Engine Drama's

hi guys. i need some help...

i got a problem... today... i just start to hear ticking in the motor.. around 3000rpm the ticking gets louder.. then it dissapears...

its like someone tapping a coke can... wat could it be.. the noise sounds like its comming from inside the engine...

wat could it be?

thanks.... andrew

Edited by DuGong

yes its tund.. wasnt like this for about 9 months... it was smooth.. after watching videos about engine tappings.. it could be but im not the mechanic to judge... may take it to a mechanic to get it checkd out on the week end..

yeah i hear the tapping aswell although mine is on idle. i know the 2zz are known to make loud tapping noises but my tapping on idle just seems to be really loud. i can hear it clearly from like 10 metres away. am i getting worked up over nothing? or shouldnt i be worried.

i think i have the same problem as you do. The noise is coming from the timing belt tensioner. I already booked in to get it done under warranty next week. Will let you know whether this will fix my problem.

I would start with the basics first.

I had once over-oiled my airfilter which in turn soiled my MAF and caused my engine to ping/knock at about 3000rpm when accelerating under load such as going up a hill or full of passengers.

I cleaned the filter again, cleaned the MAF with spray on electrical contact cleaner (JAYCAR green can) and it's all gone.

So give your MAF a clean, and fill up with 98 at a different Petrol station than your usual and see if this makes the problem go away. Hopefully it's as simple as this.

just clean the maf... checkd the oil.. and then... there was very little oil in the system... could be the problem atm..

im taking the car to the mechanic tomoro to get checkd out.. thanks for the input guys...

btw... was a recomend oil i should use 15-40? or 10-40?

was going to suggest oil but thought you might have already checked that weekly with the charger.

Are you running a catch can to see how much is being blown into the intake?

If it's burning oil I'd run the 15W

Lucky 1ZZ long motors are cheap ;)

today...

went to the mechanic... emptied out the oil.. 1l as left... oil level really ultra low. topped up with elf oil... added the nulon lifter thingy... could be a lifter stuck... noise still there.. if this continues.. stage 2 will start in 5000 ks....

---

new lifters, spring and retainers, crower stg 2 cams....

new lifters, spring and retainers, crower stg 2 cams....

u know MWR is having a big sale at the moment ;) ;) ;)

and considering the conversion rate u will save urself some pretty pennies ;) ;) ;)

Mate steer clear of that Nulon stuff. It will cause more drama's than it will fix. It's full of suspended solids like moly's teflon's and graphites etc that like to clog up oil pick ups and the like. They do not do what they claim.

As for the ticking noise my guess could be broken piston rings. You did say it is low on oil so maybe that is the reason why.

if the noise is getting worse I'd be hesitant to drive the car. Will most likely do a lot more damage. Wouldn't suprise me if the engine lets go completely before 5000km is completed.

Take it to a mechanic that knows what they're doing and they should be able to pinpoint the source.

Edited by rollamods

ooo ****.. its sounds like its getting worse and worse...

'

well.. i'll get it check out in 5000ks... its reallly that bad... i'll have to decide then...

damn thats not good man better to get it looked at asap i think before something more serious does happen..

hope this will help. I just got my car back this afternoon from toyota. They replaced a new timing belt tensioner and the tapping noise that i had before all gone. Noise does travel from one side to another especially there are lots of metal parts in the surrounding area

The sounds get really loud when the engine is getting hot. But with the new part, all gone. I am happy with that. They also told me that they re-adjusted some of the metal air-cond pipes.

hope this will help. I just got my car back this afternoon from toyota. They replaced a new timing belt tensioner and the tapping noise that i had before all gone. Noise does travel from one side to another especially there are lots of metal parts in the surrounding area

*timing chain