Suspension set quote

levinboy

... hate seeing people spend money on totally unnecessary items.

Eg - Rice :ph34r: LoL

Although, I must say, I would do the same as Jimmy - if not racing, and wanted street use only, I would opt for the cheaper option if they both provided the same benefits...

Edited by Leroy

I have to admit, I'm buying the Zero 1's because they suit my application. I want to go lower than the standard koni / king springs combo, and do it properly.

I'm not buying Zero 2's because it's a waste of money. Even if you're going to the track 4 - 5 times a year and being semi-serious about it the Zero 1's are more than fine (MAP81 has done fine with his set, and he's had them for yonks now).

Superdave can back me up on the Zero 1's (he has Zero 2's because he IS hardcore with his track times).

^ That sounds like MOTM material.

Sounds like opinion to me.

Mate your right!!! Top of the class to you my young Friend. a lot of people use Coilovers for the right reason(track work etc etc or ride ghetto low) but simply put them in cause they think they are better than springs and shocks combo. Unfortunately cheap coilovers are exactly that.. cheap rubbish. for the same money you can get good quality shocks and springs. That is my point.

I got everything I wanted for consierably less than the quote for Koni's and Kings in this thread. Installed them myself, gained valuable experience being only a young fella, and I've played with the height and damping twice already. Can't help myself :toast:

Yes Tayles and you are from a Motorsport Family correct?? You guys DO compete regularly and installed them for the "right" reasons.

I have to admit, I'm buying the Zero 1's because they suit my application. I want to go lower than the standard koni / king springs combo, and do it properly.

Yes you are a ghetto rider and thus require adjustable ride height to carry all your alter ego's around with you(heard one of the is getting a lil on the tubby side... too many kebabs)

I'm not buying Zero 2's because it's a waste of money. Even if you're going to the track 4 - 5 times a year and being semi-serious about it the Zero 1's are more than fine (MAP81 has done fine with his set, and he's had them for yonks now).

Shame they didn't help MAP81 from avoiding the lake at Darlington Park :whistling:

Superdave can back me up on the Zero 1's (he has Zero 2's because he IS hardcore with his track times).

Superdave... what can we say? Hardcore? Well when he is on the track yes. But when he is on the street he is the red head soft spoken well mannered "superdave" all the girls want to take home to meet the parents. :toast:

Shame they didn't help MAP81 from avoiding the lake at Darlington Park :whistling:

:lol:

Superdave... what can we say? Hardcore? Well when he is on the track yes. But when he is on the street he is the red head soft spoken well mannered "superdave" all the girls want to take home to meet the parents.

:lol:

Red gets the bed :toast:

Not too bad a price. I sell koni's for $1030 and Kings for $225. Add $50 for alignment(RRP) and I usually charge about $230 to fit it all. total for me to do it is $1535 so what you are getting charged isn't too bad at all as you are prolly paying more to buy the stuff straight up.

silva..r those adjustable koni's?

Yes they are. Do you really need any other sort of adjustment on your suspension unless you are at the track all the time??? How many people on here with coilovers actually adjust their set up once they have it installed??? Personally i think a lot of people buy them just to say " I got coilovers" and never use the abilities that coilovers offer. Once they are installed and set then 90% of the time that is the setting that they remain in.

I can appreciate the features that coilovers possess but most people never ever use them. you can fine tune your set up when you install them which you can also do to a degree with adjustable koni's/springs but from what i see on this forum is people impulse buying just so they can have a set of coilovers. most have the wrong spring rates, dampers incorrectly set then it rides too harsh too soft and then peeps get on here saying my car does this or this and want others to fix it for them.

If you do not plan on going to the track and utilising coilovers to the best of their ability then just go with good adjustable struts and springs. You can achieve the same results with them as coilovers as far as set up goes cause you can adjust the dampers to suit ride quality. there is less to go wrong as you don't have to worry about pillow mounts flogging out, spring retainers moving or coming loose and changing ride height. Hell my sportivo set up on Kings and Koni's with some Whitline gear handled every bit as good as any car running on coilovers.

I am a fan of using the right equipment for the right job. coilovers are not meant for street use and are more motorsport oriented hence the tuning ability so it you aren't using your car for motorsport all the time then why get them unless you want the "brag" factor of telling everyone that you have coilovers.

don't mean to offend anyone but hate seeing people spend money on totally unnecessary items.

First i would like to say thanks for all the help from everyone, greatly appreciated.

Secondly, i agree with you 100% about the coilovers silva, after talking to friends and people with coilovers,

i feel that for the use i want i will be going for the first option i was presented with, as i see it, it is the best for what i will be using them for, I havent heard any bad reports on the Konis or Kings and most importantly i believe it is a good price for a set up like this.

Coilovers would be a nice thing to have but as you said most people get them for bragging points!!!

As i am a P-plater with not enough money (because my insurance is so high!!!) i will be buying the kit later this year, thanks again for everyones help, its good to know that TOCOA members are always willing to help one another.

Levinboy

Coilovers might also affect your insurance :(

They probaly would seeing that they are really touchy on modifications on P-plater cars lately.

Unfortunately thats the world we live in today, a few people mess things up for people who are doing the right thing

(most of the time!!!! :P)

Ohwell one more year on the greens after july then i am free!!!!

Hhhmmmm... just want to defend the Zero2's a little from all the coilover bashing :P

It all comes down to how active you want to play around with the settings. Having such a broad damper selection spectrum, its actually quite useful on the road as well, not just on track. Usually you can foresee the roads you'll be driving on (highway, city, mt) and make the appropriate adjustments, and it does make a difference. Not only that, you can also adjust it to your driving mood, ie after a long day at work, set it to soft; a sh!t day at work, set it to hard and rip up the corners :spiteful: . If I had the remote damper controller (EDFC?) I'd actively adjust it during the course of my daily commute which involves crappy suburban roads, highways, and long sweeping fast turns.

SO:

1. You will be able to enjoy most of the damper settings that 02 has to offer on normal roads

2. And yes some people will find a setting that is most suitable for everything and just leave it at that forever, but you will always get people like that who buy awesome products and not use them to their full potential which upsets the enthusiasts (like bren :P). So I challenge those people that just leaves it at the softest setting to play around with it a little and you'll be surprised. And if you really don't like the harder settings, then you have truly wasted your money.

Edited by DHC09

Hhhmmmm... just want to defend the Zero2's a little from all the coilover bashing :P

It all comes down to how active you want to play around with the settings. Having such a broad damper selection spectrum, its actually quite useful on the road as well, not just on track. Usually you can foresee the roads you'll be driving on (highway, city, mt) and make the appropriate adjustments, and it does make a difference. Not only that, you can also adjust it to your driving mood, ie after a long day at work, set it to soft; a sh!t day at work, set it to hard and rip up the corners :spiteful: . If I had the remote damper controller (EDFC?) I'd actively adjust it during the course of my daily commute which involves crappy suburban roads, highways, and long sweeping fast turns.

SO:

1. You will be able to enjoy most of the damper settings that 02 has to offer on normal roads

2. And yes some people will find a setting that is most suitable for everything and just leave it at that forever, but you will always get people like that who buy awesome products and not use them to their full potential which upsets the enthusiasts (like bren :P). So I challenge those people that just leaves it at the softest setting to play around with it a little and you'll be surprised. And if you really don't like the harder settings, then you have truly wasted your money.

Cheers AznDave. From the review I was given by Mark 'The Waterboy' Purcell, the Zero 1's were quote:

"The missus didn't like them, but in saying that, they weren't kidney killing either."

That pretty much says it all for me. If I can ask for a preset damper adjustment on the Zero 1's though I might grab them teeny bit stiffer. I like it stiff.

At the end of the day I'm happy, because I'll be buying an OEM Japanese made product. I went all 'oooo' and 'ahhhh' over the fact that they had a built in brake line adapter and sway bar end link section. Looks quality. Won't rattle like the DeePoo's do as well which is good >.>