squealing noise on start

In the past few days, i notice a squealing noise coming from around the rear wheel when teh car first start, ..after a minute or so ..its gone...does anyone know whats wrong??

Wyas to cure the problem?

what car, year model, Km's? also, does the noise happen only when you start moving or is the squealing noise present as soon as you start the engine?

In the past few days, i notice a squealing noise coming from around the rear wheel when teh car first start, ..after a minute or so ..its gone...does anyone know whats wrong??

Wyas to cure the problem?

what car, year model, Km's? also, does the noise happen only when you start moving or is the squealing noise present as soon as you start the engine?

Only when the car starts moving, or braking. And it only happens within the first minute of engine start, after that, it goes away until the engine is stopped and cool down and start again. Its a 07 model, only 1500km old.

hmmmm brand spanking new .... mate since its a brand new car the dealership should b sorting this out ..... now without having to leave it with them for a whole day which is a pain i would suggest borrow a video camera and tape what happens and go down and show them because its hilarious how dealerships seem "unable" to replicate ur problem ..... and since it only happens on start up like i said hard to replicate if u have to drive down to the dealership so it would need to be left over night

i had a similar issue with a car a bought a while back and did as suggested .... taped what was going on and was hard for them 2 talk their way out of it

hmmmm brand spanking new .... mate since its a brand new car the dealership should b sorting this out ..... now without having to leave it with them for a whole day which is a pain i would suggest borrow a video camera and tape what happens and go down and show them because its hilarious how dealerships seem "unable" to replicate ur problem ..... and since it only happens on start up like i said hard to replicate if u have to drive down to the dealership so it would need to be left over night

i had a similar issue with a car a bought a while back and did as suggested .... taped what was going on and was hard for them 2 talk their way out of it

I try to went out to give my car a test run to record a sound sample. strangly its now gone.

I m guessing it may be of 2 possible cases

1. Cold engine start. (since today is bit warm). But i dont know what will trigger that if its because of cold temp

2. Dust from rain. Since past few days is raining.

Would it be true?

I try to went out to give my car a test run to record a sound sample. strangly its now gone.

1. Cold engine start. (since today is bit warm). But i dont know what will trigger that if its because of cold temp

Would it be true?

its possible but dont write it off as gone yet give it a few more days and if its still there then try make a recording ive been in a dealership situation and trust me the main reason we dont always get it is due to the service advisers not giving an accurate description of the problem anyway sounds like a brake noise lol! always brake noise <_<

Would it be true?

its possible but dont write it off as gone yet give it a few more days and if its still there then try make a recording ive been in a dealership situation and trust me the main reason we dont always get it is due to the service advisers not giving an accurate description of the problem anyway sounds like a brake noise lol! always brake noise <_<

omg, its coming back again, parked out at the street and got it cool down and the noise squeals again. butnot as intense as last night. Not sure about the brake because it still squeals as the car rolls forward

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my car back from toyota. Had to leave it overnight since the first time they cant hear anything.

They told me they adjusted the drive belt. But i gotta wait til later tonight to see if the problem is still here.

So what is the drive belt? Isnt it that weird to a new car that needs drive belt adjustment so early???

If it was the drive belt (timing belt or accessories?), why the hell did you think it was coming from the rear of the car?

OR

If the noise is coming from the rear of the car, why do Toyota think it's something in the engine bay

I had the exact same problem with my 07 Corolla... took it to the dealer and told them that it sounded like as if the belt was slipping on startup, especially in the cold. A little adjustment here and there and some lubricant removed the noise completely.

If it was the drive belt (timing belt or accessories?), why the hell did you think it was coming from the rear of the car?

OR

If the noise is coming from the rear of the car, why do Toyota think it's something in the engine bay

I m 200% sure that its coming from teh rear. I have a musician ears so its not hard to pick out directions by sound.

I dont know why they needed to adjust the belts.

I m starting to feel the hopelessness of toyota people...

But lets see if the noise is coming back within a week time.

I had the exact same problem with my 07 Corolla... took it to the dealer and told them that it sounded like as if the belt was slipping on startup, especially in the cold. A little adjustment here and there and some lubricant removed the noise completely.

Been on the UK TOC. Few other auris owners got this problem too. Its a common one i think.

Is your noise coming from the front of rear?

Been on the UK TOC. Few other auris owners got this problem too. Its a common one i think.

Is your noise coming from the front of rear?

it defenietly came from the front, no doubt about it.

The squeal is still around

Definite its coming from the back wheel

Definite is something to do with the wheel because how fast the wheel spins, how fast the squeal repeats.

What should i do?

sound like the brakes or could be hand brake as some one mentioned above.. might be someting stuck in there?

Edited by $ANGELO$

The squeal is still around

Definite its coming from the back wheel

Definite is something to do with the wheel because how fast the wheel spins, how fast the squeal repeats.

What should i do?

sound like the brakes or could be hand brake as some one mentioned above.. might be someting stuck in there?

I m going back to toyota today.

I m gettign feed up with this ****.

came back from toyota again.

They cant fix it. theres another guy with the same model and same problem. couldnt get it fix too.

But we have narrow it down to wheel brakes or handbrakes. Which is obvious in the first place. And it took 3 times.

We ourselves have to find out the problems ourself before they can do anything...One of the technician suggested to park without setting the handbrake to see if that stops it.

Just an update,

I have tried what the toyota technician suggested. Park without a handbrake. And after parking 2 nights without setting the handbrake and test drive midnight. The squealing noise is still around. That eliminates the chances of handbrake problem.

It something wrong right down to the brakes now. In to toyota with my test results tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

hey all

as mentioned above in my post I have had... "HAD" the same problem as you guys and well I took my car in for service and told them that it was the belt slipping. Please when you take you car for service next please tell them to lubricate and check the belt. I play both the piano and guitar by ear, and if we are all talking about the same problem then I can guarantee that its the belt.

Its worth a shot and well it costs nothing aswell.

hey all

as mentioned above in my post I have had... "HAD" the same problem as you guys and well I took my car in for service and told them that it was the belt slipping. Please when you take you car for service next please tell them to lubricate and check the belt. I play both the piano and guitar by ear, and if we are all talking about the same problem then I can guarantee that its the belt.

Its worth a shot and well it costs nothing aswell.

hey, what style of guitar you into?

btw, i think we differnet problem, this guy from the service center and i have narrow down the problem, we are both 200% sure is the brake pads. He checked up on the brake pads and said the ones they are using coming metal elements and he suspected that its the brake pad compund itself. We have also inspected the brake disc surface, we can see a very light scratch which we also suspected it from the squeal. However, because it only happens on cold start and goes away when it gets to normal temp. nothing can be done. He said he can deglaze the brake pads but it will come back in when the metal compound surface again.

Its the left hand side passenger side rear brake pads

This is a known fault on Auris/07 Corolla. Have a look at the auris forum on TOC. Uk toyota offers change of different brand of brake pads. But the guy told me they only stock one brake of brake pads which is no use.

• 1 month later...

Hey I have exactly the same problem! Glad I'm not alone!

Sometimes rear wheel makes rotational noise...very sharp but short, metal grinding noise, I can even hear it with my windows closed (Not to mention everyone else turning their heads to look at my car when I drive out of the parking lot after work!!!).

I've been very persistent with this problem as I bought the car brand new from the dealer and I have never got a brand new car which makes this kind of noise. Bought it in September 2007.

I went to get it checked at the dealer more than 3 times, insisting that it only happens when it has been parked at least for half an hour with and the handbrake was used. It also happens randomly, not every time I hear the noise after the car is parked with handbrake applied. So it was difficult for the dealer to replicate the noise.

The last time I went to the dealer I actually escalated the problem to one of the managers and he called Toyota International. That time he was told that the brake pad compound can leave smudges or the brake pad's residue on the disc brakes when the disc brakes are still hot, thus creating the noise when the wheel turns. That was the best they could come up with, and I kinda believed that and concluded that it is not a safety concern.

Lately it's been making that noise every time I go home from work, so I decided not to use the handbrake, and put my car in first gear instead when I park it every morning since two days ago. It still makes the same noise for about a minute or so!

sugizo, have you found a better solution that can eliminate the noise yet? get new brake pads from third parties? Do you have the link for that 'auris' forum? I only see 'aurion' and 'yaris' in the forum's TOC.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73635

Here it is

i havnt been checking with the dealer since my last visit which they explain the same thing. Its the brake pads compound that is making the noise. They dont have a different branded pad. so it would still be the same changing the pads. Europe actually have a fix for this. This is a known fault. Tehy had different pads and some even have modified calipers.

Are you in Sydney?

I was thinking if we could get all the people here on the board with the brake problems to group together and storm to a service centre and explain what toyota europe's fix, then they will probably do something. One technical told me nothing will be done unless theres a lot of complaints. So our only chance to fix this is the group up and hit the service centre.

Cheers for the link sugizo!

I'd love to storm their office with you guys, but sorry mate, I'm in Queensland.

It seems that that fix in the UK works wonders! So when they told me they called Toyota International, they must have just called Toyota Australia because they said they only have the same type of brake pad and 'Toyota is still researching for new brake pad material since the use of asbestos on brake pads were forbidden since a couple of years ago.' This UK forum proves otherwise - There IS a fix, a replacement brake pad.

I think what I might bring a hard copy of the UK forum conversation and ask them to call Toyota UK. Hopefully they will comply.

Hmmm, I think it's worth a try. I'll get back to you when I get the results!