Lifting Hilux

~Dj Dirty

Gday,

I have a 1990 Model Toyota Hilux.... I recently bought 3" lifting blocks for it. Just would like to know of anyone that has done it before, and might be able to point me in the right direction of the best way to fit it...

Thanks

Edited by Dj_Dirty

find your closest ARB 4wd shop and ask them....they do that sorta thing all the time.....but why lift the body??...for more ground clearance??....if thats what your trying to achieve then save your bucks and go for taller tyres......ground clearance is measured from the ground to the diff pumpkin....lifting the body wont do bugger all

cheers

find your closest ARB 4wd shop and ask them....they do that sorta thing all the time.....but why lift the body??...for more ground clearance??....if thats what your trying to achieve then save your bucks and go for taller tyres......ground clearance is measured from the ground to the diff pumpkin....lifting the body wont do bugger all

cheers

Mate, ive already bought the lift blocks... I just wanna know if anyone here has done it before and if their is anything i should know.

I wanna put 33's under it which is why im doing the body lift!

cheers

Mate, ive already bought the lift blocks... I just wanna know if anyone here has done it before and if their is anything i should know.

He owns a Townace Dj. He knows his stuff.

cheers

He owns a Townace Dj. He knows his stuff.

Haha!! Yer!!!! How is is ya Town Ace? ;-)

done heaps mate but mainly 2 inch ones but also got a 6'' lift in a 90 model single cab and a 10 inch in a 93 dual cab but firstly to townace u do a body lift to clear bigger tyres like 35's and even 33's also if u look at a lux the sills sit close to level with the bottom of the chassis rails it gets them up so u can fit rocksliders etc without them getting to caught up and u also do it CAUSE U CAN OK

but dj all u gotta look out 4 is the wiring coming outa the back off the cab (single cab i take it according to ya profile pic) the the biggest is the radiator hoses length uselly u can get away with just loosining the clamps on them and giving them 10mm each end once i do that u gotta pull the lower section of the radiator shroud its only like 3 12mm head bolts u can modiy it and refit it or just leave it of thats what i do then the mud and crap falls out easier.

the next thing is the gear levers from memory u have more trouble with the 4wd lever but just get in there with a grinder or something and neatly cut it away then it may just need some silicon to seal it right.

and lastly is the steering column under the dash theres a uni joint like at the steering joint undo that bolt and it has heaps of adjustment not sure if it will cover a 3'' but try anyway but if that fails snake racing sell steering shaft extensions and they fit really good.

then u got the bullbar (if fitted to lift) i dont do it with a 2'' lift but i would do it with a 3'' thats prob the most involved thing to lift but not hard

if u are lifting the tray as well u just got things like the fuel filler mounting however the tray manufacturers have fitted it

cant think of much else with it they are prob the most simpilist body to lift just keep ya eyes open when doing it and look in every spot but i never had any other trouble with this mod

good luck yell out if u need any more info im kinda mad on luxes im fitted a 1uz-fe into the dualcab at the mo so know them like the back off my hand

done heaps mate but mainly 2 inch ones but also got a 6'' lift in a 90 model single cab and a 10 inch in a 93 dual cab but firstly to townace u do a body lift to clear bigger tyres like 35's and even 33's also if u look at a lux the sills sit close to level with the bottom of the chassis rails it gets them up so u can fit rocksliders etc without them getting to caught up and u also do it CAUSE U CAN OK

but dj all u gotta look out 4 is the wiring coming outa the back off the cab (single cab i take it according to ya profile pic) the the biggest is the radiator hoses length uselly u can get away with just loosining the clamps on them and giving them 10mm each end once i do that u gotta pull the lower section of the radiator shroud its only like 3 12mm head bolts u can modiy it and refit it or just leave it of thats what i do then the mud and crap falls out easier.

the next thing is the gear levers from memory u have more trouble with the 4wd lever but just get in there with a grinder or something and neatly cut it away then it may just need some silicon to seal it right.

and lastly is the steering column under the dash theres a uni joint like at the steering joint undo that bolt and it has heaps of adjustment not sure if it will cover a 3'' but try anyway but if that fails snake racing sell steering shaft extensions and they fit really good.

then u got the bullbar (if fitted to lift) i dont do it with a 2'' lift but i would do it with a 3'' thats prob the most involved thing to lift but not hard

if u are lifting the tray as well u just got things like the fuel filler mounting however the tray manufacturers have fitted it

cant think of much else with it they are prob the most simpilist body to lift just keep ya eyes open when doing it and look in every spot but i never had any other trouble with this mod

good luck yell out if u need any more info im kinda mad on luxes im fitted a 1uz-fe into the dualcab at the mo so know them like the back off my hand

Awesome help mate!! I am getting an air compressos this week to get those ***** body bolts undone Haha!! And itll be goin up!

its really simple hey the other thing i thought off was get some high tensile washes as well from the bolt joint cause mine didnt come with washers (yours might have) and the original hilux ones are pressed on on one end u can get them of by smashin them of in a vise.

good luck mate post some pics of it in the process will look good

post-6551-1211185951_thumb.jpg

post-6551-1211185970_thumb.jpg

post-6551-1211185982_thumb.jpg

ohh...big deal...i own a townace.

perhaps you should get to know a person before you judge them

I've already seen enough lol. You got owned by rollamods and MAP81 when you misjudged their s/c setup :lol:

Is it independant front end or leaf spring?? If you need more clearance for tyres on leaf spring buy longer shackles and get the greasable ones. If it is independant then personally i would go with slightly heavier torsion bars and adjust them up a bit then make sure you get the ball joint spacers to adjust everything as far as geometry goes. there are a few crowds who make complete trailing arms with modified ball joints for lift kits too.

to go bigger tyres than 10r's you will need a lift kit. I'm running 10r's atm and it is on the limit as far as room in the wheelarch is concerned. Mudflaps are close to the tyre plus with the suspension compressed down to the limit It just clears everything nicely.

i was going to put 33's on it but my wife drives it to work and with bigger tyres and lift it won't fit in the undercover car park which is a pain as the roof racks also have to come off after a trip away too.

Is it independant front end or leaf spring?? If you need more clearance for tyres on leaf spring buy longer shackles and get the greasable ones. If it is independant then personally i would go with slightly heavier torsion bars and adjust them up a bit then make sure you get the ball joint spacers to adjust everything as far as geometry goes. there are a few crowds who make complete trailing arms with modified ball joints for lift kits too.

to go bigger tyres than 10r's you will need a lift kit. I'm running 10r's atm and it is on the limit as far as room in the wheelarch is concerned. Mudflaps are close to the tyre plus with the suspension compressed down to the limit It just clears everything nicely.

i was going to put 33's on it but my wife drives it to work and with bigger tyres and lift it won't fit in the undercover car park which is a pain as the roof racks also have to come off after a trip away too.

Nah its not Independant suspension.... Im gonna put this cab and tray lift on it as soon as i get the compressor to get the bolts undone... ATM it is runing 31's on 15" Sunraysias... Im gonna put 33's on it if they fit with the body lift... After that i will look at doing suspension and shacke lifts.. What so they usually cost??

Thanks guys, you've been great help!

lift kits cost as much as want to allow my six inch one i did on the cheap thru repco i just removed load carrying leaves to let in flex more in the rear just gotta watch the grip factor turning the whole axle around (axle wrap) but u should be right with standard engine. my 10" thru snake racing cost me $6000 to my door and is a wheel machined and put together package but that kit is custom front crossmember and cross over steering using a ifs model steering box it also relocates the rear shocks on one side of the axle for improved smoothness of articulation.

the only way around stopping the tyres from rubbing on the front mudflaps is to get axle relocation plates from snake racing which repositon the axle forward 1" or 1.5" depending which way u put them i put mine the furtherest forward for when 35's are bolted to itas well as that u should get a dropped drag link as well for your steering it puts all steering adjustments back to standard position so u have a new range for spoke position adjustment ( relation of wheels to steering wheel) other than that u can get away with most things i would also reccommend puting in caster wedges as well to get the front axle rotated back to factory specs to stop wheel wobble etc

unless your willing to do things and modify things yourself i would recommend buying a lift kit to suit your needs from a place like snake racing etc

33's will fit easily with a 3'' body lift u generally only need a 2'' lift to get them in

I made my own extended shackles and modified my leaf packs, steering rods etc and brake line mounts depends how much u wanna get involved and how bigga jack u got to lift the sucker of the ground im always trying to get a higher lifting floorjack.

Edited by v8toy