Update: Hertz ESK or Alpine Type R?

dayve

hey peeps

Just thought id run a general question by u guys so i dont get noobed at the audio stores.

Can Anyone suggest any good splits between teh 300-400 dollar mark?? I dont wanna pay for something too high quality as I cant afford a top of the range amp( so mite be underpowering the splits). Ive heard of Focal, Hertz and Mb quarts are good..but i dont know any specfic models apart from the brand names.

How about Alpine type X?

planning to run them with 4channel amp combined with a sub.

but yeah needing something with good midrange and bass as i listen to mostly hip hop and rnb.

any suggestins appreicated guys as im as noob as u get in the audio dept :unsure:

Edited by dayve

Jay Car's Response Precision Kevlar splits are good. They are only around $150 for 6.5inch too and are really good quality. If you wanna spend like 300-400 bucks MB Quarts are good, also can't go wrong with alpine :)

I'd say spend less on the amp and more on the speakers. The speakers "make" the system! The alpine Type X's are nice, Focals are nice too. If you want to go up the next stage, i'd go to something like Dynaudio.

alrite guys..sussed out some splits

what you decide between running? on alpine 4channel amp MRPS300

1) Alpine Type R Splits or 2) Hertz ESK 165

-listen to hip hop n rnb

cheers :)

Edited by dayve

I'd say spend less on the amp and more on the speakers. The speakers "make" the system! The alpine Type X's are nice, Focals are nice too. If you want to go up the next stage, i'd go to something like Dynaudio.

i would disagree with that.. a friend of mine had some decent speakers but crappy amp.. it end up to be disasterous..

my setup does not hv the BEST speakers but it was backed up by a decent amp (i would say) and it sounded a lot better.. good speakers thts lacking power will not be much better then stock imo..

Mate I think with car audio its more a personal choice. Set your budget, and then listen to everything in that price range, when you hear the ones you like, thats your decision made.

I have the Alpine Type R splits in the front (co-axials in the rear) and I love them, but I know of plenty of other people with the same budget who liked a Hertz, MB Quart etc product in the same price range better, so just go with the ones you like the sound of, and make sure you listen to your own style of music on them too, not just the store demo CD.

Whatever you do, regardless of what you go with, amp them properly, or your wasting your money in the first place.

JC

I'm putting my vote in for the Alpine Type-R. I was in just the same situation six months ago and ended up choosing the Type-R Splits for the front and 6" coaxials for the rear. Hooked up to the midrange 2 channel on 8 gauge wiring. Nothing but love for them so far. And as they've aged, I've noticed they can take that little bit more then when first installed... either that or they blew my ear drums :huh:

My brothers had both; Type R splits and he now has Hertz Splits.

The Type r's were decent, but didnt really stand up to the Hertz Splits

Spend the extra and get the Hertz HSK165's

You won't regret it, only minor complaints is that tweeters are a tad bright but mounting them correctly can fix this

they are great with various types of music too, not just one trick ponies :P

Better then Alpine Type X splits IMO

My brothers had both; Type R splits and he now has Hertz Splits.

The Type r's were decent, but didnt really stand up to the Hertz Splits

Spend the extra and get the Hertz HSK165's

You won't regret it, only minor complaints is that tweeters are a tad bright but mounting them correctly can fix this

they are great with various types of music too, not just one trick ponies :P

Better then Alpine Type X splits IMO

hrm someone speaks my mind ... i do hv to agree the tweeter being bit too bright.. but im used to it now :P

Ive got Focal 165A's which are the older model of the now known 165A1's i think. Im powering them with 75wrms from my rockford amp and they sound beautiful, tweeters not too bright being in corolla location, and rear speakers im runnind MB Quart 2 way coaxials also running off the amp and they sound beautifull 2. Ive owned these focals for around 3 years or so, never missed a beat.

Ive got Focal 165A's which are the older model of the now known 165A1's i think. Im powering them with 75wrms from my rockford amp and they sound beautiful, tweeters not too bright being in corolla location, and rear speakers im runnind MB Quart 2 way coaxials also running off the amp and they sound beautifull 2. Ive owned these focals for around 3 years or so, never missed a beat.

yeh focal.. another one i'd go for.. I've got a focal sub on my rolla now and hrm.. nice soft doof dooooooof... nothing that kicks you in the back!!! quality product at a reasonable price imo

thanks for the replies guys..your input has been really valuable.

Im going with the Hertz ESK will let you know how it goes in a few weeks to go :)

cheers

Edited by dayve

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Just installed Hertz HSK splits (higher spec up from ESK) which can run at 125rms each speaker and atm im running it at 150rms each. Sounds not bad..very clear at high volumes evn upto 40 on the deck.

Not running any rear speakers or sub atm and yeah its kinda wierd without a sound from the back.

anywho, im looking to get a sub and box package for roughly around 250 dollars

through some suggestions, specific BRANDS & MODELS at me!! want somethign with best bass possible roughly arnd 12" and planing to run it of a mono block(250 bucks)

any tips?

dayve :)

$500 for both limits your options a bit.

If my budget was limited too $500 for both i'd look at buying either second hand

or the following-

Amp: Jaycar Precision Response Car Amp 2x150WRMS $250 500wrms @ 4 ohm

Sub Choices: Digital Designs 512 $249

Image Dynamics ID10V.3 $299

Treo Engineering TSI 12.4 $299

Crossfire BMFW10D $249

Oz Audio OzV12.3-2 $299

Hertz Energy 300.3 $296

BlackairII+ 12 $295

Boston G212-44 $339 on sale

Edited by Pumped

$500 for both limits your options a bit.

If my budget was limited too $500 for both i'd look at buying either second hand

or the following-

Amp: Jaycar Precision Response Car Amp 2x150WRMS $250 500wrms @ 4 ohm

Sub Choices: Digital Designs 512 $249

Image Dynamics ID10V.3 $299

Treo Engineering TSI 12.4 $299

Crossfire BMFW10D $249

Oz Audio OzV12.3-2 $299

Hertz Energy 300.3 $296

BlackairII+ 12 $295

Boston G212-44 $339 on sale

thanks pumped :D

atm im looking at the jaycar response 800w rms monoblock for about 180 bucks used

is this a good buy? as i dont know much about jaycar at all..but ive heard its bang for your buck

any reviews on this paritcular amp or jaycar amps in general?

Edited by dayve

I havent seen any reviews on the 800w rms amp, have heard good things though

I have seen reviews on the previous 2x150w rms amps etc from the same response line, several have taken out comparisons in magazines for best value for money, and most power per $

Should be a great choice for $180 :D