check my grill out

Sera30

I got my new grill today and fitted it straight away.

Had to make a few minor adjustments with a stanely knife ( i thought the quality is a bit poor)

My wife is not to keen on it because she said you can see straight through it but she'll get useed to it.

Now just waiting for Friday for my Auspack GPS/DVD unit WOOHOO :yahoo:

post-10382-1224579286_thumb.jpg post-10382-1224579447_thumb.jpg

Sweet. It certainly gives the car a different look. Especially when the Sportivo's appear to have a bigger presence on the road now. I've got the see-through issue solved. Just can't fix it until I get my car back.

[

looks nice dude, If you put some fine-grain mesh (fine as house screen mess) behind that mesh in there, it would darken it so you cant look through, but will still give thenice look of the thicker mesh on the outside.

Maybey a option.

I picked up a section of black aluminium mesh (1200mm x 280mm) from Autobarn for $19.95. I've attached a photo of it next to the old grill waiting till my car comes back home. It is the same as the mesh used on the grill. I plan to put it behind the grill but angled at 45 degrees. The effect of looking through the front mesh onto another piece of mesh but at the angle should be enough to create a distortion that blocks a majority of the radiator's 'shine'. That way the mesh on the front wont blend in too much and ruin the effect.

If that fails, Termimesh painted black FTW.

dsc02946ww2.th.jpg

I picked up a section of black aluminium mesh (1200mm x 280mm) from Autobarn for $19.95. I've attached a photo of it next to the old grill waiting till my car comes back home. It is the same as the mesh used on the grill. I plan to put it behind the grill but angled at 45 degrees. The effect of looking through the front mesh onto another piece of mesh but at the angle should be enough to create a distortion that blocks a majority of the radiator's 'shine'. That way the mesh on the front wont blend in too much and ruin the effect.

If that fails, Termimesh painted black FTW.

That will do it i reckon Daryl, that angle should fill the gaps.

Okay, so I got my car back and finally had the opportunity to fix up my grill. I used black mesh (1200mm x 280mm) which I picked up from Autobarn on special for $19.95. I cut it to size and put it in place. A picture tells a thousand words so I won't bother explaining it since you can see how it sits. I took this photo prior to tying it all down. It is now tied down and sits really tight:

dsc02950mt9.th.jpg

And here are some photos I took of the end result. I took some without the flash to show that you can see the definition of the front mesh, and I also used the flash so you can see the Moiré effect of the second mesh. And yes, I forgot the before photos, but with the flash on, you would pretty much see the big silver radiator behind.

dsc02952qd5.th.jpg dsc02953qb8.th.jpg dsc02954nw1.th.jpg dsc02959mx7.th.jpg

Now I just need to buy some more mesh and cover the bottom section... and fix that horn.

Just a quick photo, but I finally sorted out the horn and the lower mesh. I'll take a photo in the morning when the sun is up.

dsc02984to5.th.jpg

Edit: A couple of daytime photos. Nothing special, plus the car is dirty right now. Don't want to wash it for another few days because of the paint.

dsc02985ni4.th.jpg dsc02987nv2.th.jpg dsc02988ke7.th.jpg

looks good DJ

How did you end up tieing the mesh on the bottom of the lower intake?

I thought maybe cable tieing at the top of the lower intake was enough but mine moves around if you push your finger through the bottom of the intake.

thinking of drilling a few small holes so i can feed a couple of cable ties through

I wanted to make sure I got it right the first time, so mine is tied down strong. I didn't take photos because I simply forgot. I removed the splash guard under the bumper, then removed that centre piece that was in the front opening there. I then cut the mesh to size and drilled 6 inconspicuous holes (if you remove the piece you can drill holes in spots that are not seen), tied the mesh down and put everything back together. The mesh follows the curve of that centre piece perfectly and does not even move when pushed even with a little force.

thanks to Bondie and Daryl im a grill owner now too :yahoo: debadged sides and back too...looks mint

Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaahh! thats what im talking about. Now ya rolin in style. Looks good man, did ya double mesh it like daryl's, cause it looks very black with no see through action.

niace, im liking it

I tell ya what, sooner or later, it will be the norm to see the aurion rocking around with the mesh grill, for the price, they just look so much better than the standard i reckon. Like the hilux billet grill, when they first come out, it was like "Daaaaaaaaammmnnnnn! thats nice", and now ya see them everywhere, which is great. Even the tradey's utes, they got standard everything, but styling with a billet grill.

Makes ya think why the cosmetic designers of these vehicle coys, don't do this sort of stuff from the start. In the cosmetic department, i reckon that holden are starting to get their sh*t sorted. Their cars are looking fine, good shapes, big flares - leaving enough room for 22's, good colours. Ford slowly comming but still looks very similar as it past models. I like what toyota is doing and the aurions, but i think there could have been more arch and flare in the wheel area, even with 20's they still look a bit small.

Anyways enough of my tangent,

Edited by BONDIE

thanks to Bondie and Daryl im a grill owner now too :yahoo: debadged sides and back too...looks mint

Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaahh! thats what im talking about. Now ya rolin in style. Looks good man, did ya double mesh it like daryl's, cause it looks very black with no see through action.

Likin it, looks mint.

Thanks dude! as soon as i got back home i put it on. i was like a little kid, so exited lol. i was happy with the littleness you can see through it but no havnt doubled it up yet i brought some today tho and will do 1 layer behing and in the lower bumper =D

yeh thats true, tho i hope that there not many of us doing it otherwise we dont stick out. i saw a green aurion yesterday at the calumvale on 20 inch anz rims which looked mint, but i was like i bet he hasnt got a grill, talkin myself up, i walk around the front and bang sports grill i was like DAMMM haha but like u said about the commies u only need to lower them and thats it they look a treat...black inserted lights, flared guards, 19's

cant wait to see the next gen aurion wheneva it comes out!!

Edited by eSEXSIX

Thats what i thought when i found my contact and got my grill sent from thailand. I thought this is going to make my aurion stand out from everyone elses, sweeeeeet.

It was like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, (being ying ying from thailand) lol. But its the sort of thing you just cant keep to yourself, the amount of times the boys on this forum have helped my out with a problem or two, I was happy to share this wealth of knowledge.

That looks sweet as... really works well with the blue. This is pretty cool. We are starting to establish samples for the grill on different colour Stivo's. You have BLCKLABEL, spags, Snoochem, and JIN with the black, argie and apg39 with the silver, myself with the red, sera709 with the orange, and now eSEXSIX with blue. Hopefully I didn't miss anyone.

That's quite a lot of Stivo's with a change of front grill. BONDIE is still sitting pretty good there standing out from the crowd with his smooth-as Aurion with chrome grill.