scooter

leasaunce

Hi guys,

im thinking of getting one of this electric/battery powered scooter.

product1_7953.jpg

now my question is. on the RTA website it says:

In NSW any device with a motor must be registered for use on a road or road related area unless it is specifically exempt.

Motorised foot scooters, miniature motorbikes (also known as mini bikes, pocket bikes or monkey bikes) and other motorised recreational devices do not meet minimum Australian design standards for safety and so cannot be registered. This means they must not be used on roads or in any public areas such as footpaths, car parks and parks.

taken from http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/oth...kes.html?rlid=6 **confused** now...where the hell can i drive them!!?

I want one so i can go to and from work B) has anyone from here purchased one of this before?? if so hows it?

Edited by leasaunce

According to that quote, the law is pretty clear cut. "Legally", you cant really use them in any public place?! Just like a lot of things like CAI's that arent boxed and some sports seats arent street legal, but you can still definately buy them. With the scooter though... it may be illegal to use, but its another question as to whether a police officer is actually going to enforce that law if you were to scoot past one walking on foot? (if you were scooting responsibly, wearing helmet, aware of pedestrians etc... I dont think you would be noticed)... could be wrong. do you see a lot of motorised scooters around your workplace?

It would be at the cop's discretion, and I doubt any of them would bother pulling you up on it unless you'd just rolled an old lady for her handbag and tried to use the scooter as a getaway vehicle :lol:

It's the same with kids riding their bikes without a helmet. That's meant to be the law and I never see the police doing anything about it?

just dont ride it around the weeks comming up to July 1st when the cops are trying to make up for their un booked quota haha i know the cops around here (north east vic) wont care unless you annoy them but that wont be the case everywhere of course,..