What size wheels with a Sportivo?

GGG

Howdy All

Although I have checked out the posts in the past week, this is my numero uno post...

First impressions of the Rolla stivo = great little car which couldnt have been even better if Toyota pulled their finger out. My mates Clio sport is evident of that but its the sixe of an echo and when my feet are on the pedals, my knee is jammed against the steering wheel...ahh well. My gearbox hasnt been the smoothest while entering 'lift' and I had originally thought that to do be my'getting used to the car' feel...it appears it may not be after all.... That aside, I was looking into upgrading the rims on my little silver surfer, I have noticed that 17's seem popular but with dropping prices of 18's, I was looking at some Apec Septik's in 18 inch with a 215/40 tyre. Any idea peoples why 17 seems to be the way to go?

Looks like there is plenty room for 18's..perhaps its cost? or maybe the reduced straight line performence?

Your experiences/opinions are most appreciated!

post-414-1102118926_thumb.jpg

Performance wise on the track, maybe, but on the street i can't feel the difference. And if u r using the right offset and the right width, that is 18x7 carrying 215/40/18, i don't think u will have problem regarding the turning circle. Mine have no problem at all. I'm using 215/35/18, but it's a bit bumpy. So next time i will try the size mention above.

18' will fit and have been put on a few rollas, however performance will decrease and you may not have a full turning circle as the wheels could rub the gaurds.

Cheers for that. Will check whether 18 x 7 and (not x 7.5), the tyres with the set are 215/40/18. Could I ask how much you lowered the car after that? 3 cm?

Insurance company..I'm in Perth..insurance is real cheap I pay $470 p.a., much better than what I used to pay when was a lot younger and had my rex (back in the days when a 8 year old couldnt spot one purely by the exhaust note over 1 km away...)

From Perth are ya? Same as me.

Go visit paul in Tyre Power Pro, he doesnt sell the wheels but he can get hold of them for you and hopefully do a very decent price. If you want the address PM me for it. HE got me 17' chrome wheels for $1300 WITH toyo tyres, tell him SMD's son sent you. :D

Also with bigger rims as tyre profiles shrink if you run over a big enough pot hole the wheels can bend. I had that happen with some 17inch Chromies with 215/45 tyres and they cost heaps to fix. Not worth it unless you have smoooooth roads in WA.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Also with bigger rims as tyre profiles shrink if you run over a big enough pot hole the wheels can bend.  I had that happen with some 17inch Chromies with 215/45 tyres and they cost heaps to fix.  Not worth it unless you have smoooooth roads in WA.

like everything there are risks, y drink water if there is a chance to choke to death :P

but yeah, i wouldn't go 18s unless it was purely for looks. i reckon 16x7 would be the best for the track

Unfortunately those rims arent available in shadow 17's only 18's. There is a gold 17" set for $1,000 with tyres, but aint keen on gold rims with a light silver car.

More interested in looks I guess, bought the car so I could save for my impending wedding and then upgrade to something sweeter in a couple of years.

17's appear to be the way to go....decisions..decisions..any idea what original 16's are going for 2nd hand?

Unfortunately those rims arent available in shadow 17's only 18's. There is a gold 17" set for $1,000 with tyres, but aint keen on gold rims with a light silver car.

More interested in looks I guess, bought the car so I could save for my impending wedding and then upgrade to something sweeter in a couple of years.

17's appear to be the way to go....decisions..decisions..any idea what original 16's are going for 2nd hand?

have a look around the buy and sell section. but typically 700-1000.

and if u're going 17s don't get 215/45r17. they will scrub whatever the offset.

stick with 205/45, 215/40 or 205/40

I have 17" Lenso's with superlow king springs and as of after 3 months I've noticed The inside LIP on the rear where i have had a few fatties in the back seat and come across one of sydney's finest bumps/pot holes...... the inside lip is now lower then then the outside guard therefore im going to get them rolled.. for future refrence, its worth doing when fitting new wheels, more then likely need straight up with 18" + .. will get it done soon before it gets any worse

i called up RAVC for a quote on a levin rolla (im currently insured with them). they said that they will not insure any rolla with a width exceeding 6.5". hrmmm but arent most 17" 7"+ ??

damn, guess i wont be rollin on nice cromes when i get my rolla :( :(

hrmm what insurance are u guys with ?

ohh, is there a way to get around this ? could i get an engineer's certificate ? i did ment to them about an engineer's certificate but i doubt the employees know much coz 1 biatch said i can only roll on 6" max :blink: .

I have 17" Lenso's with superlow king springs and as of after 3 months I've noticed The inside LIP on the rear where i have had a few fatties in the back seat and come across one of sydney's finest bumps/pot holes...... the inside lip is now lower then then the outside guard therefore im going to get them rolled.. for future refrence, its worth doing when fitting new wheels, more then likely need straight up with 18" + .. will get it done soon before it gets any worse

if u get your offset right it really shouldn't happen :huh:

RACV dont alloy much.. im with AAMI who says (cheaper then RACV), u can have any size u want if the tyre place will fit them to your cra,

lol yeh, but AAMI doesnt respond well to basic performance mods, like CAI and exhaust system. before i got my p's i called up AAMI for insurance on my car. i told them everything that the car has, but they said to me that i should go through Justcars to get insurance.

ummm so tell me. if i were to insure my car with AAMI would i be able to fit a simple sports exhaust and nice 17" *7.5" alloys ?(im under 25 btw)

i know i said they wouldnt allow me, but i wanna know from someone who is actually insured with them.

I'm with AAMI and they allow me to have up to 3 mods. No issues about wheel sizes or intakes or exhaust as far as I know.

I'm travelling on 215/40/17 and though it's definitely harsher than the stockies but definitely sticks to the ground better and er....looks better as well. :lol::lol:

18s will definitely look good on the Stivo, but I say from the performance and insurance side of things, go with 17s. They are cheaper as well, especially when it comes to replacing your tyres.