Project El Cheapo III.T

RME1

Tein HR's came in yesterday, except i wasn't home and I didn't check the letter box till this morning. What a lovely way to start the day! :D Will go and pickup after work tonight. Track beast FTW!

Also, i ended up putting the original starletto dails in. It ended up that I had a blown fuse, which would explain why there was no illumunation. So i guess I was pretty close, but so far away from the end state I wanted that project to reach.

This will be sitting in the cupboard until i return to melbourne next year - The EL54 dails requires a little bit more rewiring and stuff, so I'll need back up smartness for that. No auto electrician wanted to try and attempt it (i rang up 6 of them :( ).

I'll endevour to sand the roof with 600 wet/dry today also. That way, the insects, bristles and any other contaminants will be removed.

Keep modding.

Jules

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

3rd coat. Wing mirrors steps to be completed: sand/prime/prime/prime/paint/polish Wheels too - minus the paint step

2926623_21_full.jpg

Coilovers being installed tomorrow

3rd coat. Wing mirrors steps to be completed: sand/prime/prime/prime/paint/polish Wheels too - minus the paint step

2926623_21_full.jpg

hello there cuz..just letting u noe im going ur cheapo method

rear sun shade ftw! :) ordering nxt week

thort ud be proud of that one haha

duno if i shuld have posted here ..but oh well haha

2926623_21_full.jpg

haha ur cousin is great :P saved me some money!!

Nice job! I see you acted on my advice :P Will you 'DIY paint it' with the left over spray paint from last time?

Kenneth, did you get a sun shade as well? how did dave save you money? El Cheapo CAI?

Coilovers fitted. Wing mirrors primed. :toast:

Coilovers: Harder than the GOOSE, but more comfortable? Maybe it could be the helper springs, who knows. The rear is stiff as and i feel that if she was tracked, we would definately get some over steer action. Only lowered the car by 0.5" inches. Didn't want to look suspect - not yet anyway :ph34r:

Mirrors: Look awesome. Mixes well with the colour scheme of things. Will probably apply another layer on the weekend depending if I CBB. Some over spray is on the handles, but I will mineral turps it out.

Light is dying really quickly now these days, so Elcheapo style work will have to be:

1. Well planned - it's always really spur of the moment

2. Quick prep - I didn't bother washing the mirrors clean, just sanded all the dirt off

3. Quick Packup - designated drying area for paint over night

Pics up soon.

Coilovers installed.

Ninja spec coilovers setup - only 1/2 inch drop.

Also painted the wing mirrors.

2926623_22_full.jpg

Here is a picture of the roof - sorry about the bad quality. SHe needs a few more coats till it is half decent.

2926623_23_full.jpg

Edited by RME1

Nice job! I see you acted on my advice :P Will you 'DIY paint it' with the left over spray paint from last time?

Kenneth, did you get a sun shade as well? how did dave save you money? El Cheapo CAI?

Davey told me bout the sunshade :P like HOW MUCH IT IS! so i went to pick one up... tinted it.. tinted it so dark it looks like black =.= but its on now

post-2797-1206706401_thumb.jpg

excuse me for the crappy phone camera night shot :P

Nice job boys :D All hatches that don't have a spoiler should consider this 'mod'. Factory - Value adding. Top notch and easily customisable. :D

Davey told me bout the sunshade :P like HOW MUCH IT IS! so i went to pick one up... tinted it.. tinted it so dark it looks like black =.= but its on now

post-2797-1206706401_thumb.jpg

excuse me for the crappy phone camera night shot :P

oh man..ken ure just so excited man..hahaha..looks good :)

Coilovers: Harder than the GOOSE, but more comfortable? Maybe it could be the helper springs, who knows. The rear is stiff as and i feel that if she was tracked, we would definately get some over steer action. Only lowered the car by 0.5" inches. Didn't want to look suspect - not yet anyway :ph34r:

Mirrors: Look awesome. Mixes well with the colour scheme of things. Will probably apply another layer on the weekend depending if I CBB. Some over spray is on the handles, but I will mineral turps it out.

Light is dying really quickly now these days, so Elcheapo style work will have to be:

2. Quick prep - I didn't bother washing the mirrors clean, just sanded all the dirt off

Pics up soon.

hahah drop it more buddy..then u can be as low as ill be 2moro after i get my springs in :yahoo:

well done with the DIY painting..looks very unique--saving you lots of $$$ so u can come back over here sometime.

oo and u know the case of the missing foglight cover..for some reason- found it was behind the door at work..someone playing a prank :(

Pics up soon.

hahah drop it more buddy..then u can be as low as ill be 2moro after i get my springs in :yahoo:

well done with the DIY painting..looks very unique--saving you lots of $$$ so u can come back over here sometime.

oo and u know the case of the missing foglight cover..for some reason- found it was behind the door at work..someone playing a prank :(

hehe with a lot of my stuff.. dont look @ it up close.. i think i will do more polish and polish and polish and it will look sweet soon :P

Well Dave, you can't have too many extra parts - u should probably hostage tie those bad boys back on :D

Do the Elcheapo CAI mod to ur mum's car :P ... i'm sure she'll appreciate it HAHAHA

Post a pic of ur car when she is dumped. Where is your blog!!! ??

I Ended up getting a tan today, working in a glorious day - there were some dark clouds before, so i was a little bit nervous, after spending a good 20 mins of preparation.

Here is an update of what has happened so far:

I changed manufacturer for paint, becuase they didn't have it at Big W. So I went with Watyl Rust KILL - Very nice. It comes on quite glossy. I diluted it with some turps and used it with a half decent foam roller.

2926623_24_full.jpg

See what happens after you've done a fresh coat of paint. FFS!!! Frikki'n die somewhere else ya stupid insects!!

2926623_26_full.jpg

THe new paint manufacturer. Tools required. And a half decent foam brush ($6!! WTF?)

DIY Spray BOOTH

Packaging Box. Cut half of the top and angle the sides for venting.

Resprayed the mirrors. Much nicer finish. I now know how to cover the mirrors properly HAHA .

2926623_27_full.jpg

Bright as!

2926623_28_full.jpg

I gave the mirrors a ******* load of coats and left it in the sun to dry. After about 3 hours, it was looking quite nice! I think i'm going to give the mirrors a roll on finish with the left over paint, then clear coat it to see whether or not it would be worth clear coating the roof.

Note: If you CBF wrapping the mirrors up ...you could always use a plastic bag! I should of used the left over packaging box, broke it down, and then used it as a cover for car instead of always preping with newspaper etc.etc.

If i CBB i may even give the wheels a go ...if i cbb.

Edited by RME1

2926623_29_full.jpg

2926623_30_full.jpg

2926623_31_full.jpg

See the over flow? :D The rubber seals will cover these marks. I still haven't sanded her down with the 1200 wet/dry. I bought the cheapest wax i could find - so i'll give it a go on friday/saturday. Go forth WOK Star! ....I heard Dan wanted his car hot pink LOL!

2926623_32_full.jpg

The gap isn't that much...it's just that the other pics are 'drive way spec'. I waxed the bonnet. Gave it a red hot go...is there a difference? (to be honest, i don't really :P) However i used some Elcheapo window cleaner. Awesome - Newspaper and the spray. Awesome.

2926623_33_full.jpg

Little details = POV camera phone

2926623_34_full.jpg

The wing mirrors look alright, considering I sprayed some clear coat on it :D I cleaned up the edges by just sanding around them...using a block of sand paper. - surprising results

THanks mate, gotta keep the spirit alive. Went on a cruise the other day. Awesome - Coilovers worked well, except the non dampening adjustment = constant pain over pot holes. I thought for a second or two there i was a pilot >_P or a rally driver in the Dakar Rocky stages >_<

Hopefully we'll be able to fully test the kit out on a track day. Will be gauging interest for TOCA NSW and AUStarlet ppls. :D Makin' the most of my time here in NSW ....there is even prospect of a 4efte conversion !

Steve: ...what can I say? I've been busy. :P One of the Austarlet ppls have named The Box...THE Smurf. HAHA

Edited by RME1

Maybe some gun metal grey action? Easier to clean etc. etc. Don't know as yet. At this time Possibily more testing (as it is more fun :D) . There a lots of twisties up here in Newy way...like ridiculously twisty - initial D style!

Going to be cutting sick with the testing - Wakefield is on the cards and is slowly building up momentum. Lovely.

Will be posting EOI's about it soon....waiting for XOOM's beast. :D ....unfortunately they don't let people ride as passengers :( :( x 241kw.

Been thinking about adding a tacho in participation of the potential track day...but at the end of the day, i'll have an EL55 dash installed (with more tech support). So i'll end up possibily just cruising around with no tacho. I know when she reaches 'max power' ...but i guess if i forget, a little weak buzzing noise = rev limiter HAHAHA :D

Keeping the Elcheapo spirit alive.

Edited by RME1

• 4 weeks later...

NINJA Mods: It's cold but the will is strong!

Inspired by NASCAR.

2926623_60_full.jpg

Results: Sick induction noises. Whilst we were at it, also drilled MASSIVE MASSIVE holes in the air box. Ninja spec, of course. - This will help heaps once the turbo conversion is installed.

Overall this was an 'expensive mod'. Two reasons:

1. It wasn't free ($25 for 1.8M of ducting. Seems ok, considering i used a little less than half)

2. Got bullied into once choice :( I hate that! (BOO@ Bunnings)

The noise is cool. Like 'LIft' except no power HAHA. Seems to Rev harder and quicker to 100kms. At least the brake ducting will also help on the track. Exciting times for Project ELcheapo.

The Conversion: 4EFTE.

Not exactly NA.

"Cheaper".

"Easier".

Will have to do.

This will happen before the end of the year. We've already sorted out the labour requirements (sort of)

Been shopping around for some prices: Range $3000 - $1700 (QLD/NSW)

- EP82

- EP91 Glanza

Must do Wakefield for Pre-Turbo testing.

Go team DIY.

Edited by RME1

More Nascar photos.... I still managed 450km out of the starlet, even whilst in 'Vtec" mode hAHA.

2926623_61_full.jpg

2926623_62_full.jpg

Half cut update:

Got a mate to inspect a half cut in QLD. A GLanza half cut @ 73,000km. Unfortunately, too good to be true. It seems like the half cut has been crashed. Sitting in the sun for 6 months, the seals have been damaged and will all need replacing.

End result. Not worth it. No wonder the auto shop were in no mood to send me any photos at all. Very unimpressed.

Random information:

1zzfe = 80-85kw atw.

4efte = 80-85kw atw. Good times.

There is a halfcut in sydney that has completed 93,000km but has been kept in doors and is in much better condition. Seems like the goods - got to get that bad boy/girl compression tested.

The journey continues.

Edited by RME1