can u turbo a AE102X

Hi everyone

i got very nice stock 96 corolla seca csx hatchback. The model is a AE102X.The engine is a 1.8 automatic (stock engine 7AFE)

Simply to say its stock and nothings been done to it. i just bought it from some old people who use to drive the car VERY SLOWLY :huh:

Cos im very young and all and dont know much. i was hoping some one might be able to help me out

*Is it worth putting a turbo on?

*Will a blow off valve work on a stock car like mine that is automatic and isnt a turbo?

If there is anyone that can help me.......much would be a appreciated

THANKS IN ADVANCE :help:

Edited by armstrong

u can turbo any car if you are willing to dig deep into your pockets, as for having an auto and BOV are used as a turbocharged application only not for naturally aspirated engines but if you have a turbo you will still be able to hear it when it changes gear but it wont be as poignant and hoonish as say a fully sik wrx (manual) would be

u can turbo any car if you are willing to dig deep into your pockets, as for having an auto and BOV are used as a turbocharged application only not for naturally aspirated engines but if you have a turbo you will still be able to hear it when it changes gear but it wont be as poignant and hoonish as say a fully sik wrx (manual) would be

GEE ur a fast replier

well that answers the BOV question....LOL

honestly mate money isnt an issue. Im preety rich for my age, so its not a issue i have to think about.

You drive a decent car, not a fast or spirited car.

Get yourself a nice set of 17/18's deck it hard and enjoy the look.

My stock sportivo is always going to hammer you, but looking good, you will have more respect on the road.

whitestivo

any recommendations on a turbo kit.

im probably looking probably for a snap on turbo kit, so when ive gotten bored with the car and want to buy a new one i can remove the turbo to make it sell easier. then obviously sell the turbo kit to some one that want it.

Oh yeah replying to whitestevo ur right about looking good for the respect and ur car would snap my auto for sure as its only 87kw's. Gotta admit though its betten a alot of cars since i got it. a few commadores(till i got up to 130km i was able to over take the bugga), lancers, corollas, civics and even a modified V6 mitshubishi magna on a drag for 4 days in a row. LOL the bugga wouldnt give up.

IF the guy with the magna is reading this (doubt it) AWSOME RACE BRO :lol:

Edited by armstrong

doubt there will be any snap on turbo kits for the 7afe, i presume u will need to get alot of custom work done, unless anyone can correct me on that?? but definately go for new the look, exhaust, intake, new wheels, stereo, and respray if the paint is looking worse for wear

7A-FE isn't worth the effort mate. Doesn't go down in the books as Toyota's finest engineering feat. You could run maybe 5psi with a custom turbo job but that's a lot of dough just to have a BOV. I used to have an AE102 and looked at all the options.... your best bet is to convert to a 4A-GZE + manual, then whack a turbo on that. Much better bang for buck. I'd be worried about the stock auto on the 7A holding up to the extra task with the bolt-on turbo too.

What state are you from? Can't drive a turbo in NSW if you're on your red Ps anyway....

Oh yeah replying to whitestevo ur right about looking good for the respect and ur car would snap my auto for sure as its only 87kw's. Gotta admit though its betten a alot of cars since i got it. a few commadores(till i got up to 130km i was able to over take the bugga), lancers, corollas, civics and even a modified V6 mitshubishi magna on a drag for 4 days in a row. LOL the bugga wouldnt give up.

Not that we encourage street racing..but is overtaking someone at 130kms/hr even considered beating someone?and since you're young and don't know much..i'd say stay off the racing..at least then we'll have one more member on board..but to be honest..i'd seriously doubt you'll beat anyone with your little corolla..so stop dreaming abt racing pple on the road and wake up to reality and learn how to drive properly for a start and respect other road users.Anyway back to your question..

..like Tats's already mentioned..the 7AFE ain't worth turbo charging(although i had the Turbocharged stivo before)..cos the gains you get with the amount of money u throw in just ain't worth..especially since yours is an Automatic.An since money is of no issue to you..why don't you sell your car..and get one thats already TC.Toyotas have a gd range of TC vehicles ranging from small ones like corollas & starlet GTs..the MR2s(ftw :D)...and the big guns like the Supras etc..just my 2 cents worth :whistling:

Edited by GReddy_ES

Not that we encourage street racing..but is overtaking someone at 130kms/hr even considered beating someone?and since you're young and don't know much..i'd say stay off the racing..at least then we'll have one more member on board..but to be honest..i'd seriously doubt you'll beat anyone with your little corolla..so stop dreaming abt racing pple on the road and wake up to reality and learn how to drive properly for a start and respect other road users.Anyway back to your question..

..like Tats's already mentioned..the 7AFE ain't worth turbo charging(although i had the Turbocharged stivo before)..cos the gains you get with the amount of money u throw in just ain't worth..especially since yours is an Automatic.An since money is of no issue to you..why don't you sell your car..and get one thats already TC.Toyotas have a gd range of TC vehicles ranging from small ones like corollas & starlet GTs..the MR2s(ftw :D)...and the big guns like the Supras etc..just my 2 cents worth :whistling:

yeah mate ur right about that racing part lately ive been slowing it down alot. and ur right 130 kmh is nothing to what iw as doing. but ive sorta been trying to drive safely which is a positive. Honestly ur right but i just bought it. The initial reason for buying the car was for getting to work.

Just out of curiosity how much would i gain from a turbo?

also ive been thinking maybe it would be best not to tubro and do what someone else said which was to visualise the car and put a muffler and air intake on it.

Will a air intake do much at all?

also ive been thinking maybe it would be best not to tubro and do what someone else said which was to visualise the car and put a muffler and air intake on it.

Will a air intake do much at all?

Power gain wouldn't be enough to justify the cost if you're just going to slap a turbo on. Greddy ES, did you ever put yours on the dyno? I imagine 100kw at the front treads would be the most you'd get out of it, less with the slushbox.

I never messed around with the intake so I can't comment on that.... I just had a 2" exhaust, got some decent suspension under it then just bought expensive tires for the rest of it's days. It'll never be a straight-line machine so unless you're into Autosalon paintjobs and big sound systems, just make it go fast around corners :clap:

How long is a piece of string?

You can (pretty much) get as much power out of your car as you want. engine swaps, and spending bucet loads of money, but the serious question shoud be is it worth spending money on big modifications?

several people have given answers which say that woudnt be worth while mdifying the engine. if you want a fast car, sell your current car and get something more suitable to performance mods, but learn to be sensible on the roads first - no point in telling cops that you try to drive slower