?

Instructions would be good :) what kind of camera are u using?

• 2 weeks later...

Mornin folks...

Another event today... I was the sole ZZE Rolla out there... Although there was 2 AE82's (1 twinky), 1 KE30, and 1 AE86 Sprinter.

Day started nicely... got 2 runs in sunshine, 2 in cold windy sh!t, and then 1 in p1ssingdown rain! As soon as we stopped racing, sun came out, absolutely beautiful afternoon.

finished off with a new pb as well so thats good, times were.

1. 53.99

2. 52.93

3. 53.10

4. 53.03

5. 62.xx (p1ssing down rain - I hit 3rd gear before the 1st corner)

Good enough for 1st place in class, pretty dam good if I do say so myself. Got one of these post-1141-1193549419_thumb.jpg

Bargain!

Pics and in-car footage coming soon - mainly for Superdave, cos i'd say he's the only one reading this.

Pics and in-car footage coming soon - mainly for Superdave, cos i'd say he's the only one reading this.

You bet your sweet **** I am.

But good work on almost getting the class record, you'll be able to tune in that 0.09 in your suspension easily ;)

And Tayles, all I'm hearing is excuses :lol:

And Tayles, all I'm hearing is excuses :lol:

All work and no play make Jimmy something something... :wacko:

My last exam is on the 14th, the next hillclimb is the 24/25th I think... I'll be ready ;)

What Michael failed to tell you was that he was using MY awesome lightweight 15-inch mags with small diameter super-sticky rubber... As you can see, it was all me :P