........CAI?

don't flame me about asking a question about cold air intakes. I did use the search but couldnt really find the answer i am after.

I've noticed that i can get some no name brand CAI from eBay in the US for AUD$87.36 delivered and i have a few questions around these. Anyone ever used one? even if it is crap, if i got a K&N filter to put on it. wouldn't it would still work out cheaper then the 200-400 most people seem to be paying for them in Australia. Its designed for the Matrix XRS which i have read on this forum will fit a '04 sportivo. The kit includes the long aluminium pipe with attachements, bolts and steel mesh filter. from the picture in the add i can't see a mounting point/hole for the sensor but it may be on the other side.

I must be missing something here because it sounds way too cheap. Opinions?

lols,

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=5503

all CAI's do the same thing,

unless you want to DIY or pay 350+ for a branded one, then yeah get it LOL

i think one of my mates bought one of em custom ebay cai's & no problems as of yet

CAI's may do the same thing, but they are not all created equal, Simple rule (this apply's to pretty much all things) YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

yeah fair point about the you get what you pay for.

I suppose im really after an opinon as to wether the filter it self is the key part in the CAI or does the pipe shape it self play a significant role?

I mean the CAI is a very simple piece of equipment, its not like the exhaust system which has calculated lengths and other factors. although i am no expert so all im after is opinions.

filters are easy to come by compared to mandrel bent alluminum pipes made for a specific model of car.

Actually CAI can be tuned to a certain length, based on pipe diameter, air flow rate etc...

I know that with competition vehicles, where everything counts, the intake has to be designed to match the whole characteristic of the engine etc.