The STUPID thread

theDefiant1

1) is it bad to have other keys hanging with the car key while its in the igition?

if there is a weight limit, how much can u put on. google researching says no more than 400g before it does any damage.

I personally haven't heard of damage occurring by having all your keys etc hanging off your car key, but no doubt there will be someone out there who has reported such. I used to have a bunch of keys for numerous things hanging off my car key (about 15 different keys in total) and the ignition tumbler never changed in it's feel.

I'm sure there would be a weight limit as after all it is extra stress, but for your average bunch of keys and keyrings, you should be fine. Get something that weight 400g and you will notice that you would have to have a fair few keys etc to reach that weight.

2) in regard to ABS light in the dash, does the light come on when its working or does it only light up and turn off when u start the engine so to make sure its functioning properly...

Most car's I have come across, the ABS light is only there as a system self-check light and a malfunction indicator. It should only light under the following conditions:

1) When you start the car. It should turn on for a few seconds or so then turn off. This indicates everything is okay.

2) When there is a problem with the system. The light should illuminate and stay on to tell you that something is wrong and you should have it checked out.

thanks for the reply. reason why i asked question 1 is that since i have put in ES engine mounts, there was a certain vibration at 3 to 4k rpm. found out that it was the key in the igition and solved the problem by just having a bit of extra weight with the car keys.

now for the other 2 or 3 vibrations coming else in the car lol.... <_<

Solid engine mounts create more noise, vibration, harshness (NVH).

Hence why I don't have them; I put solid bushes in my previous car and it got really loud.

SOFT ..... *meow*

ok folks another stuuuuuuupit question:

i bought castrol windscreen washer fluid for my car ages ago but i looked on the bottle it said 1.2% ammonia v/w. then i thought:

ammonia = bleach = bad on paint = true?

then i thought, i'm diluting it 25ml:2000ml water so it wouldn't be as bad?

ok folks another stuuuuuuupit question:

i bought castrol windscreen washer fluid for my car ages ago but i looked on the bottle it said 1.2% ammonia v/w. then i thought:

ammonia = bleach = bad on paint = true?

then i thought, i'm diluting it 25ml:2000ml water so it wouldn't be as bad?

Well put it this way. If your washer fluid concentrate contains 1.2% ammonia, then when you dilute that 25mL into 2000mL of water, you will end up with about 0.015% ammonia per 2L of washer fluid.

I wouldn't be concerned about that.

my car feels faster lower to the ground then higher.

y?

It's the perspective of how you see the ground. Because the ground is closer to you you, it seems like it is moving quicker.

Just like how when you are driving (or sitting passenger looking out the window) and the trees etc that are closer to the car appear to be flying by, whereas the trees etc that are further from the car seem to 'move' much slower. Basically the same idea, but in reference to the road.

my car feels faster lower to the ground then higher.

y?

It's the perspective of how you see the ground. Because the ground is closer to you you, it seems like it is moving quicker.

Just like how when you are driving (or sitting passenger looking out the window) and the trees etc that are closer to the car appear to be flying by, whereas the trees etc that are further from the car seem to 'move' much slower. Basically the same idea, but in reference to the road.

One fun way of playing around with that effect is to stand right up the front of a bus or coach (or other flat-fronted high-mounted cabin), and look at the road ahead of you, then slowly bring your head down to look closer to the front of the vehicle - because there is no bonnet to hide the fast-moving road, it can be quite trippy watching the road "accelerate" under you.

I think the reason why foggies have a yellow tinge to them is because they cut through the fog a lot better than white beams of light which gets refelcted back from the fog.

Proven to be BS/old wives tale etc. It has more to do with illumination and the eye recognising differences in colour than it does actual penetration of the fog (all visible light penetrates fog the same amount, you need to increase wavelength massively (ie so it is the same order of magnitude as the size of the water droplets) for there to be any sort of colour-specific filtering/scattering effect.

The purpose of foggies is to reduce the glare that is reflected back at the driver from fog as the light is dispersed at a different angle to that of the headlights. The yellow colour does a better job at reducing some of the blinding glare compared to white light when it is reflected from the moisture in the fog. Yellow light has the longest wavelength after red lights and that is why yellow foggies appear to cut through fog.

The yellow hue is used as a saftey precaution as it is not as blinding as white foggies towards oncoming traffic.

PS. Have you tried driving in the snow+low visibility with white foggies compared to yellow foggies? I find that yellow foggies does a better job.

Edited by dyslexik

Seriously tho..... What really IS the price of fish?

If your referring to foggies, ask yourself:

Q:Do I want my car to look good?

A: Go get 12000K bulbs.

OR

Q:Do I want to be able to see through the fog better whilst driving?

A:You cannot have red foggies (largest wavelength that can be seen with the human eye) as it is illegal. Therefore, the next best thing is the yellow/amber which is legal.

Edited by dyslexik

I think the reason why foggies have a yellow tinge to them is because they cut through the fog a lot better than white beams of light which gets refelcted back from the fog.

Proven to be BS/old wives tale etc. It has more to do with illumination and the eye recognising differences in colour than it does actual penetration of the fog (all visible light penetrates fog the same amount, you need to increase wavelength massively (ie so it is the same order of magnitude as the size of the water droplets) for there to be any sort of colour-specific filtering/scattering effect.

The purpose of foggies is to reduce the glare that is reflected back at the driver from fog as the light is dispersed at a different angle to that of the headlights. The yellow colour does a better job at reducing some of the blinding glare compared to white light when it is reflected from the moisture in the fog. Yellow light has the longest wavelength after red lights and that is why yellow foggies appear to cut through fog.

The yellow hue is used as a saftey precaution as it is not as blinding as white foggies towards oncoming traffic.

PS. Have you tried driving in the snow+low visibility with white foggies compared to yellow foggies? I find that yellow foggies does a better job.

You missed the point of what I was saying. Visible light is roughly equally scattered by fog, no one wavelength works better than any other because they are several orders of magnitude shorter than the water droplets. If you ever see the phenomenon known as a "fog-bow" you'll notice that there isn't the separation of colours like a rainbow, because the light is being scattered evenly (with a rainbow you're actually getting reflection off the inside of the water droplet, which is significantly bigger than the droplets inside fog, and a different phenomenon). Yellow is also a universally recognised colour for "caution", remember that half the point of fog-lights is for other people to be able to see you

What is correct in your post is the role that glare plays, however your basis behind it isn't exactly true. The whole phenomenon is best described HERE, from where the following quotes come

What explains the persistent subjective preference amongst experienced poor-weather drivers for yellow fog lamps, despite decades of white fog lamp prevalence? Selective yellow light can improve a driver's ability to see in fog or rain or snow, but not because it 'penetrates fog better' or 'reflects less off droplets' as is commonly thought. That effect is known as Rayleigh Scattering, and is why the sky appears blue. However, it occurs only when the droplet size is equal or smaller than the wavelength of the light, which is certainly not the case with ordinary fog, rain or snow. Roadway Fog droplets are several orders of magnitude larger than visible light wavelengths, so there's no Rayleigh Scattering.

So, why do yellow fog lamps seem to work better? It's because of the way the human eye interacts with different colors of light. Blue and violet are very difficult for the human optical system to process correctly. They are the shortest visible wavelengths and tend to focus in front of our eyes' retinae, rather than upon it. To demonstrate this to yourself, find a dark blue store front sign or something else that's a dark, pure blue against a dark background in the absence of white lightfrom any appreciable distance, it's almost impossible for your eyes to see the blue lighted object as a sharply defined form;the edges blur significantly. Deep blue runway lights exhibit the same effect; check it out the next time you land at night.

Blue also is a very difficult color of light to look at; it stimulates the reaction we call glare. Within the range of allowable white light, bluer headlamps have been shown to be 46% more glaring than yellower ones for a given intensity of light see studies here and here. So, it seems culling the blue out of the spectrum lightens the optical workload and reduces glare. For a more detailed examination of this effect with respect to driving in foul weather, see Bullough & Rea's study on the topic.

I feel like I'm repeating myself here, because this was all covered in great detail in an earlier thread discussing this matter. Besides, fog lights these days are almost universally NOT yellow, as the theory behind their initial implementation with yellow light was not properly grounded in science (or not understood properly at the time).

What I was trying to get at is what is already stated in your link although science will state otherwise now.

"So, why do yellow fog lamps seem to work better? It's because of the way the human eye interacts with different colors of light. Blue and violet are very difficult for the human optical system to process correctly. They are the shortest visible wavelengths and tend to focus in front of our eyes' retinae, rather than upon it."

Also from your link above is this: Bullough & Rea's Study

From the Abstract

Although evidence exists to support the claim that yellow light can be perceived as less “glaring” or “distracting” than white light of equal luminance, it is not clear whether backscattered light of different colors are differentially effective for driver comfort or for driver performance.

From the Discussion

Although the results of the present study are consistent with recommendations for using yellow lamps for perturbed atmospheres, the difference in s/p ratio between conventional tungsten-halogen lamps and yellow-filtered lamps is small, and therefore suggests that yellow-tinted headlamps would have only a small impact on performance or on subjective ratings.

However, filters currently used in such lamps are not designed to optimize both transmittance and s/p ratio. It is possible to design a yellow or amber filter for a halogen headlamp that results in a higher transmittance and a lower s/p ratio than those used on existing products. Such a lamp-filter combination would need to have a low s/p ratio and relatively high photopic transmission to provide measurable performance benefits. Of course, tungsten-halogen lamps are not the only viable technology available for automotive forward lighting. High-intensity discharge headlamps based on metal halide (MH) lamp technology are currently being sold on a number of automobile models[32]. The SPDs of MH lamps depend upon the concentration and chemistry of various halide mixtures that are added into the lamp's arc stream[33]. The correlated color temperature (CCT) of such lamps can range from less than 3000 K to over 7000 K. Estimates from MH headlamp manufacturers indicate that such systems produce twice the lumens as a halogen headlamp system of equal wattage[32].

The s/p ratios of several commercially available MH sources range from about 1.5 to 2.0[33], in comparison to a halogen headlamp's s/p ratio of around 1.5. While MH lamps alone do not seem to offer advantages over conventional headlamps with respect to their s/p ratio, their higher light output relative to halogen lamps means that such headlamps could perhaps be used with colored filters, providing low s/p ratios that would be less visually distracting than that from a halogen lamp while still having greater light output. Moreover, the chemical mixture of a MH lamp could be adjusted so that the s/p ratio could be greatly reduced.

From the Conclusion

"The s/p ratios of currently available yellow-filtered headlamps do not differ enough from conventional halogen headlamps for this effect to be significant in practical situations, but the design of filters that optimize both transmittance and s/p ratio might result in yellow- or perhaps orange-colored light that would provide a measurable benefit under perturbed atmospheric conditions."

Edited by dyslexik

I'll also point out that the F1 drivers at the Singapore GP use yellow visors on their helmets.

Same thing with skiiers, it's to filter the glare, but has nothing to do with fog penetration/dispersion/scattering.

I'll also point out that the F1 drivers at the Singapore GP use yellow visors on their helmets.

Same thing with skiiers, it's to filter the glare, but has nothing to do with fog penetration/dispersion/scattering.

To add mine, cyclist as well as sharp shooters uses yellow lenses for "sunglasses"

To add mine, cyclist as well as sharp shooters uses yellow lenses for "sunglasses"

Same as urine. So drunks can see their pee against the white porcelain.

Same as urine. So drunks can see their pee against the white porcelain.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeff you mofo!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

A question was raised to me last year. "Does porting the headers effectively convert the corolla sportivo from a 1.8L to a 2.0L?"

no because you're not changing the capacity of the engine

More stupid questions from urs truly ;)

With ported headers does it make ur car have a bit more "grunt" sound?

And also i feel that 1st n 2nd gears arent showing a bigger difference in torque aa 3rd. If this is true, y is that?

It's just perception. The lower gears are short so don't feel as good as third does; bad explanation I know but 'feel' things are always hard to explain.

My question.

Helmet visor colours. Choices of clear, yellow, smoke and mirror silver. Clear obviously is good for night use, smoke is for some sunlight filtering, I've read mirror silver is good in direct sunlight, and yellow for rain/overcast days. True? Looking to you Hiro.

My question.

Helmet visor colours. Choices of clear, yellow, smoke and mirror silver. Clear obviously is good for night use, smoke is for some sunlight filtering, I've read mirror silver is good in direct sunlight, and yellow for rain/overcast days. True? Looking to you Hiro.

All seem reasonably valid. Clear gives maximum light penetration (or minimal light reflection/absorption) so good for night-time (as long as you know you're not going to get direct light in your eyes from on-coming traffic, which you probably wouldn't if you are wearing a helmet. Smoke is basically a tint so will cut the overall percentage of light transmitted and thus is good for direct sunlight and overall bright days. Mirror will deal with direct light too as you are reflecting a significant proportion of the light rather than transmitting it. And the yellow has been discussed before about dealing with glare (won't let you see further in fog though :P) reflecting off of rain drops and puddles, but only if you've got a significant light-source as well, so rainy-overcast mightn't be the best time to use it (works well for snow though)

The purpose of using yellow lenses for skiing and dirt bike riding is to better see the bumps and humps outlines on the snow and dirt surfaces respectively. Also at raves, you can wear coloured or tinted sunnies to filter direct flashing lights especially when the strobe lights goes spastic when the music peaks.

Using Iridium coated lenses (Gold, blue, silver, etc) on helmets for sun glare, allows the wearer to ultimately filter UV rays as well as reflect direct sunlight. It is a better alternative to tinted polarized lenses. Don't use any of these lenses at night.