Battery Mod

I want to fit CAI and pod filter, problem is $200 fine.

Solution fit TRD panel filter in factory box and fit CAI to airbox.

Remove battery, plastic tray, metal support and drill holes (green lines in pic)

refit support tray, plastic tray at 90 deg. fit battery andadjust batt cables to suit..

Buy batt tiedown from supercheap $4, 1/4 threaded rod, nuts, washers from Bunnings $3.50

Cut rod to size, heat and bend J into rod and fit..

Result more room to mod airbox and fit CAI

post-402-1106698044_thumb.jpg

post-402-1106698074_thumb.jpg

post-402-1106698096_thumb.jpg

post-402-1106698116_thumb.jpg

AS I SAID $200 Fine and defect notice for POD filter if it is uncovered NSW dont know about QLD

hrmm i thought pod filter and cai were different ? since cai only draws in cold air coz of its location ? :huh:  sooo i dunno why u have to box the cai.

Box the pod filter not the cai... I want to fit a cai to the factory box to stay legal using the trd panel filter in the factory box..

I could put flutes above the battery side in the bonnet and cut a hole in the factory box under the filter to allow more air flow using the air from the bonnet flutes. I dont know..

my idea was to cut a large hole at the front of the factory box and run 125mm flexable ducting to front of the car, thats why the battery needed to move.

Edited by dale2176

hrmm i thought pod filter and cai were different ? since cai only draws in cold air coz of its location ? :huh:  sooo i dunno why u have to box the cai.

Box the pod filter not the cai... I want to fit a cai to the factory box to stay legal using the trd panel filter in the factory box..

I have done a similar mod. I am using the factory box ... then I had a plastic pipe made that goes from the Air box down the side of the battery and down into the bumper ... there was no need to move the batterry. Just a bit of a struggle to get it in. But it does work.

Will take some pics and post them when I have a chance.

Nish

Actually ... now that I took a good look at the TRD intake ... my plastic pipe runs exactly the same way B) ... just that my pipe cost R100 (which is about 21 Aus Dollars).

We normally get some good quality CAI for about R500 ($100) but they are not available here yet ... but I sure they will be soon :D

AS I SAID $200 Fine and defect notice for POD filter if it is uncovered NSW dont know about QLD

not entirly true, this is only the case if the pod is in the engine bay, as teh TRD one is not then you dont have any probs, my car is registered in NSW and i have had no probs even when having my vehicle inspected, the guys at the toyota place where i get my car serviced also said that it was all ok.

not entirly true, this is only the case if the pod is in the engine bay, as teh TRD one is not then you dont have any probs, my car is registered in NSW and i have had no probs even when having my vehicle inspected, the guys at the toyota place where i get my car serviced also said that it was all ok.

hrmm cant u get done for noise pollution though ? hope not coz im gonna install my TRD CAI in a few weeks (waiting for bak-order from the dealer). geeez, cant believe it cost $270 to get it installed. :blink: does it really require that much labour hrs ?

might even have a go myself, if i do bugger up the installation, ill just take it to the toyota dealer.

hope not coz im gonna install my TRD CAI in a few weeks (waiting for bak-order from the dealer). geeez, cant believe it cost $270 to get it installed. blink.gif does it really require that much labour hrs ?

might even have a go myself, if i do bugger up the installation, ill just take it to the toyota dealer.

It takes on average about 2 hours to install (first timer....about an hour for experianced ppls) plus minor modification to one bracket. 270$ to install is highway robbery.

Do it yer self and save the money (if you feel you can) there are plenty of people to help you do it on this forum. and we dont mind getting phoe calls ;)

take a look at the workshop section also :D

Edited by Danthuyer

hope not coz im gonna install my TRD CAI in a few weeks (waiting for bak-order from the dealer). geeez, cant believe it cost $270 to get it installed. blink.gif does it really require that much labour hrs ?

It takes on average about 2 hours to install (first timer....about an hour for experianced ppls) plus minor modification to one bracket. 270$ to install is highway robbery.

Do it yer self and save the money (if you feel you can) there are plenty of people to help you do it on this forum. and we dont mind getting phoe calls ;)

haha yep i have. looks pretty easy. but i dont want to stuff up my installing. hrmm do u have to remove the battery though ? + does it come with detailed instructions ?

haha yep i have. looks pretty easy. but i dont want to stuff up my installing. hrmm do u have to remove the battery though ? + does it come with detailed instructions ?

it comes with instructions. but it can get a bit confusing with all the VSV valves and such. whereabouts are u?

it comes with instructions. but it can get a bit confusing with all the VSV valves and such. whereabouts are u?

nsw. but, ill ask around to see if other car workshop can fit it in for half da price. if i cant get that, ill see if u guys can help me.

yes you have to remove the battery to fit it ;) well it makes it easier if you do anyway.

Seriously its not all that hard. the only reason it took me a while the first time was due to a bad bolt that was holding in my battery. other than that...its easy. (after the first 2 you can do it without instructions)

If you follow my pics and make a few phones calls it's easy ;)

but if you are not confident enough then thats cool :D

yes you have to remove the battery to fit it ;) well it makes it easier if you do anyway.

Seriously its not all that hard. the only reason it took me a while the first time was due to a bad bolt that was holding in my battery. other than that...its easy. (after the first 2 you can do it without instructions)

If you follow my pics and make a few phones calls it's easy ;)

but if you are not confident enough then thats cool :D

kk cool.

soo u know the original airbox, is that very easy to take off ? also the extra bracket that needs to be cut, can u cut that yourself ? or do u need a proper sawing machine ?

all you need is 8 / 10 / 12 mm sockets, 2 shifting spanners, electricle tape, plyers, hose cap and zip tie.....and bandaids if you cut yerself :huh:

The stadard airbox and snorkel are easy to take off. only 3 bolts hold the airbox onto the chassis...they under the filter ;)

For the bracket, if you have a metal cutter then great. if no a vice and hacksaw will do the job :)

Edited by Danthuyer

all you need is  8 / 10 / 12 mm sockets, 2 shifting spanners, electricle tape, plyers, hose cap and zip tie.....and bandaids if you cut yerself  :huh:

The stadard airbox and snorkel are easy to take off. only 3 bolts hold the airbox onto the chassis...they under the filter ;)

For the bracket, if you have a metal cutter then great. if no a vice and hacksaw will do the job :)

kk thnx. i just had a look at my engine and your guide. i have a question. u know your 3pic where u quoted "this pipe comes with the box" i was wondering which pipe u are talkin about. coz since my car is a conquest model, the piping is different and im afraid it may be too short to reach. ill see if i can upload a pic with circles etc.

post-401-1106794927_thumb.jpg

Edited by ren