My Stivo sounds like a diesel

Hi guys, ive had my 04 stivo since the begining of this year. anwyay it makes a few weird noises, one which i think is the gear selector cables which i learnt after browsing this forum. It sounds like rattling from under the car and cames and goes. If it is that, i have come to learn that there is no real solution for this...true?

2nd is, my gf keeps saying my car sounds like a diesel motor cause when its at low revs it makes (like take off at too low a rev, not to the point where its goings to stall but at about 1500-2000k).....well.....diesel sounding noise. Do all stivos sorta sound like this? Had this since i got it and all was stock.

The car has perfect service records every 10thous and the was in perfect nick when i got it. Theres nothing wrong with it, and it runs fine, but my missus is starting to bug me.lol

Any ideas or thoughts?

Rattling type noise is also worse when your car is cold and you have the A/C switched on.

As for gear selector cables rattling there is a solution and it's a relatively easy fix. If you have warranty left toyota will cover it or else you just need to stop them from hitting on the heat shield of the exhaust manifold.

Hi guys, ive had my 04 stivo since the begining of this year. anwyay it makes a few weird noises, one which i think is the gear selector cables which i learnt after browsing this forum. It sounds like rattling from under the car and cames and goes. If it is that, i have come to learn that there is no real solution for this...true?

2nd is, my gf keeps saying my car sounds like a diesel motor cause when its at low revs it makes (like take off at too low a rev, not to the point where its goings to stall but at about 1500-2000k).....well.....diesel sounding noise. Do all stivos sorta sound like this? Had this since i got it and all was stock.

The car has perfect service records every 10thous and the was in perfect nick when i got it. Theres nothing wrong with it, and it runs fine, but my missus is starting to bug me.lol

Any ideas or thoughts?

check the heatshields.........

when women start complaining there is usually an underlying reason!

Yeah there is usually it there week in the month lol

Any ideas or thoughts?

check the heatshields.........

also been a few issues with drivebelt tensioners making rattly noises at low revs............

Rattling type noise is also worse when your car is cold and you have the A/C switched on.

As for gear selector cables rattling there is a solution and it's a relatively easy fix. If you have warranty left toyota will cover it or else you just need to stop them from hitting on the heat shield of the exhaust manifold.

Ey guys, thanks for all your info. Ummm.... in regards to stopping the cables from hitting the heat shield, is it something i can see/do by just looking under the car or into the bonnet? I roughly remember reading something about using cable ties??? Whats the heat shield look like, is it near the headers or hidden away somewhere in the back where its a pain in the butt. :S My warranty has run out.

If anyone could please take photos or point me towards the right topic i would trully apreciate it.

Thank you

Ey guys, thanks for all your info. Ummm.... in regards to stopping the cables from hitting the heat shield, is it something i can see/do by just looking under the car or into the bonnet? I roughly remember reading something about using cable ties??? Whats the heat shield look like, is it near the headers or hidden away somewhere in the back where its a pain in the butt. :S My warranty has run out.

If anyone could please take photos or point me towards the right topic i would trully apreciate it.

Thank you

the heat shield is just a big metal plate that covers the downpipes from the exhaust manifold

hey guys. mine does that rattling aswell its so annoying.. so in order to seperate the gear selector cable from the heatsheilf.. how would you go about that.. by tying it to something what would be the easiest sollution..

Thanks

yeh, i still dont understand what to do, i checked behide the motor just from looking into my bonnet and i saw a metal shield (hopefully thats the one that were talking about), are we ment to bend it up or ....???

Hey Guys

I’ve had my stivo for a while and mine sounds the same.

I’ll be shortly pulling my motor apart for a head Rebuild with performance upgrades. so ill update you guys with how it goes and what is F***ed up and needs to be replaced

Im also going to check my valve rods for bends as I read it is a common problem with the 2zz design

Do many of you notice your car back fire a bit when backing off the accelerator?

Also on the topic do many of you guys get a shimming rattly sounds when you back off it sounds like it comes from the gear box but people keep saying that it seems like the heat shield plates for the exhaust is loose but I recon it may be coming from the gear box.

any ideas ?

Regards

XENTU8

nahh dont know about it back firing.. mine has never done that or never heard of that.. but yer its got something to do with the gearbox or gearbox cable because when u m shimmy the gear stick while its in gear.. the noise changes.. so its linked with the gearbox somehow.. but dunno what to do about it...