The age old question

SeiferST162

Just wondering what the best option for a pod air filter would be for my st162 86 model. And is there a big difference in performance in a pod filter or the stock filter? As a yard stick i ran my car around our test track with the airfilter off and with the stock one on. Feels a lot quicker with it off and my lap times show it...but how much damage will i do without it? <_<

If you want a real noticable power difference go Turbo charged. Pod filters if anything give a car about a 3-8kw rise in power. That said the 162's are coming onto 30 years old now so I doubt you will get a figure as great as the one above.

Oh yeah dont drive without a filter at all, your risking huge amounts of damage. Instead give it the ghetto approach and clamp a piece of cloth on the end of the TB.

but how much damage will i do without it? <_<

How much do you have for an engine rebuild?

Ummm just come back from an engine rebuild...i'll try to avoid that one again! See http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=15720 for the details of its performance. Mostly custom made parts now. but thinking about some new mods pod filter was one of the thoughts we were floating around along with turbo ect.

i think if youre not planning on getting a full cold air intake setup, and youre just going to remove the air box and stick a pod filter onto the end of the air tube, then it would make absolutely no difference. if anything, it'd make it worse because its sucking in hot air, rather than fresh air.

• 1 month later...

Ok so i decided to go with the pod filter. But i need to know what size before i can order one... so if this isn't to stupid of a question, Where to i messure to find out the size i need for a pod filter? <_<

Ok so i decided to go with the pod filter. But i need to know what size before i can order one... so if this isn't to stupid of a question, Where to i messure to find out the size i need for a pod filter? <_<

Take the air piping off the throttlebody and measure the diameter of the pipe that's connected to it. Generally they are around 2.5-3". Don't just add a pod filter onto the end of the throttlebody though, find somebody who will make you up a proper CAI to go with it.