HOWTO: Aurion Remote Purchase and Reprogramming

On 5/27/2008 at 10:44 PM, JBeagle said:

Hi Guys,

A while ago I lost a set of keys with my car remote attached and called up my Toyota Dealer to get a price for replacement remote. They told me that it was $300 for each remote and an additional $33 to program each remote. I told them not to worry about it lol.

I still needed a remote so I checked out eBay.com.au. I found a few listings and eventually purchased two remotes for $67 including shipping. They came the next day but obviously they didn't unlock my car so I had a look and found some reprogramming instructions. I had a go and it worked! All up, I had two remotes delivered and programmed to my car and all it cost was $67. Remember, Toyota would have charged me $666 ($300 remote x 2, plus $33 reprogramming fee x 2). I paid just over 10% of the price!

Note: When I posted this there were no remotes for sale on eBay, but if you check the completed listings you will see that they turn up every fortnight. Be patient. Search for "Aurion Remote". Also, the Aurion will only accept 4 remotes in total.

Reprogramming instructions:

1. Start with the key out of the ignition. Open the driver door (all other doors are closed). Driver door is unlocked (other doors don’t matter).

2. Perform these steps within 5 seconds

a. Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it) Pull key out

b. Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it) Pull key out

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds

a. Close, then open the drivers door.

b. Close, then open the drivers door.

c. Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it) and pull it out.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds

a. Close, then open the drivers door.

b. Close, then open the drivers door.

c. Insert the key into the ignition and leave in the ignition.

d. Close the drivers door

Turn the ignition to ON (as far as you can go without cranking the engine), then back to off .

e. Remove the key from the ignition.

5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically indicating successful entry into programming mode. Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds

a. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for 1.5 seconds

b. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should lock then unlock once indicating successful programming. If the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps 6a and 6b as the remote was not accepted.

7. Open drivers door

You're done!

* I've taken these reprogramming instructions from http://www.programyourremote.com and they were listed under the US 2006 Toyota Camry Solara. It took me a few goes to find instructions that worked for our Aurion.

5 minutes ago, Denis1 said:

I have a 2009 Aurion atx I purchased a new remote from amazon and I can't get past item 6 b as no matter how many times I repeat item 6 the system cycles 2 times any ideas Denis1

On 4/27/2023 at 2:37 PM, Denis1 said:

I think that means the cars memory is full and will need to be cleared which will remove all programmed remotes.

1. Drivers door open to begin with and the other doors closed
2. Inset key into ignition and remove it twice (dont turn)
3. Close and open the door twice
4. Insert key into ignition and remove it once (dont turn)
5. Close and open the door twice
6. Insert key into ignition (dont turn)
7. Close the door
8. Turn the key to the 'ON' position for 2 seconds then back off
9. Repeat step 8 another 4 times (5 times in total)
10. Remove the key and the door will lock and unlock 5 times

All remotes are now deleted and will need to be reprogrammed

Thanks Chris,  My main concern is that if I do step 8  by 5 times in total I will lose the one that I am currently using (the original). Is that correct?

I purchased the new one as a replacement and want to have it working along with the original and then keep the original as a spare as it works reasonably most of the time.

According to another set of instruction that say to rewrite the new one you do step 8 twice - I tried that and it still cycles twice.

What do you think?

Cheers Denis

You will lose your original yes but you will be able to reprogram it no problem. The keys will work fine just the remote will have to be redone. I've done it before and there was no issue getting them all working again. I was a bit cautious before I reset mine too because I didn't want to be stuck without one lol.

• 9 months later...

I had an experience today out of nowhere my key buttons stopped working. i got a new battery, nothing, took it back to mr minit, he comes out to the car, starts going through this process opening closing the door key in and out of the ignition i thought he was drunk, he got the thing working again and im like WTF, i asked him what he did, and he replied "i did the chicken dance" i laughed my ***** off so hard couldnt believe it

• Haha 1

Quite a few years ago, I got a spare ignition key cut then the locksmith came out to my Aurion and did the process to program the key.

I was totally confused with all of the steps that he did and no way that I can recall what he did. I am sure that he even opened and closed the boot a few times as well as the ignition.

Definitely a "chicken dance". Worthwhile to have a spare key otherwise you are in a world of financial pain.

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

Quite a few years ago, I got a spare ignition key cut then the locksmith came out to my Aurion and did the process to program the key.

I was totally confused with all of the steps that he did and no way that I can recall what he did. I am sure that he even opened and closed the boot a few times as well as the ignition.

Definitely a "chicken dance". Worthwhile to have a spare key otherwise you are in a world of financial pain.

The spare key wasn't working either he tested both keys they were emitting signal, so i dont know what exactly caused them to stop sending signal to the car?

Edited by Henstepper

10 hours ago, Henstepper said:

The spare key wasn't working either he tested both keys they were emitting signal, so i dont know what exactly caused them to stop sending signal to the car?

I am totally guessing that his "chicken dance" may have involved a reboot of the immobilizer system to re-establish communication between the keys and the vehicle system.

In the workshop manual, there is a section for this system. The receiver unit [for the door locks] is located somewhere around the rear of the vehicle on the driver passenger/boot area.