E10

07 Yaris YRX

There is an increasing popularity in Ethanol blended fuel in our petrol stations. Well, at least in Sydney metro it is.

I've got a 07 Yaris YRX. I haven't tried putting E10 in my tank yet. Not until I've researched more about it and see if there are any negative effects on our cars, especially the Yaris.

I fuelled up with Synergy 2000 yesterday and I realised the E10 was 2 cents per litre cheaper. This might make buggerall difference to the petrol bill at the end of the day, but every dollar adds up. Afterall, people spend $30 on shopping to save about $2 on fuel with a shopping docket.

I've been reading a little bit about Ethanol blended petrol, but I couldn't come up with a clear conclusion of whether it's cheaper to use in the long run.

If you've used, or are using E10, I'd like to hear your opinion on this particular type of fuel.

I put an ethanol blend into my Echo and found that it did not burn well.

Poor mileage, even worse throttle response, but still, I'm willing to try again.

Signing off from Lake Grace, middle of nowhere, WA.

^hmm.... that's the opposite to me. I did a full tank on my echo, and according to my scangaugeII, it uses less (just last week, filled up E10, done 80km so far). I forgot exactly but I got more than filling up normal unleaded from shell.

would the Scanguage II work on an 05 camry? I've read that the (american made) scanguage may not work on aussie cars.

^hmm.... that's the opposite to me. I did a full tank on my echo, and according to my scangaugeII, it uses less (just last week, filled up E10, done 80km so far). I forgot exactly but I got more than filling up normal unleaded from shell.

would the Scanguage II work on an 05 camry? I've read that the (american made) scanguage may not work on aussie cars.

**should** work anything after built on or after 2003, works on my 03 Echo (for Aust, in the US they have it on cars since 97/98).

**should** work anything after built on or after 2003, works on my 03 Echo (for Aust, in the US they have it on cars since 97/98).

I've always wanted one...where can i get it in Aust? How can we DIY the thing (I have an 03 Echo as well but sedan)

I have filled my first tanful with E10 last week

I could not tell the difference in power although I'm normally an acute judge of these things.

wrt the fuel consumption, I will post normal unleaded (Woolies), E10 (BP) and unleaded (Shell) figures in a couple of weeks time.

Cheers

Wollies unleaded - 530.2 kms - 39.41 ltr - 13.45 kmpl - 7.43 ltr / 100 km

BP E10 - 498.8 kms - 39.05 ltr - 12.77 kmpl - 7.83 ltr / 100 km

Shell Unleaded - 535.1 kms - 42.15 ltr - 12.69 kmpl - 7.88 ltr / 100 km

Yes the consumption increased slightly but note that I had not checked tyre pressure for months and all 4 were low and uneven.

Have put 34 psi all around and filled up with Shell unleaded this morning. Will report back on this when I fill the next tankful

Driving conditions and routes have not changed much. No other driver other than me. Mostly 1 person in the car, occassionaly 2. Liberal use of air con as well.

Edit: With the latest consumption figures using Shell Unleaded. As can be seen, slightly worse economy than Ethanol. Interestingly, I filled up with 42.15 lts but I thought the fuel capacity of the tank was only 42 ltrs?

Edited by Binxx