single din HU & tray questions

XploShun

hi!

ive bought a pioneer single din hu a few weeks ago..

didnt have time to find someone to install it (exams etcetcetc)

i realised that most members here tend to install their HU in the upper deck and have the tray below... is there a reason for it?

theres this USB cable from the HU that i can use (it connects from the back..... then how can i pull the cable out when its installed?)

do i have to drill a hole in the tray and pull the cable out from there?

anyway, can any1 recommend me a place who can install my hu (in sydney)

need help!! thx guys!!

How ya going mate.

I got my HU installed in the top din due to me having to flip the screen down to take it out, if it was at the bottom it probly would end up hitting the centre console part area. (plus it looks neater at the top, my thoughts anyway)

To keep it hidden and a little neater, instead of bringing it out through the din space underneath, get one of those usb 2.0 extention leads(about $10 at dik smith), join onto the HU usb and bring it out through the glove box, thats what i did anyway.

Heaps of places do it, look up you nearest autobahn, strathfield car radios theres bound to be a place near you. Usually its about $60 for a HU swap over + the toyota spacers on the side and the bottom din space holder peice.

mate i think the easiest way to do it is go to repco and buy the plugs from corolla to pioneer. its just a simple plug and play. but if you are worried about pulling the plastic surrounds out then i would take it to a pro.

I think it's easier to see whats in the tray and also put in and take out things if its on the bottom. Also with single din dvd units, having it on the bottom would block the tray once the screen comes up.

You can drill a hole if you like in the back of the pocket. Only problem I can see is if you leave the car and forget to take your mp3 or ipod with you, the device can be seen.

If you have a Sony tray like mine, you can hide stuff :)

i got my stereo installed by Car Audio Excellence out here in western Sydney..

they're prices are reasonable if not cheaper than most places and they're workmanship i find is very reliable, and everyone there is easy to talk to so if you have any questions they will most likely give you their opinions straight up. they offer life time warranty on installations aswell.

hope this helps

How ya going mate.

I got my HU installed in the top din due to me having to flip the screen down to take it out, if it was at the bottom it probly would end up hitting the centre console part area. (plus it looks neater at the top, my thoughts anyway)

To keep it hidden and a little neater, instead of bringing it out through the din space underneath, get one of those usb 2.0 extention leads(about $10 at dik smith), join onto the HU usb and bring it out through the glove box, thats what i did anyway.

Heaps of places do it, look up you nearest autobahn, strathfield car radios theres bound to be a place near you. Usually its about $60 for a HU swap over + the toyota spacers on the side and the bottom din space holder peice.

thats wt i thought.. coz the HU flip screen might hit centre console.. but i was thinking.. if im using the BT GPS receiver.. isnt it better to place it above the HU? hmmmm

i guess, i wont be using the BT GPS receiver all the time.. so... i better install the HU on top too.. like u guys!

id rather not put the cable in the glove box.. coz its bloody full.. LOL

mate i think the easiest way to do it is go to repco and buy the plugs from corolla to pioneer. its just a simple plug and play. but if you are worried about pulling the plastic surrounds out then i would take it to a pro.

i was gonna try doing it myself.. but $60.. hmm thats alright.. i got all the spacers and tray already! :)

hate removing the clips and all.. hate to break it!! !@#$%^

I think it's easier to see whats in the tray and also put in and take out things if its on the bottom. Also with single din dvd units, having it on the bottom would block the tray once the screen comes up.

You can drill a hole if you like in the back of the pocket. Only problem I can see is if you leave the car and forget to take your mp3 or ipod with you, the device can be seen.

If you have a Sony tray like mine, you can hide stuff :)

Sony tray!? damn! i doubt pioneer makes it too! :angry:

im only gonna put in my wallet & phone........... o fuk!

im gonna put my ipod on the phone holder thingo on the windscreen... so im still not sure where i can bring out the cable from... the a/c?? tray??

think tayle brought it out from the cigi tray..

i got my stereo installed by Car Audio Excellence out here in western Sydney..

they're prices are reasonable if not cheaper than most places and they're workmanship i find is very reliable, and everyone there is easy to talk to so if you have any questions they will most likely give you their opinions straight up. they offer life time warranty on installations aswell.

hope this helps

thx yuro

so its definitely on the top!! hmmmm

Edited by XploShun

If you live in sydney bring it to me, ill do it for any cheaper price, if ur scared to brake the clips on the stereo surround dont be, you wont, ive pulled mine out around 20 times test fitting a new screen.

Are they charging $60 to wire it up and install it?

If you live in sydney bring it to me, ill do it for any cheaper price, if ur scared to brake the clips on the stereo surround dont be, you wont, ive pulled mine out around 20 times test fitting a new screen.

Are they charging $60 to wire it up and install it?

it'll be great!

but... ur from north shore tho!

id rather pay some1 on this forum.. :D

Edited by XploShun

Just a side note, if your looking for somewhere neat and tidy to bring a cable through the dash for your MP3 player, I used the flip down door below the climate control (above the ashtray) for my iPod cable from the Alpine deck. Basically just drilled a hole in the back of the pocket, works perfectly cause even if I leave the iPod in the car, it cannot be seen from the outside.

JC