Timing Belt

wishbone

hey guys...just wandering when should i change the timing belt for a 95 camry with a 5sfe (2.2L) engine...which has abt 105,XXXkms on the clock??? i know its a non intereference engine but i do want to change it just before it does start to give way...coz i dont want to get it towed to a mechanic...(coz it would cost me at least 100buck to get it towed)....cheers!

damn i was told it change at 115 or 120....coz the original belt is supposd to last longer....the timing belt is the main belt in the engine right??? its the one thts hard to replace as opposed to the fan belt...and btw is the timing the one thts covered?? and is the fan belt the visible belt??

cheers

bah humbarg....i also have to get the water pump replaced, as well as engine mounts and get some new exhaust brackets.....is this gonna cost me more than 1gs?

possibly, however in addition to the timing belt and water pump, it would be worthwhile investing in the following: timing belt tensioner, front main oil seal, oil pump oil seals, idle bearing/s, rocker cover gasket, thermostat. All of these are cheap parts (i think the idle bearings are the most expensive, around $80?), but if you are on a budget, the ones mentioned higher up the order are more critical. These will take another couple of hours to do but it will be much cheaper than replacing each of these if they go bad individually (and also less headache-prone!).

All of this will be around $1k at a good independent mechanic.