Engine Drama's

hope this will help. I just got my car back this afternoon from toyota. They replaced a new timing belt tensioner and the tapping noise that i had before all gone. Noise does travel from one side to another especially there are lots of metal parts in the surrounding area

*timing chain

Not timing chain. It is called 'tensioner'-according to the mechanic from toyota. It looks like a small suspension that attached to the engine. It is situated some where around the power brake fluid reservoir or to be exact is behind the drive belt. You can ask toyota mechanic for more details. I just tell everyone what i know

if you dont get it checked out now sombody is gonna be in for a rebuild....

fortunately 1zz's are cheaps as chips and there is plenty to choose from

here are the parts that the guys are talking abotu for those that havn't seen them before.

the thing in the 2nd pic pushes the part in the first bit towards the center of the motor to tighten the timing chain.

side.jpg

cover.jpg

chain.jpg

hope this will help. I just got my car back this afternoon from toyota. They replaced a new timing belt tensioner and the tapping noise that i had before all gone. Noise does travel from one side to another especially there are lots of metal parts in the surrounding area

*timing chain

Not timing chain. It is called 'tensioner'-according to the mechanic from toyota. It looks like a small suspension that attached to the engine. It is situated some where around the power brake fluid reservoir or to be exact is behind the drive belt. You can ask toyota mechanic for more details. I just tell everyone what i know

I think what Tayles meant is that the Corolla does not have a timing belt as you stated, it has a timing chain. The tensioner is the tensioner, the timing belt is a chain not a belt.