TCR10 Model History

Blueduck

I have owned my '91 TCR10 Gli for just on 12 months now. I & my family love it.

I spent quite a long time looking around for a family vehicle ( 6-8 seats)

and in the end concluded nothing matched the tarago, within or beyond our budget.

While our vehicle one of the earlier TCR10's it is in great condition (240K kms) and I expect to drive for a long time yet. I want to get to know my vehicle better (we are planning a few extended trips)

Looking around at other taragos, the model did not seem to change much over its life '90 -'00. I have only noticed a few minor things other than "extras" between the Gli/ getaways & Glx's

Has any one written a history of the model? Perhaps detailing its design origins,

its somewhat unique flat engine, Minor design updates over its years (cooling system?) Known maintenance issues and their fixes.

Regards Blueduck - perth

Ps I went to buy a full workshop manual but the local dealer said they were no longer available!

Hi Blueduck

Working in a Toyota Parts Department, we tend to see a pattern emerge with some vehicles and the parts that usually fail with them. For example with Hiaces and the air cleaners hoses etc etc....

The only thing that stands out in my mind with the TCR series is the Equipment Drive Shaft. If you have a look there are some rubber-type, I guess you would call them dampers, on the ends of the shaft. These cannot be replaced separately, they have to be bought in a kit costing around about the $540 mark. Rarely do they need to be replaced but it might be something to be weary of in the future.

At the start of 1996, there was a minor cooling system change but nothing too major, the water pump and radiator stay the same all throughout the series.

With regards to the long trips, the best information I can give you is to make sure the car is serviced, or at least looked over before embarking on a big trip. If you know that you are going to go somewhere remote, take a few spares, ie: coolant, oil, fuses, bulbs and anything else you deem neccesary.

Look after your car and it will look after you.......

• 2 weeks later...

Taragos are good... my parents have one... (had it since new) 99 Getaway II, 5-spd manual :D Got around 130000 or so on the clock runs like a champ (what Toyota doesn't?!?)... they want some more power out of it though, would there be much to expect from an exhaust (simple one) and modding the airbox/fitting a pod? I'm trying to source the supercharger off the 2TZ-FZE in Japan but I don't come across them... also looking for an *Estima* badge for a JDM touch :D I've already started to de-stickerise the thing hehehehehhe :lol:

Jose

• 1 year later...

I have owned my '91 TCR10 Gli for just on 12 months now. I & my family love it.

I spent quite a long time looking around for a family vehicle ( 6-8 seats)

and in the end concluded nothing matched the tarago, within or beyond our budget.

While our vehicle one of the earlier TCR10's it is in great condition (240K kms) and I expect to drive for a long time yet. I want to get to know my vehicle better (we are planning a few extended trips)

Looking around at other taragos, the model did not seem to change much over its life '90 -'00. I have only noticed a few minor things other than "extras" between the Gli/ getaways & Glx's

Has any one written a history of the model? Perhaps detailing its design origins,

its somewhat unique flat engine, Minor design updates over its years (cooling system?) Known maintenance issues and their fixes.

Regards Blueduck - perth

Ps I went to buy a full workshop manual but the local dealer said they were no longer available!

Have a look at this link. Not very comprehensive but it give quite a good overview.

http://www1.autotrader.com.au/mellor/mello...ta&model=Tarago

Basically two models

Series 2 Mk1

GLX = 4 Wheel disks independent rear end, automatic

GLS = same as above in 4WD

Series 2 Mk 2

No 4wd in this series

Ultima = late series MK2 with all the bells & whistles

GLI = Base model with solid rear axle and drums

Getaway = more upmarket above with twin aircon & rear disks(?)

The GLI progressively got airbags, cruise control, tacho, and rear disks as they they approached 1999.l

The very late GLI had ALB, airbags

On a different subject does yours have a bit of noise, ticking under accerleration ?

I went to the dealer today and they said it was pretty normal to have SAD shaft noise , even from new and not to worry about it until it realy rattlely.

Mine is 1990 GLX (no sunroofs) and has 254k km on the clock.

We have a 97 GLI, bought it in 2000 with 20,000 on it (107,000 now). It was a Canberra diplomat car from new. Best car by far we have owned. Now we are tossing the idea of buying a 06 model GLI at the moment.

Only problem we had was a busted thermostat and overflow bottle, other than that no problem. It came with front and rear bars, genuine front and cargo mats, tinted windows, alarm, and paint/underbody protection.

cheers

Ralph

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Ralph. I know it has been more than a year after you fixed the tarago busted thermostat and overflow bottle. Could you please advice me that how much would it cost to do this? Do you know any place to get this done in Sydney?

• 3 months later...

Thankyou Micky. I will look a bit more closely at that shaft in due course.

You can now get Nolathane Kit for replacement of shaft bushes check your local supplier.

:help: newbie here . wondering if anyone can advive about the shaft bush as i need to replace them in my 99 model followed the forums and checked out the nolathane parts and that where i stuck there are 2 different outside diameters and 3 different inside diameters sizes and so rang a dealer who was no help . hoping someone here might be able to help

thanks