This is weird , 2 engines, 2 knocks

toycam88

:huh: :o

We have 2 88 Camry Vzv21's V6 2.5 litre jobs 2vz-fe engines to be precise. They both run, the first has a knock in the motor, the other has had fully reco cylinder heads and done only 30kms when it developed the very same Knocking sound. WTF? Is there a common fault with these engines that fails that anyone knows or has heard of? Seems too much of a coincidence to us. <_<

:huh: :o

We have 2 88 Camry Vzv21's V6 2.5 litre jobs 2vz-fe engines to be precise. They both run, the first has a knock in the motor, the other has had fully reco cylinder heads and done only 30kms when it developed the very same Knocking sound. WTF? Is there a common fault with these engines that fails that anyone knows or has heard of? Seems too much of a coincidence to us. <_<

University of Hard Knocks.

In 1998 my GTi SUZUKI developed a knocking clunk noise which we diagnosed as coming from a conrod or big end as it was at crankshaft speed.

It go worse as weeks went by.

It sounded really convincing.

We stripped down a perfectly servicable engine to pieces.

Perfect bearing shells

Perfect pistons

The linish marks still in the block.

**** HAPPENS

Traced it to a worn keyway holding the lower timing gear cog on the crankshaft.

The 2VZFE (VZV21) engine uses same design and a lower drive cog keyed to the crankshaft so I would be looking at this first and the harmonic balancer.

This should be easy from underneath taking the balancer off and the lower timing belt cover and then testing for any backlash.

Also check the key it will show signs of wear if this is the culprit.

If you dont find it there check the top end camshaft keyways an the springloading of the camshaft counter gear which has a scissor anti backlash gear drive.

But you should use a stethoscope to try to pinpoint where the noise is emanating from.

Chances are if its in the crankshaft, the damage will be in the keyhole as well as the key will be also be worn.

You may get lucky and fit an oversized key and glue.

In my cas we wrote off the crank and the engine, it would have needed welding as it is forged in a G13B GTi engine.

Good Luck.

Im thinking Ill go with a 3 litre engine ..

Though I am told they are filthy dirty inside.

Edited by Steve gee

Many thanks Steve for that advice. ;) We are in the throws of buying a stethoscope and we are going to order a vrs from the states (much cheaper) to investigate if the heads need removal. It is such a shame this motor has done this and as we have two sounding similiar we are doubting the reliability of the 2vz. I did read that they are "weak" engines in another forum which is a concern. My Sv21 3sfe has done I would say about 600 Thou kms in the 11 years I have owned it without a rebuild and is still going well, which lead us to believe that the v6 perhaps would also be of similar quality as this one has only done 220 thou kms prior to head rebuilds. Keeping fingers crossed its only a easy problem. Thanks again.

Many thanks Steve for that advice. ;) We are in the throws of buying a stethoscope and we are going to order a vrs from the states (much cheaper) to investigate if the heads need removal. It is such a shame this motor has done this and as we have two sounding similiar we are doubting the reliability of the 2vz. I did read that they are "weak" engines in another forum which is a concern. My Sv21 3sfe has done I would say about 600 Thou kms in the 11 years I have owned it without a rebuild and is still going well, which lead us to believe that the v6 perhaps would also be of similar quality as this one has only done 220 thou kms prior to head rebuilds. Keeping fingers crossed its only a easy problem. Thanks again.

Yeah tend to agree looking at my two dead 2VZFE engines one with broken crankshaft and the second cooked from inside out without the temp gauge going over normal.

When I stripped the second engine the rear head had baked brown galleries showing oil is critical in these engines.

I am now runnign a bigger filter and CH14 high detergent turbo oil.

This engine is running OK on LPG but I watch for water useage every day.

How is your oil pressure cold and hot at idle?

Check where the clunk is front or back left or right.

Do a compr test (hard for back block).

I have good block and crank if you want a feebie to rebore.

cheers

Have you heard from Jetstream lately?

Hows his manual going?

I still think we could fit a 3VZ late model engine.