Purchasing Gen 3 Camry

yun

Hi Guys'

I'm just looking for a Camry for my GF.

Saw this Red Gen3 Camry CSi 1993 with 2.2L engine on it.

DOne less than 200K and the seller said it has done some Service such as timing belt, radiator, etc.

But i'm concern with the issues that he said there is a Slow oil leaks some where from the engine, as he reckon it drips when the car in park but not losing any engine oil. Also there is a smell of burning oil, which possibly comes from the oil dripping into the Exhaust.

I have not really seen the car as the seller is away. But would like you opinion on what is the likely problem with his Descriptions. I think it's the Head Gasket is cracked? If it is, is it expensive to get it fix? I just want to get my GF a good Reliable car.

Please Advice'

Thanks

Edited by yun

well for one cams r very reliable cars thts y lots of family opt to purchase em....it could be just a head gasket....if its buring oil thts not a good thing....i wld get a mechanic to help u check it out....cam parts r quite cheap....if its a reliable car u want i would def. stick with lookin at a cam...how much r u willing to spend?

Thanks for the Replies guys'

She is looking for around AU$3500 max, but lesser is better of course.

Also what about a 1995 Camry Vienta CSi but it has done 320K km and the seller states:

*** Recently serviced with synthetic oil & Filter

*** Serviced regularly every 5000 - 7000 Kms

*** Air Conditioning works perfectly

*** Only used 95octane fuel

*** Everyday car thats only been driven on highways to work and back

*** Some wear and tear with rear tints mainly due to age

*** Body has no major dints or scratches. Only few marks due to age but nothing you could see unless looked at really closely - No rust anywhere.

I heard the V6 are pretty bad if it's not been looking after properly.

cheers

Thanks for the Replies guys'

She is looking for around AU$3500 max, but lesser is better of course.

Also what about a 1995 Camry Vienta CSi but it has done 320K km and the seller states:

*** Recently serviced with synthetic oil & Filter

*** Serviced regularly every 5000 - 7000 Kms

*** Air Conditioning works perfectly

*** Only used 95octane fuel

*** Everyday car thats only been driven on highways to work and back

*** Some wear and tear with rear tints mainly due to age

*** Body has no major dints or scratches. Only few marks due to age but nothing you could see unless looked at really closely - No rust anywhere.

I heard the V6 are pretty bad if it's not been looking after properly.

cheers

320k is a lot of klms the v6 seem to have head gasket problems over the 200k mark stick with the 5s 4 clylinder cheaper to run and less costly to do up

Haydng

if its 320kms of highway driving then tht is jst fine...with it being reg. serviced make sure u can see some reciepts or log book....is this car in dubbo by ne chance? it is true tht v6 takes more looking after than the 4ies...i got a 4cycl 95 csi cam....never ever had ne problems with it ever...tht being said its only done like 105kms...if the camry is taken care of then it will last way more than 300kms...

if its 320kms of highway driving then tht is jst fine...with it being reg. serviced make sure u can see some reciepts or log book....is this car in dubbo by ne chance? it is true tht v6 takes more looking after than the 4ies...i got a 4cycl 95 csi cam....never ever had ne problems with it ever...tht being said its only done like 105kms...if the camry is taken care of then it will last way more than 300kms...

The car is in Kellysville i think in NSW. As i'm in melbourne.

I guess it'll be better to stick with the 4cyl then.

i'll make an apointment with the guy that have an oil leaks. Would like to check out where about it leaks.

Cheers

ebay camrys :) im located in melb too, i got a distant relo that can hook me up with car parts, his works at the car wrecker and he sold me a suspension set for my old camry for $60, bang for buck ay :D

is this the camry mate ur looking at? http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/priva...=0&trecs=39 ... coz its unregistered...if i were u i wldnt get an unregistered car jst coz there mite be a reason y its not registered...for 5gs u can get a decent camry v6...u shld spend a lil extra its worth it....

Edited by wishbone

okay well personally i wld opt for the 95 vienta coz it has been regularly serviced and used with good oil...so the owner has taken care of it...and its also a V6..only downfall is its 320Kms (but being a camry it shldnt be a worry) jst make sure u got enuf cash for an engine rebuild if need be...the second car (the 93 camry)...well the only thing i can say is its Ks is quite low.....and the dude selling the car hasnt said much abt servicing or the cars condition...and another con is its a 4cycl...bt nonetheless i would test drive both and view the car for urself before concluding...bt by the sounds of it the 95vienta seems a good buy esp if wat the guy says abt servicing is true!!

good luke mate....

thanks Wishbone'

I was opt for the V6 and kinda worried with the 320K. How much approx will it be for Engine Rebuild? I have a Friend that used to own one of these and he said never had a problem until 500K on his car, which by the time he sold it then for different car.

cheers

Hey mate,

I wouldn't touch the 4 banger there... oil leaks are a no no... could also be burning oil too for all you know... you'd find out down the track that the piston rings would need re-doing or sumfin insane.

You're best off looking for another 500 bucks, a better working Camry will a proper service history.

If you come across a Camry with proper servicing (every 5-10k), then there shouldn't be any issues, regardless on engine type. I have had both the 4 banger and the 3VZ V6 and never had an issue with any. Check the engine mounts first though... they seem to go after 10-12 years.

no probz mate...an engine rebuild can cost up to 3gs or even more depending on the car...bt for this car i think it maybe less coz im quite sure u can pick up one of these reconditioned engines for less than 3gs....well considering this car has been well looked after im sure it will last till 500Ks or even more..... a good tip would be go to take a test drive on a whole stack of camry vientas soo u can get a feel for how the car handles....when my mate went to purchase his car...wat he did first was find the car he liked (which was quite cheap) then he went and took a test drive of the same model but with a higher price tag on it (coz they were supposdly well looked after) then took a test drive of the cheaper car....felt tht they both drove similarly and both head decent engines...the only reason y the other one was cheap was coz the body wasnt perfect a few dings here and there and minor scratches all over....lol....sorry abt the mini story bt yeah take a few test drives of other camrys and then take this one for a spin....if u believe they both handle and drive well...then check the engine is clean and all electrics work....i would take a local mechanic...even tho he may charge u...its well worth it.....good luck mate

Edited by wishbone

Check the engine mounts first though... they seem to go after 10-12 years.

yeah thts a good tip whip...yeah the only prob i find with these gen camrys is the engine mounts...my ones only done 105ks and the engine mounts are gone...so check them out...bt engine mounts aint too expensive either....

I now have two Generation 3 Camry's, one is a 4 banger and the other, a V6. Both good cars. Very reliable, IF they are looked after regularly. Both have 235,000+ Km's on them, and they are still going strong. They are still economical, don't burn oil, or lose coolant. The 4 banger is just starting to drop oil. Still not a problem.

Don't be put off by these cars if they have done more than 160,000Kms. just stay away from the "bargains", the super cheapies, as they may well not be...remember, you can't really get a decent car for less than $2500. The one thing I love about the Gen 3 Camry's is, these beasts hardly rust! I have hardly seen a rustbucket example of ANY of these models. Have you? I just don't know where Toyota source their steel for these cars, it's definitely superior material.

When looking at a Camry you might want to buy, first check under the bonnet, check the oil level and colour. If it's really clean but way over the full mark it might have been topped up recently, maybe a sign it's eating a lot of oil. Check the coolant level and colour also. Look for oil leaks, another good sign the rings might be worn out. I personally would stay away from a car that has oil leaking from, say the rocker cover gasket. Then check the auto gearbox oil, if it looks even a little dirty, steer clear.

Don't know what else to add. I suppose what I said could apply to any car.