Thinking of buying a brand new Toyota?

October 07 I bought a brand new Hilux SR5 Extra Cab with duel fuel. There's something you might want to know that the dealer will not tell you. The Speedometer will be out by approximately 10%. If I'm travelling at 100 kph on my speedo I'm actually doing 91kph. I find this disgraceful. I called Toyota PR and discussed it with them, trying to find what solution they could offer and the only line I get is "that percentage complies with the Australian Standard and Toyota will not be making any changes to the speedo. Infact all Toyotas released after 2005 are approximately 10% out. As long as the speedo shows that you're going faster than you actually are within 10% then the speedo is in compliance." So if I want to travel at the designated speed limit I have to drive at 109kph on my speedo to do 100 kph. Is that crazy or what?

I wondered why at 100 kph on a freeway almost everyone seemed to be passing me...then on my way to my parents for Christmas, the road speed test reading over the freeway told me I was going 100 when my speedo read 110. I thought that the reading was off. Wouldn't have thought for a second it was my speedo. Then last week I got a NavMan which gives you your current speed. It's always about ten percent different to my speedo.

Last month my Dad bought a brand new Nissan Navara (sp?) and it too was out by approximately ten percent and dad hassled Nissan and they recalibrated his speedo. It's now out by 2 km at 100 kph.

I'm so tempted to take out a newspaper ad warning potential Toyota buyers of this.

Edited by Mister Gun

Have you actually taken the car back to your dealer for it to be looked at? Doesn't sound like it by your post.

Sounds like you have just had an issue, then got rant rant at TMCA.

Try talking to your dealer first in a calm rational manner. If it is something that can be fixed, then you will find that by taking out a newspaper ad, you will be sued for slander.

My 04 Corolla had a speedo around 11km/h out through from 40 km/h onwards.....Toyota service agent fixed it the day I took it to them.

If this was potentially an issue that was going to affect nearly all vehicles from 05 onwards, I think this would have been a bigger issue by now, especially since this particular Toyota forum hears of all this sort of this thing pretty quick....

I'd call your local dealer in the morning, and ask them rationally to look into it...you might be surprised

if u look at more of the newer cars u will see thts the case....its to combat speeding....just go by ur satnav....i use a gps system...mines 95 camry and its out by about 5ks....my parents got a new camry...and yeah same prob...u think ur doin 60...bt in fact ur goin like 51....i wouldnt worry abt it mate its jst tht u got a new car....jst go by ur SatNav...

wow what a rant. As Azza said, talk to your dealer, ask for a calibration, dont shoot first and ask questions later cos all your gonna do is make a d1ck of yourself.

All cars are out these days, speedos arent ever set accurately to combat speeding. perception is reality, very few people can accurately guess their speed without looking at the speedo. Just think, I wonder how many times the speedo has cost you a ticket. Be grateful.

I've been into the dealer and spoken to the Toyota mechanics at Doncaster and Melbourne City Toyota before I went to Toyota PR. It was actually the mechanics at both places who suggested I do that because they get complaints daily about it.

All cars are out these days, speedos arent ever set accurately to combat speeding.

It's because of the new rules manufacturers need to comply with since 2005 and it's not to combat speeding. This ADR ruling mirrors the UNECE regulations as this is one of the harmonised regs.

Having said there, there are devices you can connect to the OBD plugs that can extract the exact speed reading (amongst other things) you could put somewhere. Apexi make the i-Moni and RSM. All plug and play so no biggy if you want to remove it quickly however, just check for compatibility before buying.

I have seen another memeber in the Yaris/Echo section driving around with banners all over his car saying somthing like.... My brand new car has a default and Toyota won't fix it. (Something similar to that) but he got nothing in the end.

I know that with the Yaris, it was to do with wheel size as the base line model the YR was introduced into Oz with a smaller wheel size, hence an off tacho. Have a look at the specs of the Hilux from other parts of the world and compare.

Keep trying I guess. I noticed my Echo's speed owas out, merely mentioned it to the Toyota guys (albeit in Perth), and it was dealt with that afternoon after servicing. I don't know what is involved in the calibration process, but it was fine afterwards.