Unichip

joeyee

Hi,

It comes to my mind, since after i have my blitz intake and CES exhaust and extractors, I have been looking for an ECU upgrade to fin tune my car.

Now, I have been searching with the following options:

1. Apexi NEO SAFC - cheapest option, but no timing change and need to find the wiring diagram (total $700-800 inc dyno tuned)

2. Unichips - They claim 15KW atw but some ppl said the claim figure is incorrect ($1350 dyno tuned)

3. Motec M400 $2800 + install + tune

So which one is better?

Could always throw the greddy emanage blue into the mix.

1. Not worth it in my opinion, 2nd hand greddy blue would be a better option. Might as well include the camcon against it

2. I think this one would be best for your application, question is how far do you want to do in terms of engine mods

3. Complete overkill, no need. People running turbo setups and highly tuned n/a engines use the Apexi PFC. Motec would be good for motorsport application when every single kw counts and complete control is essential

Cheers

Well I have a unichip in my car and I must say its one of the best mods. However I did get the unichip at a really good price.

My car was tuned at AUTOTECH ENGINEERING and achieved 112kw atw, ignoring the outright power my torque curve had shifted back and increased. I compared my graph with others with the unichip, and my torque curve was exactly the same. Outright power is not everything, the MPH on the 1/4 mile is what matters. I have seen so many people claiming they have this much kws atw and not being able to pull a MPH to match.

Now that I have finished uni I will be heading down to WSID with my mates to see what MPH I can pull.

Well I have a unichip in my car and I must say its one of the best mods. However I did get the unichip at a really good price.

My car was tuned at AUTOTECH ENGINEERING and achieved 112kw atw, ignoring the outright power my torque curve had shifted back and increased. I compared my graph with others with the unichip, and my torque curve was exactly the same. Outright power is not everything, the MPH on the 1/4 mile is what matters. I have seen so many people claiming they have this much kws atw and not being able to pull a MPH to match.

Now that I have finished uni I will be heading down to WSID with my mates to see what MPH I can pull.

Was that on a stivo or just the 122 mate?

That would be with the sportivo. Dynometers are tools to help with tuning, they rarely ever give an accurate figure. Kinda like how people do research and publish journals and papers. With a aftermarket piggyback or standalone the power increase may not be much, but the torque down low is really noticeble.

Hi,

It comes to my mind, since after i have my blitz intake and CES exhaust and extractors, I have been looking for an ECU upgrade to fin tune my car.

Now, I have been searching with the following options:

1. Apexi NEO SAFC - cheapest option, but no timing change and need to find the wiring diagram (total $700-800 inc dyno tuned)

2. Unichips - They claim 15KW atw but some ppl said the claim figure is incorrect ($1350 dyno tuned)

3. Motec M400 $2800 + install + tune

So which one is better?

1) probably not ur best choice ....

2) had this on the car previously and does some good things for the car but with the path i took was limited in unleashing the cars potential but no complaints from me.

3) the m400 is only the base level ecu .... add the vvt component for an extra $500 i think it was if not more and from memory i got quoted $4K all up to get the m400 sorted in my car .... probably a little over kill for what your looking for .... i think the autronic sm4 would probably be a better alternative for these dollars but again a little overkill

4) Emange/Vmanage ..... this combination would be interesting to see on a car .... the emanage is pretty much on par with the unichip i think ..... unless the emanage junkies can shed some light as to what the emanage does that the unichip doesnt .... as i said would be interesting to see adding the vmanage will do for you

5) if u consider 4 then i think the power FC is on the table given that the cost of option 4 will probably sum upto the same amount as a PFC. This is what im running at the moment .... no complaints other than a few minor bugs which i think the guys might have ironed out will c this week

depends on how agressive the tuner was with the additional igniton advance.

If they pushed it too far and too close to the knock limit all it takes is one average tank of fuel and you will be making less power than stock.

Once the stock ECU hit's it's knock threshold it pulls all the ignition advance out, when that happens you're basically left with the advance the unichip/emanage etc is trying to add in, which is less than the ECU's original advance amount.

This isn't such a bad thing since if you get a bad batch of fuel, or run on crappy low octane, the ECU can protect the motor via the knock sensor. With the PowerFc you dont have this protection, if it detects knock, it doesn't perform any ignition timing correction, so you need a good ignition map that is able to cope with the varying quality of fuel and conditions.

Ignition timing is where the power is made in NA.

Edited by rollamods

and they'd be wrong.

Emanage can control fuel, ignition and external outputs. Can also log to laptop/Profec E-01 etc.

Anyone with a laptop and the support tool cable can tune an emanage blue, this is not the case with the unichip and you're stuck with certain tuners.

Edited by rollamods

Can anyone help me find a unichip to buy that will work with my JDM Corolla RUNX Z. I went to www.unichip.us and they have the matrix xrs listed and the pontiac vibe GT listed, i know they use the 2zzge but they are 180 hp and i would presume their ecu is designed for us fuel specs. What do you reccomend for me as i run 95 octane (highest we get in Trinidad) with 3 bottles of octane boost. I have no mods yet but i expect to go CAI/Exhaust later on. Is Unichip even a good idea at all for me? Sorry if im asking to many questions :)