Improving Sound Quality on 2008 Corolla Ascent

I have got a new 2008 Corolla Ascent with standard sound system (with CD and audio input jack). Sound quality is bad on the speakers and I wonder whether this is to do with head unit or speakers. Checked with two shops and they gave different resaons or comobination of both.

Can someone give your thoughts on ways to improve the quality? Which one is better to be replaced.. HU or speakers or both.. Suggestions on the options / models appreciated as well.

If the HU then I will go for a HU with bluetooth and ipod compatibility. However choices are limited with double DIN.

The biggest difference you can make to sound quality is speakers.

If you change the speakers. then new cd player, amp etc will just make the new speakers sound even better.

Change speakers first, then see if ur happy with the sq.

By changing just the speakers won't help you either, as the Headunit itself was tuned for those speakers. Therefore using the logic behind the HU pumping the speakers even through an amp won't make ample of a difference.

The front splits are actually alright, it is the back papercone speakers + headunit that is giving you the sound problem.

when everything is done.. sound deadening 2 front door and floor and boot.. spend you $1k++

Is there a big weight increase though?

I wouldn't say big big, but it is considerable if your doing the whole car. A bulk pack weighs roughly 15kgs.

IMO, if you want to improve quality, you'd need to change your headunit and speakers to notice anything drastic.

Changing just your speakers (even to top of the range Rainbows) with your current headunit now won't make hardly a difference. Changing your headunit to one with more flexibility isn't going to do much either as your speakers are extremely limited.

Change both speakers and headunit to notice any big difference. Sound deadening is worth the investment too.

Aren't there many double-din units with Bluetooth & Ipod capabilities?

I picked up a JVC KVX800 - I think? - for $700 + RCA cables at JB Hi Fi.

It is bluetooth ready + I pod ready, however you will need further adapters :(

Touch screen DVD + Can play DIVX movies from any CD - Noice!

I put this in with stock speakers, and the difference is not massive, but it sounds a sh!t load better then with stock head unit.

deadening wont add TAT much weight compare to the dufduf subwoofer, 1+amp, and MOST OF ALL!!!!! the driver.. :yahoo: how much you weight? i think tat is more than the sound deadening will have... so... sound deadening it~

yea, decent HU, decent speaker, good amp.. after u spend those thousandssss of dollars(basic at $4k), then think of my deadening..

• 4 weeks later...

ive got an 05 sportivo and the sound system was pretty average. i changed the front splits to 6" denon with crossovers (fit them in the doors, not sure how you'd go with an 08 model though) i then ran a 4 channel amp and 12" sub in a sealed box.

i mounted the amp to the side of the box and put a bracket on the box and mounted it to the floor using the child restraint bolt/thread. i used 2 channels to run the splits, the deck to run the rear stock speakers and the other 2 channels to run th sub. all up the system weighs in less than 15kg as i didn't want to effect the performance.

the box is small and i can still split the 60/40 seat down (the 60% side). im very happy with the set up as i took some of the bass out of the front speakers as i didn't want them making funny noises without sound deadeing the doors. bass is good and the rear speakers are fine filling in the sound from the back. later installed a speaker to RCA converter as the one built into the amp wasn't sufficent enoght to get rid of the 'noise'.

there are pic's of my set up in the members ride section

There is no need to change the head unit for good sound quality. I have an '08 Leven ZR and other then the crummie sound quality it’s a very good head unit, 6 stacker with Bluetooth and steering wheel controls, it’s the same colour as the rest of the centre console and it won’t get nicked. To make it sound better you need a EQ processor, the best in the business are audiocontrol (http://mobileaudiocontrol.com). I’d recommend the “Three.1” unit (4 channel) or the “EQS” (6 channel), see links below. These gizmos (with a set of good new speakers of course) will sound fantastic, without having to change the HU.

Three.1

http://mobileaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?...2=&l1=17612

EQS

http://mobileaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?...2=&l1=17612

post-8029-1212853115_thumb.jpg

There is no need to change the head unit for good sound quality. I have an '08 Leven ZR and other then the crummie sound quality it’s a very good head unit, 6 stacker with Bluetooth and steering wheel controls, it’s the same colour as the rest of the centre console and it won’t get nicked. To make it sound better you need a EQ processor, the best in the business are audiocontrol (http://mobileaudiocontrol.com). I’d recommend the “Three.1” unit (4 channel) or the “EQS” (6 channel), see links below. These gizmos (with a set of good new speakers of course) will sound fantastic, without having to change the HU.

get a proper controller, like the rockford three.sixty~ that's called TUNING~

• 4 weeks later...

Stock head unit is actually quite good! I changed the speakers in mine to Infinity 6012i

front and rear 6.5 inch front and rear size,made a huge improvement in overall sound

quality (without spending heaps). Stock speakers are no good not just because they have paper

cones but also because the magnets (especially the rear pair) are very small. At the end of the day

what are you trying to achieve and how much do you want to spend.