Project El Cheapo III.T

RME1

Photo time: (Thanks Kam!)

1280_Dez.jpg

Scoop Demo & Aero Undertray Demo Aero Undertray Demo:

Nissan Patrol Turbo Scoop:

13c1_1.JPG

MDF.jpg

Nissan Patrol Scoop measures a fairly large 41.5cm x 34 cm x 3.5 cm - At the moment the DIY bunnings spec scoop is measuring the same size as a land scape A4 sheet of paper- the patrol scoop is 1.5 times the size. The demo is a pizza box cut to size and painted black for reference LOL.

As the upcoming Winton track day comes up, I am well aware that an inefficient supply of air into the intercooler will rob me of valuable killer wasps. It could be a bit too ricer for some, but I think it will be a 'value add' mod with regards to getting more air towards the TMIC. Function vs Rice...it is a very fine line for this mod. Hopefully when it is painted black, like the DIY Bunnings mod, it will be 'blend in of sorts'.

The MDF board is slightly short with regards to the width. Fail. However I should be able to use the extra front length and add extensions in that way. Hopefully they can overlap and provide a support structure for the underbody tray. At the moment I'm granny driving the current tank of petrol to provide a base line for the Under Tray mod.

Fingers crossed I can get into the 5L/100km's with this mod!

Edited by RME1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Project Scoop

In the midst of a track day, I bought a Nissan Patrol Bonnet Scoop. Heaps of props to the EXE Crew for offering me their insights and help for this install.

Highlights.

First drill hole = fail.

Drilled holes = Nuts not long enough = fail.

Bush Mechanic skills.

I was very determined to get this mod up and running before the weekend, luckily Bunnings is open until 8PM on sundays!!

Apologies for the bad photos - Camera phone on night mode = fail.

So - I ended up creating a splitter like function to cover/ block any excess air that would pass over the already pre-cut hole the good old reliable Bunnings spec grill was occuping.

Highlighted in the yellow box, i used the rear plastic from an S13 (Dez's shell) and cut it down to size. - This is pretty much to replicate a simplistic version of the WRX TMIC splitter

wrx_splitter_3.jpg

19TrackdayMods1.jpg

In the future, will probably raid Clarke Rubber to cover those edges as well. Further, will have to go there and buy Foam for the underside of the bonnet...

19TrackdayMods.jpg

You can see that the Patrol Scoop Fibre glass is visible under neith the bonnet. In the future, this will be dremmelled out - more air into TMIC = win.

Whilst the bonnet was up, I did this as well. Quick 5 second mod - air hose to air filter.

19TrackdayModsairpod.jpg

Action night time shot - Part EP91 / Part EP82 / Part Nissan Patrol.

19TrackdayMods2.jpg

It looks alright at night time - hopefully the scoop won't be too visible with a MATTBLACK bonnet LOL :roll:

Edited by RME1

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday 24 May 2009 - EXE & Circuit Club Winton Track Day

How exciting!

Pretty much smack bang on the 1 year mark, GGIII.T has been turbo. The Starlet finished her conversion May 20 2008 whilst I was undergoing placement in Newcastle.

Prior to that, however in the same year, the Tein coilovers were also installed.

To say that I was looking forward to this day is pretty much an understatement. The culmination of all our work had finally arrived!

Please see below for the results (in session order):

Passenger and Streets

02:01.9 01:57.7 01:58.8 02:00.5

Passenger and Streets

02:08.3 01:59.8 02:00.3 01:54.2 02:04.2

Passenger and Streets

01:55.4 01:54.2 01:53.9 01:52.9 01:53.6

Passenger and Streets *Fail*

02:00.1 02:00.8 02:12.1 02:05.0 02:14.4

Semis

01:59.1 01:52.2 01:51.2 01:56.7 01:51.3

Semis

02:12.1 01:56.0 01:56.8 ...Red Flag

Thoughts of the day:

- It was raining PB's!

- Passengers

- Semis ROCK

- Starlet rocked.

- EXE Track days will forever rock.

I guess that concludes the Project Starlet for me. At the end of the track day she started to blow a little bit of white smoke, which is indication that the turbo is getting old and probably needs to retire and tag team out.

The final tail was meant to be a Dyno run and finally a quarter Mile time, however due to the above condition I have decided to end her journey on a high.

I've placed her for sale here on AU Starlet Club, and am hoping that she will find a good home there - either as a project or a donation car for parts.

Maybe I'll find some excuse to track the next car....I don't think the track day bug has been completed deplenished yet :twisted:

THanks Manny Manny, hope you enjoyed reading the blog. It was bush mechanic heaven LOL. I just got an Echo Sportivo. So no real change from Toyotas. Will try to not mod...

• 1 month later...

Thanks mate, hopefully my little brother will continue on with the track attacking.

In true Fast and Furial style, he has been 'dreaming' of owning a Supra. However, he first wants to experience a 'cheaper ' RWD, such as a S13 Silvia. This is great because we have experience in FF (The Goose and GGIII) and AWD (WRX GGII). I guess it is his turn to continue our 'track day education' :D

What is great about the Echo is that it is also 4 x100...so when/if the track attack bug bites again, I can put on some semi slicks and a nice spin. Twisted Evil

The Starlet is still in my front yard unfortunately. It is currently on Ebay at the moment and it appears that there are heaps of tire kickers out there, which is a shame. The 'For sale' advertisement ends in 1 day, hopefully there will be something 'acceptable' that comes out of the 21 watchers on Ebay.

• 1 month later...