2007 ZRE152R Corolla Mods?

Has anyone added a TRD muffler to a ZRE152 yet? If so what does it sound like (re. drone at highway speeds??) or has anyone been even more adventurous and added a Toyota Motorsport exhaust??

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone added a TRD muffler to a ZRE152 yet? If so what does it sound like (re. drone at highway speeds??) or has anyone been even more adventurous and added a Toyota Motorsport exhaust??

Can anybody afford a Toyota Motorsport Exhaust? Certainly not cheap that's for sure...

Can anybody afford a Toyota Motorsport Exhaust? Certainly not cheap that's for sure...

TMS exhaust adds nothing but weight.

TOC forum has been talking about it bring performance down with its weight

Basically since there is no real exhausts out there for these 152 series rollas. (well mainstream anyway), some experimentation and custom piping was used.

Now the original piping (sans resinators/mufflers) is okay, AND HUGE! (photos of old parts to come) its all mandrel bent from the factory.

But I opted for custom piping right through, now this has not thrown an engine light yet, because if it did I'll be very annoyed heh.

Travelled 200km or so already on it, seems ok.

come on w/is picies of old parts , new system and a :spiteful: sound bite because you took so long :spiteful:

going to do mine soon and want to have a looksy for ideas

Edited by da68za

It is possible to buy the front of the TRD bodykit for the Auris (sic) from the TRD japan catalogue website, and i know that i can get it delivered and fitted at my local Toyota showroom workshop.

But there seems to be a problem with finding the TRD side-skirts and rear spoiler and bumper, anyone know how to get a hold of pricing on these? Although if they are all priced as expensive as the front on the kit, i may consider getting a TTE kit from europe for cheaper, but have to paint it here instead of ordering it in the right colour like TRD japan lets you.

Plus i think if i want to do anything performance wise to my corolla, its going to have to be custom or universal parts, but i'll wait and see what happens when the 2ZR-FE corolla sedan gets released in america - hopefully some new performance parts will come onto the market. (Obviously though externally dependent parts will be non applicable).

Also, there is a certain Scion XB (i think) model which has the same engine as our 07/08 rolla, so perhaps some performance internals or chips have already been made....

I dunno, but im pretty keen to adjust the looks of the car now the sound system is fully awesome! :yahoo:

Basically since there is no real exhausts out there for these 152 series rollas. (well mainstream anyway), some experimentation and custom piping was used.

Now the original piping (sans resinators/mufflers) is okay, AND HUGE! (photos of old parts to come) its all mandrel bent from the factory.

But I opted for custom piping right through, now this has not thrown an engine light yet, because if it did I'll be very annoyed heh.

Travelled 200km or so already on it, seems ok.

come on w/is picies of old parts , new system and a :spiteful: sound bite because you took so long :spiteful:

going to do mine soon and want to have a looksy for ideas

:whistling::whistling:

The exhaust on a ZRE152 is something that you should definately replace if you want more power. The massive muffler in the middle of the car looks like it came off a truck it's that big then it has 2 resonators from memory.

When I was at CES(TOCAU Forum Sponsor) we had the car on a hoist to develop the CAI and we had a good look at the exhaust side of things and Trevor reckons they could do something really nice as the size of the tunnel is huge and gives you plenty of room to work with.

Once the CAI is tested and development of that is finished then I"d say cat back exhaust systems could be the next thing they do.

If you are interested (cost of exhaust(stainless steel roughly $950) then add you name to the list below. System will be DB tested to pass noise laws as well.

There IS something to be warned about though.

I found that removing the resonators and just having the one muffler on the end, makes it VERY loud in the cabin lol. :P

I am getting pictures of my car for you tonight. :D

EDIT: This is some photos of the sound system install. - I'll try get the photos of the original exhaust parts soon.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic7.jpg

pic8.jpg

I'll get exhaust photos soon :D

Edited by Tofuboi

Yeah I know, im running a Fusion Encounter bass pack (300W amp and 400W Sub) I've tuned it to the best I can and yeah I need to fix the boot rattle lol

P.S Any instructions on how to get the door panels off easy?

The door panels just clip off from the outside, Ive got my hatch fully dynamatted by autobarn (mainly coz i wanted it done professionally) and i did the four doors and dash myself. Car doesnt rattle at all now! Only thing that rattles is the lid on the centre console when its open - thats it. Here is a few pics of the sound system i have.

Head unit: JVC AVX-800 Double DIMM touch screen DVD + USB + SD card + bluetooth (currently running a portable hard drive for music storage)

Front speakers: Kenwood 180Watt 6 inch splits,

Rear speakers: Kenwood 120Watt 6 inch.

Sub Amp: 2Ch 1000W Max Kenwood set to Mono out.

Sub: SVC 400W rms 12" (friking insane - best value for money sub ever IMO)

post-5931-1208099446_thumb.jpg

post-5931-1208099503_thumb.jpg

Also, a compatible LSD for the corolla would definately help performance with anyone that was serious about laying the full power of their engine to the ground, and powering out of corners without spinning the inside wheel. I almost bought an 07 civic instead because it had a LSD, i've driven FWD cars with and without them, and it makes a huge difference in corners. One of my mates Civic Type R was ace at going around corners even with throttle and i think the diff had a lot to do with it (other than the obvious suspension and awesome chassis) - but anyway, can you just bolt on a diff as long as its final drive ratio is exact or at least near the old ratio? I know a swap on a XR6 is about 500 bucks.

As you can see in my profile pic, the TRD auris kit comes with white rear mudflaps (no mudflaps on front cos its too low) - but can you paint the standard mudflaps be as white as the car without stuffing it up - or are these mudflaps using a plastic back cover so that the white is the same as the car? Beats me, but i think its a good look. Also cant wait to grab a TRD front kit!

Edited by Shaunus Maximus

The door panels just clip off from the outside, Ive got my hatch fully dynamatted by autobarn (mainly coz i wanted it done professionally) and i did the four doors and dash myself. Car doesnt rattle at all now! Only thing that rattles is the lid on the centre console when its open - thats it. Here is a few pics of the sound system i have.

Head unit: JVC AVX-800 Double DIMM touch screen DVD + USB + SD card + bluetooth (currently running a portable hard drive for music storage)

Also, a compatible LSD for the corolla would definately help performance with anyone that was serious about laying the full power of their engine to the ground, and powering out of corners without spinning the inside wheel. I almost bought an 07 civic instead because it had a LSD, i've driven FWD cars with and without them, and it makes a huge difference in corners. One of my mates Civic Type R was ace at going around corners even with throttle and i think the diff had a lot to do with it (other than the obvious suspension and awesome chassis) - but anyway, can you just bolt on a diff as long as its final drive ratio is exact or at least near the old ratio? I know a swap on a XR6 is about 500 bucks.

As you can see in my profile pic, the TRD auris kit comes with white rear mudflaps (no mudflaps on front cos its too low) - but can you paint the standard mudflaps be as white as the car without stuffing it up - or are these mudflaps using a plastic back cover so that the white is the same as the car? Beats me, but i think its a good look. Also cant wait to grab a TRD front kit!

If you set your suspension up right then there is no point in getting a LSD especially with the amount of power that the current Corolla would have at the wheels. Set up your suspension properly and reduce the bodyroll substantially and cornering wheel spin will be reduced dramatically. My Sportivo had 121kw atw with the suspension set up i had it could pull out of corners nicely without wheel spin(unless you hit lift!!) Also you won't get a LSD fitted in a Corolla for $500. Cost wise you're looking at about at least $1100 for the diff plus the fitting. As for your mudflaps remove them and panit them. I did the ones on my Sportivo myself and looked just like factory.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde..._item&CID=4

Have a look here at some pics of the mudflaps on the rear of my car.

How much was the full dynomatting?

It cost around about a grand, but I did the doors and the dash (including the central column, around the head unit, and the inside of both gloveboxes). And Silvabullit, what kindof paint did you use, just the standard bodywork paint?

I'm amazed that you're willing to fit/carry/lug a big box like that for the sake of doof doof... I don't know how you have any room to live with the car. Maybe a Tarago might have been a better choice??!!??

Edited by SmellyTofu

i dont really see a point of installing subs and speakers in a car. You can never get the true sound of the speaker in the car, you lose boot space, and you get massive rattle that mite rip your car apart in the long run. And with the money you pay, i rather get a home system. Not to mention how many hours do you actually spent in your car per day???

Well the amount of time i spend in my car everyday 30mins to work and back, and to uni and back or anywhere in mackay or any social gathering, probably 1hour and 20mins round trip (About 450km a week). Not including driving around town. And actually, even though the stock speakers are quite good, the aftermarket ones are terrific. As for shaking the car apart - thats what the dynamatting is for. I usually dont have any people in the back seats, so thats my cargo space. Also, whenever i get another car down the track, I can shift over most of the audio equipment and put back in the original stuff myself to sell it.

I dont mind the initial outlay, and i think its better value than a $100 (exaggerated slightly) TRD fuel cover cap. <_<

Aur15 - For the matting, the total purchase cost of 5 boot kits and the installation of 2 boot kits (in the boot) and a (1 boot kit) difficult bit on the dashboard and the floor under the dash was $900. I did the doors myself, but these were pretty easy. All i had to do was make the door body pretty much airtight. Their should be instructions around here somewhere.

Also, I used boot kits for the whole car, which makes the car feel just a little more polished than using door kits for the doors. It could have been a little over the top getting all boot kits which cost a hell of a lot more than door kits in hindsight, but what the hell.

There is cheaper matting around, but for the same quality of noise cancellation, you need to use extra so it ends up about the same cost for the quality. The road noise at 100km/hr sounds like it used to at 60km/hr, and at 60km/hr its friking quiet. This also means that the audio sounds WAY better than it used to - a feat in itself. The volume doesnt have to be as high to sound loud at all. Makes that car seem like a million dollars, and i would honestly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a quiet ride with no rattles!

Edited by Shaunus Maximus

Maybe it's a matter of horses for courses but I do easily 500km just M-F (2.5hrs a day) and then add some for weekends... iPod connector to the back of the standard 6 stack BT unit is enough for me... Luggage space is where things are safest to place it.. Anything in the back seat will easily clobber you in the head should the worse happen and plus you can't hide things in the back seat if it's anything like a laptop computer or anything even though that's not really advisable to do that.

Again, horses for courses...

Picked up some new wheels today from beaurepaires ($1367 fitted and balanced). 17X7 speedy wheels rolling in Nankang Ultra Sport SG - II's. Just drove them home today, so with a back seat full of old wheels there was no noticeable improvement, just a slightly firmer ride and a little more road noise noticable only at low speeds.

post-5931-1208332622_thumb.jpg

post-5931-1208332726_thumb.jpg

hi guys

I just bought a new model corolla and I was wondering what size are the front and rear speaker? are they 6"? also how big are the tweeter at the front?

all the stock speakers are 6", the mountings on the tweeters are universal so if you buy pretty much any 6" splits for the front you should be right - I had no trouble with it. But honestly, If you're only thinking of replacing the stock speakers... Dont bother unless you are prepared to spend some moolah on an excellent head unit (around about $1k) because the internal impedance, gain, and noise ratio's for the factory components is pretty darn good. Truth be told i never really felt that much of a difference between the stock speakers and my new ones until everything is cranked, or when listening to something like pink floyd.