Buying a first Corolla

Hi guys and girls,

I just sold my R33 Skyline and now want to buy a newish Corolla. I like the 2005-2006 models without that steel mesh that earlier models have at the front.

It has to be a hatch (they look nice) with no more than 50,000 KMs, silver or white, auto, must have ABS brakes, air con and CD player.

Any advice on how to go about getting one? I know some dont even have ABS brakes or air con... are they mostly Ascents?

I checked the prices and I need to shell out around 15-18 K. So got some time to save up as I need to buy a property soon too.

Cheers.

Hi guys and girls,

I just sold my R33 Skyline and now want to buy a newish Corolla. I like the 2005-2006 models without that steel mesh that earlier models have at the front.

It has to be a hatch (they look nice) with no more than 50,000 KMs, silver or white, auto, must have ABS brakes, air con and CD player.

Any advice on how to go about getting one? I know some dont even have ABS brakes or air con... are they mostly Ascents?

I checked the prices and I need to shell out around 15-18 K. So got some time to save up as I need to buy a property soon too.

Cheers.

if you want comfort, abit of guts and a nice looking car, just go for a 03-05 model corolla sportivo u can get them for around 17-22 - thats my opinion coming from an r33 :P

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/TOYOT...mp;sort_type=10

What about power wise? Apart from Sportivos, are all corollas the same? I want a 2006 model hatch, conquest with auto. Do they all have the same KWs or are there sportier versions (with auto)?

• 2 weeks later...

Sportivos have a different engine. You'll notice that it will have VVTi-L as opposed to VVT-i. Basically the sportivos have the Celica engine I think. 'L' stands for lift, which is a technology in Honda's language called VTEC. Once you reach a certain rev, the engine will automatically enable the high profile CAMS which boosts the power output.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTEC

Basically:

Ascent (all variation), Conquest, Levin - same normal engine (I think 98 KW - reduced to comply with emission regulations) - full time variable valve timing NO Lift

Sportivo - Celica Engine - full time Variable valve timing with part-time Lift

The 2007 Corollas are quite nice. I own one myself (Levin ZR 6sp) and they are much better to drive compared to the earlier models. Arguably the better looking as well. Price wise, it is probably better to invest a little bit more for the 07 corollas. Test drive em, see how you go.

Manny

Edited by Emmanuel