manuel for gen5

black turkey

hi guys, i have recently lost my manual/guide for the st184 celica, if anyone can help me out, what does it say the top speed in 2nd and 3rd gears are? if i can remember correctly is it 99 and 135? if anyone can tell me it would be great, also would what the book say be accurate or would that be the fastest speed before redline?

hi guys, i have recently lost my manual/guide for the st184 celica, if anyone can help me out, what does it say the top speed in 2nd and 3rd gears are? if i can remember correctly is it 99 and 135? if anyone can tell me it would be great, also would what the book say be accurate or would that be the fastest speed before redline?

which manual? the one that came with the car or a third party book? i have the "Haynes" brand manual which is based on a full tear down.

I don't believe I've seen such stats on gears, except for their recommend range e.g 1st gear up to 20kms ~ 5th Gear anything over 70kms etc. Because obviously the car will keep pulling as long as theres space in the RPM range.

You could use a bit of math:

The ST184 (actual factory stats) achieves its;

peak pulling power (torque) of 194Nm (Newton Meters) @ 4400RPM and

max drive power (Kilo Watts) of 99KW @ 5400RPM.

====================

Now taking the average of both factors gives you a balanced peak of both Torque and KiloWatts @ 4900RPM [lets call it 5000RPM] (this just a guide) (4400 + 5400) / 2 = 4900RPM

*You if you have a GPS handy in will come in handy as most ST184 speedos are out by upto 9%, when i had a ST184 in order to truly travel at 100kmph i had to have the needle at 109KM/H on the dial.*

Now lets assume that your going to assume 5000RPM is your safe max (I would suggest it)

Go into 1st gear drive up 2000RPM - Hold and maintain this amount of engine power as accurately as possible, then record your speed.

Do this in all gears!

Once your done. Take the values of each gear and begin multiplying by the remaining safe working RPM range.

=====================

Example.

Let assume that at 2000RPM in 2nd gear your traveling at 45kmph (just an example)

Devide 45 by 2:- 45 / 2 = 22.50kmph @ 1000RPM

Now we know that per 1000RPM we have the value of 22.50kmph, if our safe working load is 5000RPM we simply multiply:

22.50kmph x 5 (5000RPM) = 112.50KMPH

(which would be insane but please remember its an example)

This method applies to motors as long there's power still being generated hence the average.

I hope somehow that helps, failing that - I tried <_<, also note that I'm not a mechanic! I just like my Celicas :)

The example above is my alternative to suggesting you find a piece of road and keep accelerating until you find your peaks.

(If in doubt consult those that are in the industry full time)

I've got a copy of the factory manual in the car, but I'll have to fish it out tomorrow. From memory, the top speed in 2nd is around 82, 3rd is about 130ish. These are to the redline.

The calculation is interesting but not correct. I will use the same example but making the substitution of 5th gear for 2nd gear and 80km/h for 45km/h (i know for a fact that 5th goes about 2000rpm at 80km/h):

Let assume that at 2000RPM in 5nd gear your traveling at 80kmph

Devide 80 by 5:- 80 / 5 = 16kmph @ 1000RPM

Now we know that per 1000RPM we have the value of 16kmph, if our safe working load is 5000RPM we simply multiply:

16kmph x 5 (5000RPM) = 80KMPH

However, this would mean that the safe operating range in 5th gear is less than that in 2nd gear, which is not the case. Thus, the correlation between speed and RPM is not as simple as suggested. In order to gauge velocity with respect to the drive speed, there's more that needs to be taken account of; namely, the gear ratio, differential ratio and the wheel+tyre circumference.

In any case, I'll get the numbers tomorrow afternoon :P

However, this would mean that the safe operating range in 5th gear is less than that in 2nd gear, which is not the case. Thus, the correlation between speed and RPM is not as simple as suggested. In order to gauge velocity with respect to the drive speed, there's more that needs to be taken account of; namely, the gear ratio, differential ratio and the wheel+tyre circumference.

In any case, I'll get the numbers tomorrow afternoon :P

absolutely, but the ratio of which ever gear would apply to the entire rev range, dunno, thats why i'm suggesting do a check for very gear..

I KNOW, engine sounds loud = change gear :D ;P... that too is a good guide lol

the Manual will rule all :g:

Here ya go black turkey:

Optimal shift speeds (5sfe) (compromise between performance and fuel consumption):

UPSHIFTING

Gear.....km/h (mph)

1 to 2.......24 (15)

2 to 3.......40 (25)

3 to 4.......65 (40)

4 to 5.......72 (45)

DOWNSHIFTING

Gear.....km/h (mph)

2 to 1.......20 (12)

3 to 2.......33 (21)

4 to 3.......40 (25)

5 to 4.......50 (31)

Maximum allowable speeds (5sfe):

Gear.....km/h (mph)

1............55 (34)

2............89 (55)

3............138 (86)

4............177 (110)

(I don't know why the manual doesn't discuss 5th?)

Edited by Keisari

thanks Keisari, is it just me or are the "optimal shift speeds" alot lower than what i shift at. 2 to 3 at 40 and 3 to 4 especially. i take 3rd to the posted speed limit. anyway thank you very much for that

about the top speed in 5th, i think they dont tell you because i dont think the car has enough power to push it through 5th, it seems to stop accelerating between 195 and 200.