Hi guys.

I'm looking at an 89 MkIII GA70. Here's what I've found out about it so far:

Supra MkIII

GA70 (JDM)

1G-GTE16

2L straight 6 twin turbo

R154 transmisiion

210 hp (157k/w)

It's going for $7,700. Is that good? Is there anything I should be looking out for? It's getting a new battery, fuel pump and rims. I should be driving it this weekend.

Any comments and help would be much appreciated. (See my post in the Celica forum - "95 Celica going - what to do?" for some background.)

Cheers,

Jack

Edited by JackM

Hi guys.

I'm looking at an 89 MkIII GA70. Here's what I've found out about it so far:

Supra MkIII

GA70 (JDM)

1G-GTE16

2L straight 6 twin turbo

R154 transmisiion

210 hp (157k/w)

It's going for $7,700. Is that good? Is there anything I should be looking out for? It's getting a new battery, fuel pump and rims. I should be driving it this weekend.

Any comments and help would be much appreciated. (See my post in the Celica forum - "95 Celica going - what to do?" for some background.)

Cheers,

Jack

Is there a reason why you want the GA70 in particular? Coz my advice would be steer well away from it.

I'm not sure if you're aware but the A70 Series Supras were available with 3 engines, 4 if you count the non turbo.

GA70, 1G-GTE (2.0i Twin Turbo) 1987-1992

MA70, 7M-GE (3.0 N/A) 1986.5-1992

7M-GTE (3.0 Turbo) 1987-1992

and

JZA70, 1JZ-GTE (2.5i Twin Turbo) 1989-1992

Edited by hockysa

Oh sorry, just realised I didnt give much good advice except stay away from the GA70 lolz.

In order or preference and superiority,

JZA70 would be the most favourable, then the MA70 with the 7M-GTE, then the GA70. (Also personally I would also prefer the MA70 non turbo over a GA70)

JZA70's are also a JDM item, although due to increasing petrol prices and new P plate laws the price has plummeted. You can now pick one up from $9000-$12,000 pending condition.

The potential of this car is crazy. Unfortunately I can't say that I've tested it's potential or speak from personal experience, but others have claimed to be able to make 450rwkw on an unopened engine. A friend with the JZZ30 Soarer, is making 280rwkw on his 1JZ-GTE.

Also in case you don't know the JZA80 Supras use the 2JZ-GTE which kinda shows which engine prevailed lolz.

MA70's were available locally, though some floating around were still imported. The 7M-GTE is infamous for its BHG problems. Although some see potential in this engine after installing MHG with aftermarket head studs/bolts. Being a 3.0i its got more torque than the 1JZ's 2.5i, but its potential on an unopened engine falls short to the 1JZ. You can pick them up for under $10k

GA70's being a 2.0i just doesn't pull it's weight. The Supra was grouped as a sports/tourer, kinda comfy but still a sports car. The car is reallly heavy.... If you have the full electric seat that byitself is 50kg, even just the seat equipped with lumber support weighs enough. So smaller engine with less torque pulling more extras doesn't work out better. People have successfully done up this car with decent results but in terms of value for money... GA70 = FTL I would pay $6k MAX! on a 1G

As you can see I am abit biased toward the JZA70. I currently own a MA70 which I plan on putting a 1JZ-GTE into lolz.

cbf adding more but feel free to ask more questions, and i'll try my best to answer. and sorry if im treating you like a noob it's unintentional

Edited by hockysa

Oh sorry, just realised I didnt give much good advice except stay away from the GA70 lolz.

In order or preference and superiority,

JZA70 would be the most favourable, then the MA70 with the 7M-GTE, then the GA70. (Also personally I would also prefer the MA70 non turbo over a GA70)

JZA70's are also a JDM item, although due to increasing petrol prices and new P plate laws the price has plummeted. You can now pick one up from $9000-$12,000 pending condition.

The potential of this car is crazy. Unfortunately I can't say that I've tested it's potential or speak from personal experience, but others have claimed to be able to make 450rwkw on an unopened engine. A friend with the JZZ30 Soarer, is making 280rwkw on his 1JZ-GTE.

Also in case you don't know the JZA80 Supras use the 2JZ-GTE which kinda shows which engine prevailed lolz.

MA70's were available locally, though some floating around were still imported. The 7M-GTE is infamous for its BHG problems. Although some see potential in this engine after installing MHG with aftermarket head studs/bolts. Being a 3.0i its got more torque than the 1JZ's 2.5i, but its potential on an unopened engine falls short to the 1JZ. You can pick them up for under $10k

GA70's being a 2.0i just doesn't pull it's weight. The Supra was grouped as a sports/tourer, kinda comfy but still a sports car. The car is reallly heavy.... If you have the full electric seat that byitself is 50kg, even just the seat equipped with lumber support weighs enough. So smaller engine with less torque pulling more extras doesn't work out better. People have successfully done up this car with decent results but in terms of value for money... GA70 = FTL I would pay $6k MAX! on a 1G

As you can see I am abit biased toward the JZA70. I currently own a MA70 which I plan on putting a 1JZ-GTE into lolz.

cbf adding more but feel free to ask more questions, and i'll try my best to answer. and sorry if im treating you like a noob it's unintentional

It's ok to treat me like a n00b, I am one- I only really got interested in cars when I bought a 95 Celica last year. Thanks for the info.

When the dealer told me the GA70 was a 2L engine I was sorta surprised, and thinking about it pulling a tonne and a half doesn't make a lot of sense. I was looking at it cos it's an import with low kms, less than 100k iirc, and I thought it was a good price. It does have electric drivers seat etc.

I have an ST204R, but it had 365kms when I bought it and 380+ now. I've already spent a fair bit fixing stuff such as broken selector cable and the 5SFE is not everything a sports car engine should be, and I'm wondering what to do now - get another car (likely a Toyota), fix this one up, put a turbo into it ... If I was to get another car I'd ideally like a GT4 or a good Supra.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Jack

• 3 weeks later...

GA70!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!

GA's were purely for the Japanese market only when they were released & should have stayed there. They're a bit of a joke really. What were Toyota thinking??? Get a JZA70 or MA70

GA70!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!

GA's were purely for the Japanese market only when they were released & should have stayed there. They're a bit of a joke really. What were Toyota thinking??? Get a JZA70 or MA70

That's what I thought it WAS until the importer told me.

GA70!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!

That's what I thought it WAS until the importer told me.

I'd looked up these cars when I got there, so I walked up to it and said 'That's a MA70 or a JZA70 innit?" he said no, it's a GA70 ... then he opened the hood and I looked and said hang on, how big is the engine? He said 2L but a six and that's when I got sus and asked the forum, as above.

So thanks guys. :)

Jack Mullaly

• 3 weeks later...

It is a 6, just a small 6. Its actually the same block as the IS200, 1G just not the FE, but a GTTE. I think 7k is very expensive, id offer 3k, then spend teh rest on a conversion, or as others have said get a JZA70 with the mighty 1JZGTE, or the MA70 Turbo-A which has a modified 7MGTE from factory. Very nice looking cars. The GA IIR is only the slim body, not the wide body like teh otehrs.

And im pretty sure the Gearbox in the GA is NOT an R154, but a W series.

It is a 6, just a small 6. Its actually the same block as the IS200, 1G just not the FE, but a GTTE. I think 7k is very expensive, id offer 3k, then spend teh rest on a conversion, or as others have said get a JZA70 with the mighty 1JZGTE, or the MA70 Turbo-A which has a modified 7MGTE from factory. Very nice looking cars. The GA IIR is only the slim body, not the wide body like teh otehrs.

It's well over a month since I saw it, so I doubt it's still there. Thanks to the wisdom of this forum I now know better and I hope to get a nice ma70 or jza70, maybe a celica gt4 ... a guy around the corner wants to sell his gt4 but it has a shocking paintjob on it .... mind you I saw a very pretty looking mr2 the other day, anyone know much about them? I know it's a mid-engine thingy but not a lot more.

Cheers.

Jack

It's well over a month since I saw it, so I doubt it's still there. Thanks to the wisdom of this forum I now know better and I hope to get a nice ma70 or jza70, maybe a celica gt4 ... a guy around the corner wants to sell his gt4 but it has a shocking paintjob on it .... mind you I saw a very pretty looking mr2 the other day, anyone know much about them? I know it's a mid-engine thingy but not a lot more.

Cheers.

Jack

Hi Jack, a good celica GT4 is an awesome car. I wouldnt mind one myself. MR2 is certainly a worthy car to consider. The SW20 or Mk2 model would be the one to look at. Only NA versions were sold through Aus toyota dealers. Toyota japan produced turbo versions so you would have to find a private import if you want turbo. A buddy of mine had a turbo MR2 & I found it went surprisingly well. The NA engine was the 3SFE & the turbo engine was 3SGTE. Be aware the MR2 is purely a 2 seater.

The NA engine was the 3SFE & the turbo engine was 3SGTE.

N/A SW20 MR2s sold in Aus were all 3SGE, big difference from the 3SFE found in SV21 Camrys and ST-spec ST162 Celicas.

Of course, could have just been a typo

Cheers.

Jack

Hi Jack, a good celica GT4 is an awesome car. I wouldnt mind one myself. MR2 is certainly a worthy car to consider. The SW20 or Mk2 model would be the one to look at. Only NA versions were sold through Aus toyota dealers. Toyota japan produced turbo versions so you would have to find a private import if you want turbo. A buddy of mine had a turbo MR2 & I found it went surprisingly well. The NA engine was the 3SFE & the turbo engine was 3SGTE. Be aware the MR2 is purely a 2 seater.

Hi hotsup,

Yes a GT4 is what I ideally want, if I can't afford a Supra. I'd like to put a 5SFTE in my ST204 but my skillZ aren't up to that and won't be for some time so buying one is my only option. But things are tight all round as you all know. For now I'm just going to get my ride in decent shape and see what happens.

The MR2 looks very good, and yeah you only need to look at it to know the back seat isn't worth sh*t :) I'll look up pricing on them or look in the caryards and see if anyone has or can get them.

Thanks again, I love the picking of brains you can get here :D

Cheers,

Jack

The NA engine was the 3SFE & the turbo engine was 3SGTE.

N/A SW20 MR2s sold in Aus were all 3SGE, big difference from the 3SFE found in SV21 Camrys and ST-spec ST162 Celicas.

Of course, could have just been a typo

Yeah, sorry, i did mean 3SGE

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers.

Jack

Hi hotsup,

Yes a GT4 is what I ideally want, if I can't afford a Supra. I'd like to put a 5SFTE in my ST204 but my skillZ aren't up to that and won't be for some time so buying one is my only option. But things are tight all round as you all know. For now I'm just going to get my ride in decent shape and see what happens.

The MR2 looks very good, and yeah you only need to look at it to know the back seat isn't worth sh*t :) I'll look up pricing on them or look in the caryards and see if anyone has or can get them.

Thanks again, I love the picking of brains you can get here :D

Cheers,

Jack

go the GT4 I reckon it's faster than alotta **** off the line. The GT4 was my fav car for years, till I discovered I needed at least a 6cylinder vehicle to satisfy me :) but going by power to weigh IIRC the Nissan Pulsar GTiR was superior but kinda ugly...

but then IMHO the SW20 MR2 is the sexiest of all my fav toyotas

Edited by hockysa