question about pod filter/short air intake kits

Pda

hi all, just like a few questions answered about my lil paseo

i got a 92 paseo with a short ram intake kit

just wondering are these legal? also i've heard that the pod filter needs to be covered with some shield. i've been searching around and found stainless steel ones and also i think plastic ones.

which ones better? imo plastic is abit better as its doesnt heat up as much compared to stainless steel though i could be wrong

could anyone give me info on this topic?

thanks

They aren't legal until you take your car to the pits and you get a bit of paper saying the modification is legal. In terms of heat shielding I wouldn't bother, in my Paseo the SRI got pretty damn hot all the time, so I wouldn't see the point in shielding the filter (as the steal piping is hot anyways). don't worry about it being legal or not, chances are if a cop has pulled you over and asked you to lift your bonnet your in trouble anyway.

If you wan't more cold air go for a Cold Air Intake (CAI) but to be honest I'd be happy to just enjoy the Paseo's ability to thrashed about - its fun little car to drive!

Edited by Seano

thanks for the info seano

yeah about the heat shield would seem pointless, since its gonna eventually heat up soon, and i imagine most people who have a SRI in the paseo the pod would be near the black cap where the sparkplug wires come out of (distributor cap?) and pretty tight near the battery.

hope i dont get pulled over by a cop lols, only thing thats supporting the SRI is this metal bracket

but yeah it is a damn fun car to trash around and drive

thanks heaps seano

oh yeah forgot to ask something, if the car makes creaking sounds when passengers get in and out of the car

would that suggest the springs are worn out? i recently had the shock absorbers replaced with the kyb set, was going to get some springs but couldnt afford them at the time.

any thoughts guys?

oh yeah forgot to ask something, if the car makes creaking sounds when passengers get in and out of the car

would that suggest the springs are worn out? i recently had the shock absorbers replaced with the kyb set, was going to get some springs but couldnt afford them at the time.

any thoughts guys?

Is the hand break on, have no idea why but my car use to do the same thing but only when the hand break was on - although my car was lowered so it was probably the rear bushing for the sway bar/torsion beam complaining.

if i remember it does it for hand brake on, and off. which is strange, maybe i should of asked the guy who did my wheel alignment to check the rear ones too lols. oh well all good, what happened to ur paseo?

oh and one more think xD, with your paseo you had, did you install a short shift kit? if you did which one?

i've found a few 2 on ebay, 1 from xracing and 1 from twmpeformance in america. im more interested in the american one but after emailing them, they say it might fit the australian paseo.

Edited by Pda

if i remember it does it for hand brake on, and off. which is strange, maybe i should of asked the guy who did my wheel alignment to check the rear ones too lols. oh well all good, what happened to ur paseo?

oh and one more think xD, with your paseo you had, did you install a short shift kit? if you did which one?

i've found a few 2 on ebay, 1 from xracing and 1 from twmpeformance in america. im more interested in the american one but after emailing them, they say it might fit the australian paseo.

I traded it in for a Sportivo! Lol i was going to do a turbo conversion but for the same price I could get the Sportivo was an easy descion in the end. Although I do miss the Paseo some times, was awesome fun would buy one again.

With the Short shifter the only ones I could find were the cheapo ones that changed the stick length. So the throw would be shorter; but because your losing leverage it'd be harder to change gears (hope that makes sense). If you get one, get a heavier gear knob to go with it cause that will help, although ideally you'd want to try and find a good one that comes with the full craddle. Go with the Xracing one purely because they are Aus based and the guy who owns Xracing started out with a Paseo.

Also if your in the market for bang for your buck mods, you can't go past the Strut bar from Xracing, easy mod and helps a bit with the understeer - plus they look cool

Edited by Seano

yeah im just thinking about the shifter dont know if i really really need it

though am interested in the front strut bar, saw one on ebay for around $80 you reckon they're any good.

also theres no point in really getting a rear strut bar is there? since the rear has that beam

yeah im just thinking about the shifter dont know if i really really need it

though am interested in the front strut bar, saw one on ebay for around $80 you reckon they're any good.

also theres no point in really getting a rear strut bar is there? since the rear has that beam

Considering the car is so light probably not, a rear sway bar/anti-roll bay however is another story. With a rear sway bar you should be able to elimnate some of that body roll, although if your not spending heaps just go with the front strut bar. I'd say your next suspension mod after front strut would be springs and/or shocks or coil overs followed by a rear swaybar.

thanks for that seano

ive already got new shocks installed, gonna have the mech check the rear suspension see whats making that noise

looking for some new wheels n tyres at the moment should be getting in a month or so around 17" rims with 205/40/17 tyres

after that i'll have a look and see whether to lower or not with the new springs

just curious, about this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-Starlet-Pase...1QQcmdZViewItem

now i know to access the rear suspension of the paseo requires the rear seats to be removed, if this were to go in does that mean i lose the rear seats?

Nah doesn't look like it mate, should be sweet just check with the seller first.

Also I think I was running 205/45/16 on my paseo, not sure if 17s would fit on the Pas that comfortably.

Here is a pic of My rims to give you an idea of what 16s look like

image154wb2.jpg

image152cy7.jpg

nice paseo and house too, i've heard and seen people putting on 17's n fitting well without anywork i think

but the dilemma is 17" would be considered as defective since stock is 14", 16" seems to be a nice n fit. so dont knwo where to go 16 or 17 lols

nice paseo and house too, i've heard and seen people putting on 17's n fitting well without anywork i think

but the dilemma is 17" would be considered as defective since stock is 14", 16" seems to be a nice n fit. so dont knwo where to go 16 or 17 lols

Thanks and yea with the rims just go with what you like best, if 17s look better go with them otherwise go 16s. Just remeber the rubber for 17s is going to be quite expensive as you will need a lacky band level of thinness

• 3 months later...

hey, i put 16" on mine in the end

for 17" the low profile tyres were costly and also since i have to drive on a rough gravel road ( which the seo love :S )

i chose 16"s for more comfort and affordability

they look nice

mines same colour as seano's

hey hehe

i put some 17's on mine

the sales person at the tyre store said

"17" tyres are more common, 9/10 we have them in stock, 16" arent so common so they have to be ordered in"

i didnt buy the rims+tyre off them though

but it seemed abit logical to me, i see more cars with 17" rims then 16"

must say the ride comfort has gone abit but oh well

they still look nice on my car hehe i'm happy with them

though i'm pretty sure i have to lower my car an 1" lol

i thnk u guys would agree on that xD

post-6919-1216116737_thumb.jpg

Check with your local laws about this, but I'm fairly sure you are wrong. For example, in QLD you can go any rim diameter, providing your overall rolling diameter doesn't change from +15 or -20mm.

• 2 weeks later...
hey hehe

i put some 17's on mine

the sales person at the tyre store said

"17" tyres are more common, 9/10 we have them in stock, 16" arent so common so they have to be ordered in"

i didnt buy the rims+tyre off them though

but it seemed abit logical to me, i see more cars with 17" rims then 16"

must say the ride comfort has gone abit but oh well

they still look nice on my car hehe i'm happy with them

though i'm pretty sure i have to lower my car an 1" lol

i thnk u guys would agree on that xD

Hey Pda ,

how much did the replacement shocks set you back ??

I'm thinking about changing mine - with 258k 's on the clock the car feels a bit rough ..

cheers ..

• 2 weeks later...