A warning to those with Smart Keys

Don't lose your smart keys, they cost a bloody fortune to replace...

Smart Key transmitter: $405.60

Manual Key to slide into transmitter: $247.15 (yep, just for the separate key - a flat bit of metal with a plastic end)

Manual Key cut to suit: $30.00

Programming/Coding: $50.00

So, $750 or so later... Toyota should be reamed for outrageous pricing on some of their parts.

And whatever you do, don't lose both smart keys, otherwise you'll be up for many thousands! That includes replacing certification, ID and steering lock ECUs. Nasty!

Don't lose your smart keys, they cost a bloody fortune to replace...

Smart Key transmitter: $405.60

Manual Key to slide into transmitter: $247.15 (yep, just for the separate key - a flat bit of metal with a plastic end)

Manual Key cut to suit: $30.00

Programming/Coding: $50.00

So, $750 or so later... Toyota should be reamed for outrageous pricing on some of their parts.

And whatever you do, don't lose both smart keys, otherwise you'll be up for many thousands! That includes replacing certification, ID and steering lock ECUs. Nasty!

on a lighter note, order a spare when you are ordering the car... think it cost about $400

Rather have an expensive key + lots of hassles than some low-life buying one for $50 for a replacement easily and then taking your car without breaking a thing... maybe hang it around your neck and hide it under your shirt so one doesn't lose it next time?

But then again, why would you want to lose your keys to anything?

i recently broke our key to our corolla when i slipped on our driveway in the rain and fell into the car .....the key snapped in the ignition. and yes ouch!! our drive way is steep and slippery.

only costed $35 to replace. bought 2 blank toyota 2 botton keys from ebay for $50 so thats $25 each. then it cost $10 to cut from mister mint. swapped the insides using a screw driver and presto!!

it pays to look around first took me 2 weeks of research before i found a cheaper alternative. blank key from penrith toyota would have costed me $210 for one. and its bullcrap about needed it coded they said it would cost $70 to code when we swapped the insides it worked fine so what ever to them.......... anyways cause i had 2 blank keys i made one spare for the kluger too. so all up cost $70 for the 2 keys. so feeling proud :D

p.s. i think it's stupid that different toyotas have different pricing.

bought roof racks yesterday and rang 4 toyotas before i got a decent price they were all about $50 in price difference per toyota. DUMB!! oh and $230 for cross bars to fit on my rails that i already have it freaking expensive!!

Just a lil tip if any in west aus Perth,There are selected locksmiths & sparkys that have duplicated some of the Toyota smartkeys and half as cheep as the originals cut & coded complete..just a lil insider info <_<

• 3 weeks later...

I was just asking about this kind of thing over on the Camry forum...

I have a 2000 Camry, recently purchased and only came with 1 key. (The key comes with a seperate remote opener unit; key itself doesn't appear to have any kind of IR/other communicative device, but I could be wrong? It's certainly bulky enough to be hiding something, but there's no obvious sensor like I've seen on other "smart" keys)

So - I went to Mister Minute and asked how much for a duplicate key. $140. I basically laughed and walked away - didn't ask if that included a replacement remote opener as well...

M_M's method wouldn't work in my case as I don't have another "insides" to swap into a "blank" key...

Is there another way I could program a blank to work in my car?

cheers

cosmic

I was just asking about this kind of thing over on the Camry forum...

I have a 2000 Camry, recently purchased and only came with 1 key. (The key comes with a seperate remote opener unit; key itself doesn't appear to have any kind of IR/other communicative device, but I could be wrong? It's certainly bulky enough to be hiding something, but there's no obvious sensor like I've seen on other "smart" keys)

So - I went to Mister Minute and asked how much for a duplicate key. $140. I basically laughed and walked away - didn't ask if that included a replacement remote opener as well...

M_M's method wouldn't work in my case as I don't have another "insides" to swap into a "blank" key...

Is there another way I could program a blank to work in my car?

cheers

cosmic

My post relates to Toyota Smart Entry/Smart Keys, not standard keys as such in your Camry. But now you've asked, the key you refer to is about $75 (plus cutting and programming) for a genuine master key. You MUST have an existing master key in order to program a new master key (black in colour). If your key is a sub key (grey), you cannot program any more keys, the immobiliser ECU and possibly engine ECU must be replaced and matched to new master keys. The remotes are about $35 each, and are quite easy to program (key on/off 3 times, key on, security light on, hold remote near glove box and press to program, plus any existing remotes).

Edited by pinzvidz

My post relates to Toyota Smart Entry/Smart Keys, not standard keys as such in your Camry. But now you've asked, the key you refer to is about $75 (plus cutting and programming) for a genuine master key. You MUST have an existing master key in order to program a new master key (black in colour). If your key is a sub key (grey), you cannot program any more keys, the immobiliser ECU and possibly engine ECU must be replaced and matched to new master keys. The remotes are about $35 each, and are quite easy to program (key on/off 3 times, key on, security light on, hold remote near glove box and press to program, plus any existing remotes).

Thanks for that! That's exactly the info I've been after.

I have black handled key and single button fob. I guess all I really need is the spare key, incase the wife locks the master in the car... though it's good to know that I can easily reprogram a fob by myself without too much problem (it needs a new battery; only works within 1 metre radius of car at best).

Cheers!

No prob. The remotes for those are sealed, btw. You can probably try and bust it open if you need to replace the battery, don't know if they're soldered in or not? We always replace them for customers.

How to program additional master key;

All doors closed, insert existing master key, lock to on 5 times, 5th time keep it on, open and close drivers door 6 times, remove key, insert new key, switch to on, keep on for more than 60 seconds, remove key, open door to finish procedure.

So get your genuine key, get it cut, follow the above and you're all done!

Edited by pinzvidz