need help

Black_Oni

my camry sportivo 2005, this 2 days when i drive, it smell something burning, on the right front wheel, it burn like a rubber burning, smell very bad, i dont know what is wrong with it ? anyone help please, cause my car few 500km more due to toyota service time.

Get same thing on my 2001 V6 Camry, sometimes. Best I have been able to come up with is that one or more of the rubbers supporting the exhaust sytem get a little hot. I have looked and lookedbut have not been able to find any sign of possible damage anywhere. Only happens only on occassions, mostly hot dry days..Sorry I can't be of more help. Have had my Camry for 7 years now, so I guess it can't be very bad or something would have shown up by now.

Edited by Topdog

Hey there Black_Oni,

The issues I've had with 'burnt rubber' smells have been because: 1) there is something wrong with the brake caliper, making one of the brake pads grind heavily on the rotor; or 2) the clutch is being destroyed. If you have an automatic, then 2) is unlikely to be your problem. Does the car pull to the right when you brake? If it does then it is a good chance that 1) is your problem.

I don't know much about exhausts, but my intuitions tell me that it would be a strange idea to support metal that gets up to 300C with rubber. Though if there is rubber there, maybe an aftermarket/loose exhaust might heat it?

There are probably other causes too. I'd just take it to Toyota, I don't think they'd quibble over 500km if there's a real concern about the car?

my car is auto, it seem normal when i drive, even when it brake. only the thing it smell like rubber burning. i can't get to the toyota at this time, i am short of $ . beside i just finished my 3 year warranty. my car only 30.000km, my last service is on 30/10/2007. if there a problem, how much cost to fix that ?

Alignment issues maybe. When your steering wheel is straight, check if both tyres are pointing straight. Sometimes they toe out like this. \ / (that is an exaggeration but you get the idea). And thus it is scrubbing hard which causes the burning rubber smell.

IF it is an alignment issue, it should only cost you $65 max to fix it. Toyota, because they're Toyota, will probably charge double, but if you take it to a reputable tire place they will be more than capable of handling it.

Stylish:

I reckon if it was a wheel alignment problem that was causing a burnt rubber smell, you should be able to see the smoke coming off the tyres...

Keisari:

As for rubber supporting exhaust pipes, suggest you get under your car and check it out.

Stylish:

I reckon if it was a wheel alignment problem that was causing a burnt rubber smell, you should be able to see the smoke coming off the tyres...

Keisari:

As for rubber supporting exhaust pipes, suggest you get under your car and check it out.