Gear stick jumping in forth gear

SeiferST162

Hi guys just wondering if anyone could give me a clue as to what is going on with my gear box. i drive a St162 '86 and when i shift in to 4th gear everything is fine untill i take my foot of the gas even just a little< then my gear stick starts jumping up towards 3rd and when i put my foot back down it jumps back towards 4th. It also makes the car ***** around when it does this. And drives me freaking nuts. It has never jumped out of gear though. even after all of its jumping around it still seems to stay in 4th. Any help would be great thanks guys. :help:

Its just had a new engine put in with new mounts. could it be my clutch or gear box? i know they put a new clutch and plate in when they put my engine back though <_<

could it be the slider drum? the rubber could be worn or weakened or something.

or (i really doubt its this, but worth mentioning) i suppose it isnt bein put into gear all the way, the syncros could be slighlty worn, try pushing the gear stick extra far into fourth until it wont move anymore and give it a shot.

just did a quick google search:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Mazda-Repair-82...gear-manual.htm

looks to be a synchro problem.

Thanks heaps mate. That does sound very much like what is happening with mine. :blink: Sounds like i'll be saving a bit to get it sorted out though... damn there goes those new shocks for now

• 4 weeks later...
just did a quick google search:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Mazda-Repair-82...gear-manual.htm

looks to be a synchro problem.

Thanks heaps mate. That does sound very much like what is happening with mine. :blink: Sounds like i'll be saving a bit to get it sorted out though... damn there goes those new shocks for now

i have a 6th gen celica and i take it on the m4 daily, i have the same problem when i engage 5th gear... as soon as i release the gas it just wants to pop out