My Saga So far

RogerP

I was driving around in a 1982 Commodore Vacationer Wagon (VC)

I could carry stuff, but I want to do Media Streaming, as opposed to other Vans, the Tarago is sound proofed, is 4cyl and good aerodynamics etc

The VC rego ran out on March 9 '08

The Tarago was on the market for $4,500.

I went and saw it on March 15, I took a mechanic that I new who said he was working at a local repair shop, I paid him $60.

He did what I thought was a thorough going over of the car, we took it for a drive and the mechanic said it would cost $1000 to get it on the road.

I made a low offer to the owner of $2,500 citing low money and repair costs, he offered the car to me for $2,300. which I took.

The deal was done at the mechanics house on 20th March 2008.

The previous owner had bought a clutch kit, timing chain, and brake pads and shoes, these were left in the car at the time of the sale as part of the deal.

The mechanic wanted money for parts, so I gave the $100 in my pocket.

The following weekend I gave the mechanic another $500, March 26

Of the said/ known repairs that needed to be done was to fix leaks in the rear axel on both sides, the bearing on the SAD shaft - even though as I said to him most of my research showed that it was the flexible couplings on the SAD that need repairing when noise is heard coming from that area. There were other oil leaks coming from the engine (head gasket was replaced in the end), oil lines to the front brakes, all filters, wiper blades ...

My Mother Died on the 29 March, so I flew back to NZ for 3 days spending my repair money plus more from a loan, before departing telling the mechanic not to start the registration cycle etc.

By April 19 the Car was still not finished, the mechanic citing that he had been off fixing other peoples cars and equipment.

He started telling me how the clutch that had been given to us was the wrong one there was a 10mm difference, more than likely off the 4WD version he said. getting his parts place to take it as an exchange on the correct part cost me a restocking fee of $56

I reminded the mechanic that a month had passed and the car was till not finished.

On April 21 he said all that needed to be done was get 2 new tyres, so I gave the mechanic $200 to buy 2 new 205/65 tyres for the 15" rims , I said spend $100 on name brands, but he spent $80 on each for Korean tyres.

Reluctantly I paid the mechanic $250 of $373 in settling the account (total will be $1,333. including 10hrs labour @ $35hr) thinking that the saga would be over and that I can get my car.

The plan was that today (Tuesday 28/04/08) we would get the car registered.

I went and bought my CTP insurance at 9.30am, we then drove the car from his place to the garage that I thought he worked at for the Roadworthy inspection, a booking hadn't actually been made, but the garage said it should be done in about 3 hours.

I got back early and the car had failed.

The rear drivers side gearbox mount was cracked - can get a screw driver into the gap

The flexi joint on the SAD shaft at the engine end was perished

The rear headrests

and the sway bar link rods need replacing

The thought that came to mind was that the gearbox mount and SAD were things that were meant to have been fixed and or OK.

The garage said that they might be able to get the headrests for $155

The mechanics quote on fixing this is

the gearbox mount will cost $120

The flexi joint $180

and about $30 ea for the rods

plus labour (guessing 2hrs = $70)

$580 for this repairs

or $1,913 total - only $913 over the original verbal quote

I'm now wondering if a garage could have done the work for less and I would have a warranty on those repairs

eg no engine mount or SAD shaft extra costs etc

One thing is known, I won't have the car registered this week, and the CTP insurance ticks on at about $20 a day

Get a quote from another mechanic. some of the things like new headrests you can do yourself. See if you can find the parts from a wrecker and either put them in yourself or get the mechanic to do it. The only thing that you might need a mechanic for is the gearbox mount as the car needs to be on a lift.

Good luck =)

Get a quote from another mechanic. some of the things like new headrests you can do yourself. See if you can find the parts from a wrecker and either put them in yourself or get the mechanic to do it. The only thing that you might need a mechanic for is the gearbox mount as the car needs to be on a lift.

Good luck =)

The Toyota Quote on Genuine replacement Headrests are $102 each

None of the Townsville wreckers have headrests, I got a quote via email this morning from autowreck.net.au (Sydney) for $100, not including freight.

I know how to use a shifter, so you think I can do the flexi-joint myself, the update part price for that is around $180.

Where they are getting it from I don't know

The Gear box mount is coming in at between $106 and $139 new, again unknown where from.

The Sway Bar Link Rods at $122 new

My mechanic says that the boots are cracked and that he might be able to just put new boots on, if he can avoid damaging the rods ball joint when taking them out.

My Mechanic is now telling me that the rack is loose and he thought we may have been pulled up on that too, he says he can do just the ends, not put in a refurbished unit, if that is an issue next time.

Labour costs from my mechanic on these repairs are be quoted at $50,

so it's now about sourcing the parts at decent prices