Lowering the celica

Hi All,

I want to lower my celica as the current suspension setup is needing replacement. I would go with coilovers, but i dont want to spend 2K or more as I am not sure how much longer I will have the car.

So I am going to go a new set of springs, and shocks.

My question is, what brand of spring would you guys recommend. (I am leaning towards TEIN, as i have heard bad things about king springs)

I have no idea what to go with for shocks.

So if anyone could give me some ideas that would be much appreciated

The car is a ST184R 1991 Celica SX

Ha Ha I wont have to pay for labor... so that brings it down considerably.

I would definately go for coil overs if i knew i was going to have car for ages. but im not sure at the moment, and since i would have to do the suspension to sell the car, i figure i may as well lower it a bit.

KYB struts - standard replacement of OEM

KONI'S - adjustable struts

Whiteline Control springs.

Get in touch with me Mick if you need any help sourcing stuff. Happy to help:)

I have been told KYB are pretty decent, and according to their website i can get their 'excel-g' shocks/struts. are these any good? will the handle being lowered?

and if you can get me tein springs, or know something better? for a decent price i would have your babies. LOL

Edited by mick.wheelz

I have been told KYB are pretty decent, and according to their website i can get their 'excel-g' shocks/struts. are these any good? will the handle being lowered?

and if you can get me tein springs, or know something better? for a decent price i would have your babies. LOL

To be honest Tein springs are as good as most of the brands on the market. you pay more for the name and the fancy box and green paint.

Never ever had a problem with Kings for the last 20 odd years. Whiteline springs are good as well. depends on how much you really want to spend. The Average Tein springs i find to be a bit soft for Australian road conditions.

I was quoted around 350 for king springs from supercheap, so somewhere around that for springs.

If the teins were around the same price, i would go for them (mostly because i am a brand whore haha)

As for soft, i am used to soft, you cant get much softer than what i have now withour replacing the springs with sponges

How much are the shocks usualy worth?

Edited by mick.wheelz