Premium or Regular Unleaded?

Blackkluger

Anyone can tell me how they have found using premium unleaded(95 or 98) as compared with regular unleaded? Was there a real benefit in lower fuel use?

Any feedback will be great, about to fill up my first full tank, wondering which way i should go.

Anyone can tell me how they have found using premium unleaded(95 or 98) as compared with regular unleaded? Was there a real benefit in lower fuel use?

Any feedback will be great, about to fill up my first full tank, wondering which way i should go.

My personal feeling, I have not run a controlled back to back test that would stand up to any proper scientific standard to say either way.

However, I only fill my Kluger with 98 BP Ultimate fuel, the reason I use to justify this is the static compression ratio is quite high at 10.8:1 and also the engine is tight on emissions so while I have nto stuck the AFR gear on it yet I can say that the car will not be using much fuel dumping to keep things cool and thus the ignition will be trimed to keep away detonation or pinging, this tends to have a decent effect on power and efficiency at high power (higher than what you use driving like miss daisy). My economy over that last 250km of my run in has been unbelievably good (11.3lt per 100km!) and that include 2 x 0-100km VBOX tests and quite hard full load acceleration from most get aways and any uphill sections to help engine stabilize. maybe the fuel quality and the extra ignition advance it will do through the Klugers knock sensors and ECU control does make this a justification worthy of the extra expense?

I just like knowing that my engine will take anything I can dish out on it and be 100% safe, these more advanced fuels also build up far less carbon in the engine too and are generally better for it overall long term if that suits your situation.

The car uses so little fuel (9.9lt normal driving) I am not going to skimp and ever fill it with ethanol blended rubbish or el cheapo 91 :D

My 0-100km time is 8.07 seconds V's the only other Aussie test (AWD Kluger KX-S but lighter than mine *no tow bar, extras etc*)using racelogic gear of 8.4 seconds... so not sure if that is down to the fuel?

UPDATE: http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...25&start=25

I have run 7.43 seconds 0-100kph time, and 15.65 seconds 400m time, with average hard driving economy or 11.5lt over 300+km distance and economy run (in hills 2 way average over same course) of 8.8lt per 100km

Edited by RICE RACING

I got Vpower yesterday, went for a about a 200k drive, avg 10.5L/100k! At one stage it dropped to 9.1 but this was in constant 80k zone, when it went up to 100 or 110, it increase but had about 15% stop start traffic. Not bad i thought with full aircon on.

It is very hard question that I am trying to solve.

The problem is the largest variation of your fuel consumption is due to the traffic and mainly your right foot applications, so it is very hard to test back to back.

I mean if you really love your car, you will run the best fuel like the BP Ultimate, that is what in my RX-8.

Higher octane ratio will give a better response and better power for sure. That is quite dramatic for a big car. Certainly the extra money give driving pleasure.

Now your question is a economical one. So lets see.

The difference between 91 and 95 is 6 cents/L and 98 is 10 cents/L. So it is about $3.60 to $6 from warning light to fully filled. Or in percentage it is 3.6% to 6% now since a tank in Melbourne just reached $100 for the first time!

For that 3.6% difference in fuel bill. It is hard to see why not having something nice.... I can tell you the fuel consumption margin between 98 and 95 is very marginal. I have tried a full tank of Shell V Power and BP Ultimate. Ultimate in one off trial will have a consumption as low as 14L around city, while V Power is getting 15L. Now I use Caltex Vortex 95 (not 98) and get around 14.5L for the last tank, with half the tank used on the weekend and 20% freeway.

Depends what is easy around your area. If the petrol station is 5km out then you are using $1 to get there.

Now that much nagging about money, you are guess I am a typical chinese now :P

^ Thats a great post.

There is one thing that needs to be remembered engines can loose power if they are fed with an octane rating that is too high (there is only so much ignition advance you can run). So I may try some 95 Octane fuel after I do my last test on 98 Octane (only to keep testing consistency).

I noticed in Toyota engines *especially supra's* they are very very efficient in what AFR they can run while boosted on pump fuel, can be run very lean so the more I think about it 98 Octane is probably overkill and is costing some power, probably 95 is the ideal compromise given the motor is designed for 91 Octane.

When my car came from the dealer it had less than half a tank of normal unleaded and the economy was great but I was driving it very easy too. Its very hard to do a proper test on this as there are so many variables to consider and test consistency is hard to achieve. I think 98 Oct is the best for safety (though costs ultimate power possibly) 95 Oct is probably best compromise (reach full power and give knock protection) and 91 will give delivered power easily but may be not enough Oct under arduous conditions (ignition retarded for safety under hard conditions).

Basically the lower the octane the easier and faster the fuel burns, and has the potential to make the most power (technically) so long as the cars engine is not limited on ignition advance due to detected knock through sensors.

It is a question of cost. If the fuel price wasnt so high in the first place, i'll pay the extra 10c/ Since at the moment most of the time the car, sorry, SUV will be around town doing the runaround, then it will probably be a waste. I think for long trips, i will probably use premium, as to 95 or 98, that is the question.

I got a coles source card so each month i get a bonus 4c off a litre, which is a total of 8c a litre off which pretty much covers the premium cost. Works out to be around $480* savings per yr if i do 40ks!

I was basically out of juice and I put in $20 of 95 BP fuel today, drove like a total c8nt and used 13.5lt per 100km and I mean I drove the ring out of the car today! to find what the absolute worst fuel economy could be short of me flying off the road. Thats pretty impressive I think.

Anyway my 0W-40 Mobil one turned up at 5pm so I quickly did an oil & filter change, I will get up early in morning and go do a 400m test with the VBOX on the same test section, the car has under a 1/4 of a tank of fuel + new oil so if it does not equal my previous 15.65 seconds then I can say it def has less power on this fuel !

You are certainly on something Ricy

I look forward to your report on the engine rebuild after you blow it up.

:lol:

I treat my cars with utmost respect and do not abuse them ! IF the Kluger could not take a hand full of acceleration runs then that would be a poor sign of the slipping standards of Toyota motor company.

Imagine how it would turn to putty under the stress of towing 2 tonnes up hill on a summers day trying to maintain 100kph??? far more stress laden than my simple tests of the vehicles performance a few times. On that note I tested 95 Octane BP fuel and you can read the results here (along with all details of it) http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...25&start=25

I will probably stick with 95 as a result, based of others feedback of economy improvement also.

Will do an interstate tuning trip + hauling some freight for customers in next 2 weeks so will report back consumption of the 1000km round trip (will run 95).

I was basically out of juice and I put in $20 of 95 BP fuel today, drove like a total c8nt and used 13.5lt per 100km and I mean I drove the ring out of the car today! to find what the absolute worst fuel economy could be short of me flying off the road. Thats pretty impressive I think.

Your fuel economy amazes me. I keep mine at around 12.5 - 13.5 but I drive like a NANNA! My boys (aged 3 and 6) keep telling me my old car went so fast and this one is soooo slow. I admit most of my trips are 5km - 10km in suburbia and for such a big car that is still good economy. That little screen has changed my driving style dramatically :whistling:

I am heading to Mornington on the weekend (90km round trip) so am interested to see what she will do then.

Keep enjoying your car.

Look forward to the next installment even if most of it does go straight over my head.

quote name='RICE RACING' date='Jun 16 2008, 08:38 PM' post='245935']

And this is not abuse????

its total ****

Yeah its really great, on a fuel reset I covered 40km today and my average for normal driving with a bit of enjoyment thrown in (another 7.20 second 0-100kph time) is 10.6lt... she is a little ripper of a car. :toast:

Yeah its really great, on a fuel reset I covered 40km today and my average for normal driving with a bit of enjoyment thrown in (another 7.20 second 0-100kph time) is 10.6lt... she is a little ripper of a car. :toast:

Remind me to never buy a car off you. ;P

You guys seems to be able to get pretty good numbers. We continuously hover around the 16 mark. The wife does almost exclusively city driving, but I would like to be doing a bit better than this. It seems to go well on highway runs, but it's sucking like a Bankok bar wh*re around town. We do live in a hilly suburb, and Hobart topograpghy is undulating in general, bit it's not that hilly. Sometimes I wonder whether she's driving it in S-mode and leaving it in third or something stupid like that, but when I'm with her she certainly isn't so I presume not. The only thing I notice is that sometimes she seems to be on and off the throttle a lot rather than holding it steady, which I tell her not to do. And then get the inevitable gob-full back...

I leavy in a hilly suburb, plus there's a ridiculous number of traffic lights around that are not in sync (I wonder: instead of all these "green car" initiatives that do nothing why whouldn't they spend maybe half of the money to optimize traffic lights timing in places like this? :spiteful: ). When the only thing I do is driving aorund - it is between 14-15.5. As soon as go go out of my area - it goes down to 12-13 even in a busy traffic.

You guys seems to be able to get pretty good numbers. We continuously hover around the 16 mark. The wife does almost exclusively city driving, but I would like to be doing a bit better than this. It seems to go well on highway runs, but it's sucking like a Bankok bar wh*re around town. We do live in a hilly suburb, and Hobart topograpghy is undulating in general, bit it's not that hilly. Sometimes I wonder whether she's driving it in S-mode and leaving it in third or something stupid like that, but when I'm with her she certainly isn't so I presume not. The only thing I notice is that sometimes she seems to be on and off the throttle a lot rather than holding it steady, which I tell her not to do. And then get the inevitable gob-full back...
Edited by Kruzenvax

The fuel economy you guys are getting is normal. If you are constantly having to accelerate all the time you are going to use a lot of fuel in any car.

I have checked the school run from my place, which is around a 6.5km round trip. The longest straight run I get is 800m, but that is also through another school zone, so its 40kmh, then 60kmh, then stop at the lights.

On this trip, I was getting approx 16l/100km in the AWD Grande and 13l/100km in the FWD KX-R.

On a flat road at 80kmh in the KX-R, I get around 6.5l/100km. In the Grande, it was just below 8l/100km.

It's all to do with getting that much weight up to a certain speed needing a certain amount of power. Keeping it at a set speed, unless it's excessive, doesn't require much power. I'm sure that the people getting great economy all the time live in areas where they can drive for at least a couple of km at a time without stopping. I can only do that when I travel outside the city. As I live very close to the city centre, I don't get great economy all the time. I also don't have to travel very far most of the time, so I don't use much fuel anyhow.

The fuel economy you guys are getting is normal. If you are constantly having to accelerate all the time you are going to use a lot of fuel in any car.

I have checked the school run from my place, which is around a 6.5km round trip. The longest straight run I get is 800m, but that is also through another school zone, so its 40kmh, then 60kmh, then stop at the lights.

On this trip, I was getting approx 16l/100km in the AWD Grande and 13l/100km in the FWD KX-R.

On a flat road at 80kmh in the KX-R, I get around 6.5l/100km. In the Grande, it was just below 8l/100km.

It's all to do with getting that much weight up to a certain speed needing a certain amount of power. Keeping it at a set speed, unless it's excessive, doesn't require much power. I'm sure that the people getting great economy all the time live in areas where they can drive for at least a couple of km at a time without stopping. I can only do that when I travel outside the city. As I live very close to the city centre, I don't get great economy all the time. I also don't have to travel very far most of the time, so I don't use much fuel anyhow.

^ Very well put

I am driving my Kluger normal now and with real in town stuff and warm up cycle open and close farm gates etc and driving up and down mountain to and from my place and driving with "fun" aspect in mind I am now getting 11.5lt per 100km ...... and this is not trying to drive for economy etc etc.

There are so many variables as stated above in the quoted post, the biggest thing is comparing an Apple to an Apple and not a plastic dildo.

WE have tried vpower, then last week wife filled up with Safeway plus, regular. Fuel economy stood at 16L/100ks, this is up from 11.5 on vpower! What a difference, a longer trip on the highway only droped this slightly to 14L. Filled up 40L to test out premium 95. Will see how this goes, already the ecomony on the way home from the shop droped to 12.7L.

I'll keep you posted, also anyone used Vpower racing? 100octane? Its 16c a litre more than regular...

I think 95 is best.

After about 8000ks and many tanks of 98, 95 and standard unleaded I have settled on 95. I get 12 t0 13 around town and 10 on a trip

I am leaning towards 95 octane myself, though only covered 1600km or so, I feel the best economy and fastest acceleration has so far been recorded on the one sample of 95 I got from BP.

Next tank will be this after I finish the current 98 Ultimate.

V power racing is no good 2 months ago. I don't even use that for my RX-8!

Try the BP Ultimate. It is going to good to the power!

filled up with V power racing 2 weeks ago and i am getting 11.5L/100kms and that is city driving around sydney....only problem was it cost $118 to fill....haven't done the maths to see if it is worthwhile...

I can see the pattern now that 2WD has better economy.

My advice is to stay away from Shell 95. They are RUBBISH (with capital letters).

Going to get only Caltex 95 or BP Ultimate. There is no BP 95 in the local BP. Not tried Mobil yet. Now I will do shopping at Safeway and it will help with Caltex fuels.

BTW I am around 14.5 for a 4WD Grande. That is city with 20% highway.

Edited by Taka

I can see the pattern now that 2WD has better economy.

My advice is to stay away from Shell 95. They are RUBBISH (with capital letters).

Going to get only Caltex 95 or BP Ultimate. There is no BP 95 in the local BP. Not tried Mobil yet. Now I will do shopping at Safeway and it will help with Caltex fuels.

BTW I am around 14.5 for a 4WD Grande. That is city with 20% highway.

next fill up i am going to try BP ultimate. the V power racing is always out at the local shell. and I agreee the 95 is toilet.