Key Sets

jim123

I recently purchased a second hand 2007 Kluger KX-R AWD 7 seater from a Toyota dealer. I was only given one key with remote and a spare valet key. The manual says that I should be supplied with 2 sets of keys and 2 remotes and the spare valet key. The dealer said the manual is incorrect. I would be interested in knowing what keys should be supplied.

Thanks

Jim

It's second hand. You pretty much get what your given I think.

Exactly. The manual will state what comes from the factory. The ad will tell you what comes with the actual sale. Who knows what happened with the other key/remote, the first owner probably just lost them. It's like selling a second-hand computer game without the instruction-manual or original box. The game is still the same, but a little worn, and some things are missing. Just because the original came with manual + box and shrink-wrapping, no reason for a used example to include the same unless advertised so.

I recently purchased a second hand 2007 Kluger KX-R AWD 7 seater from a Toyota dealer. I was only given one key with remote and a spare valet key. The manual says that I should be supplied with 2 sets of keys and 2 remotes and the spare valet key. The dealer said the manual is incorrect. I would be interested in knowing what keys should be supplied.

The dealer is lying through their teeth (then again, Used Car salesmen are generally as thick as bricks anyway). Current model GSU40R Klugers are received off the truck with 2 master keys (black), one valet key (grey) and 2x remote fobs. I would strongly suggest you return to the dealer, ask to speak to the general manager and complain about the salesman who has told you that a manual supplied by TMCA is incorrect. If you don't get any joy there, take it up with the dealer principal. Make sure you get another master key and remote. You should always have 2 master keys for any Toyota vehicle at all times. When programming a new master key, an existing master key must be available to complete the procedure. If you lose both master keys, you're up sh!t creek. The immobiliser ECU does not allow programming of any new keys without verifying an existing master key first. Valet keys cannot be used to program new keys to the vehicle. So, go back to the dealer and demand an additional master key.

I did buy it new, they are able to provide a 2nd set at their cost, they would have bought the car off someone, traded it in, and probably taken the missing key into account the price they paid.

What happens when you lose that key, you can simply call the other half and get them, you'll be stuck...

The dealer is lying through their teeth (then again, Used Car salesmen are generally as thick as bricks anyway). Current model GSU40R Klugers are received off the truck with 2 master keys (black), one valet key (grey) and 2x remote fobs. I would strongly suggest you return to the dealer, ask to speak to the general manager and complain about the salesman who has told you that a manual supplied by TMCA is incorrect. If you don't get any joy there, take it up with the dealer principal. Make sure you get another master key and remote. You should always have 2 master keys for any Toyota vehicle at all times. When programming a new master key, an existing master key must be available to complete the procedure. If you lose both master keys, you're up sh!t creek. The immobiliser ECU does not allow programming of any new keys without verifying an existing master key first. Valet keys cannot be used to program new keys to the vehicle. So, go back to the dealer and demand an additional master key.

Thanks pinzvidz and to everyone for their feedback. I will get in contact with the dealer principal and get this sorted. If I don't get any satisfaction, I'll get in contact with Toyota Australia and see what happens. They say that two things in life are inevitable, death and taxes...whoever thought of this obviously hadn't met a Car or Realestate sales person!!

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my KX-R new in 2007 and it only came with one key with electronic ring and one valet key. I asked the dealer if that was right and he said that's all you get these days.

Now, after reading the posts above, I am thinking perhaps the spare parts counter took the other as they can sell it for a lot.

Correction I just had a look inside the kit the dealer gave me which contains discount coupons, referal cards and other stuff I am not interested in and lo and behold there is a second key and electronic fob. Just as well this thread came about otherwise I would been in the dark forever.

Edited by mayhewga

I bought my KX-R new in 2007 and it only came with one key with electronic ring and one valet key. I asked the dealer if that was right and he said that's all you get these days.

Now, after reading the posts above, I am thinking perhaps the spare parts counter took the other as they can sell it for a lot.

Another dealer that lies through its teeth. Once again, 2x master keys (each with remote fobs) and a valet key should've been provided to you. Go back and DEMAND a second key and remote!

Spare parts have no use for it btw, as it will already be cut and will only suit your vehicle. And they're not expensive, master keys are about $60-$70 a pop.