check my grill out

Sera30

Little of topic but how hard would it be to paint a chrome grill black. Without the paint flaking etc?

Yeah yeah, i know but i'm an amateur at this DIY stuff. I pay other people to do stuff for me but respraying a grill is hardly worth someone's effort.

Little of topic but how hard would it be to paint a chrome grill black. Without the paint flaking etc?

Yeah yeah, i know but i'm an amateur at this DIY stuff. I pay other people to do stuff for me but respraying a grill is hardly worth someone's effort.

No hard at all. But to paint plastic you need to spray it with a seperate plastic primer first, (no matter what anyone trys and tells you- Paint with primer in it, dont trust it). The primer will create a base for you to paint on. If you do not use a plastic primer, and just paint it straight up, it will bubble and flake. (paint will not stick properly).

The good thing with plastic primers, is they dry really fast. So within a couple of hours you can have a fairly large object, primed 2 or three times. Alow half hour between coats.

From there you just spray on your plastic paint (make sure it spray paint for plastics though). This is where you must spray evenly. The instruction on the can "hold a certain distance away" , you need to adhere to this, other wise you will have wet spots. (spots in you spray work that will seem shinnier in some areas, not consistant). Once you get them, you will chase your tail trying to get rid of them.

Ive sprayed every thing from dashes, interiors, to scoops, spoilers. Its really easy. But if a item is Vinyl, use just a vinyl spray. If it is plastic, you can use one that says vinyl, plastic, blah blah blah. Vinyl moves alot more than plastics, expands and constricts with temperatures.

The only problem you will really face, is trying to colour code. But as you said if you are matcing black with black, it would be a piece of cake, as it is a base colour. (gloss black paint would be fine) You will only get into trouble with your mixed colours, eg purples, orange, etc etc. very hard to colour match.

Take your time, dont rush the job and it will come out even. Miss a spot in the first spray, pick it up second time around on the second coat. Never try spot spray, ( when you miss a spot and you try and give it a quick squirt in that area) it doesnt work = wet spots. Spray in a flowing motion and it will come out even.

Always use a spray can. Dont use a paint brush, brushing it on would go on that thick and the end product would look like a pre-schooler did it.

In the past ive always used the automotive cans at Autobarn called "K&H" brand is the one. Big 400gm cans. I just did a spoiler for a mazda i sold and i didnt even get through half a can, and that was after about 4 coats of each. They do plastic primers and the paint for plastic spraying. Their spray comes out nice and even and the nozzel never clogs or spits.

Once you spray it, put it on your car and leave it in the sun to bake for a day. Then rub it with Armourall protectant to give it a real shine, protect the paint and also this will get rid of any mild inconsitances.

Oh yeah when you spray it, hang it off something like the close line with a coat hanger bended into a "S" this is so once you start painting you dont have to touch it till it is dry. The coat hanger is good as if the wind picks up, it holds it ground, and you can hook the "S" on the back of the object, so when you spray it doesnt leave any marks. This will also allow you to move around the object to get a even coat. This will mean the only thing that can accidently get stuck to your paint job, if unlucky is an insect that isnt watching where he is going. Nothing worse that working out of your shed, painting some thing chocked on the ground the wind picks up and you end up with dust stuck to your paint.

Overall if ya want to paint your grill gloss black, you will have no worries, and it will turn out like a professional done it. Black is really easy to work with. White, Silver other base colours also would be fine. Mixed colours, it will turn out dodgee, and i recommend a get a professional to do it.

Sorry about the spelling, i cant be fu*ked spell-checking my novel - too tired.

Hope this helps, good luck,

Bondie.

Edited by BONDIE

No hard at all. But to paint plastic you need to spray it with a seperate plastic primer first, (no matter what anyone trys and tells you- Paint with primer in it, dont trust it). The primer will create a base for you to paint on. If you do not use a plastic primer, and just paint it straight up, it will bubble and flake. (paint will not stick properly).

The good thing with plastic primers, is they dry really fast. So within a couple of hours you can have a fairly large object, primed 2 or three times. Alow half hour between coats.

From there you just spray on your plastic paint (make sure it spray paint for plastics though). This is where you must spray evenly. The instruction on the can "hold a certain distance away" , you need to adhere to this, other wise you will have wet spots. (spots in you spray work that will seem shinnier in some areas, not consistant). Once you get them, you will chase your tail trying to get rid of them.

Ive sprayed every thing from dashes, interiors, to scoops, spoilers. Its really easy. But if a item is Vinyl, use just a vinyl spray. If it is plastic, you can use one that says vinyl, plastic, blah blah blah. Vinyl moves alot more than plastics, expands and constricts with temperatures.

The only problem you will really face, is trying to colour code. But as you said if you are matcing black with black, it would be a piece of cake, as it is a base colour. (gloss black paint would be fine) You will only get into trouble with your mixed colours, eg purples, orange, etc etc. very hard to colour match.

Take your time, dont rush the job and it will come out even. Miss a spot in the first spray, pick it up second time around on the second coat. Never try spot spray, ( when you miss a spot and you try and give it a quick squirt in that area) it doesnt work = wet spots. Spray in a flowing motion and it will come out even.

Always use a spray can. Dont use a paint brush, brushing it on would go on that thick and the end product would look like a pre-schooler did it.

In the past ive always used the automotive cans at Autobarn called "K&H" brand is the one. Big 400gm cans. I just did a spoiler for a mazda i sold and i didnt even get through half a can, and that was after about 4 coats of each. They do plastic primers and the paint for plastic spraying. Their spray comes out nice and even and the nozzel never clogs or spits.

Once you spray it, put it on your car and leave it in the sun to bake for a day. Then rub it with Armourall protectant to give it a real shine, protect the paint and also this will get rid of any mild inconsitances.

Oh yeah when you spray it, hang it off something like the close line with a coat hanger bended into a "S" this is so once you start painting you dont have to touch it till it is dry. The coat hanger is good as if the wind picks up, it holds it ground, and you can hook the "S" on the back of the object, so when you spray it doesnt leave any marks. This will also allow you to move around the object to get a even coat. This will mean the only thing that can accidently get stuck to your paint job, if unlucky is an insect that isnt watching where he is going. Nothing worse that working out of your shed, painting some thing chocked on the ground the wind picks up and you end up with dust stuck to your paint.

Overall if ya want to paint your grill gloss black, you will have no worries, and it will turn out like a professional done it. Black is really easy to work with. White, Silver other base colours also would be fine. Mixed colours, it will turn out dodgee, and i recommend a get a professional to do it.

Sorry about the spelling, i cant be fu*ked spell-checking my novel - too tired.

Hope this helps, good luck,

Bondie.

That helps heaps man, thanks for that. Looking at your pic, it look like you've got the grill i want to order and respray...

The Lexus style grill yeah. You got your lip kit yet? Can't wait to see your pics dude.

Yeah ive got the lexus grill. Sweet as fits real well. Na, havent got the lip kit yet. Just payed for my christmas holiday, and that burnt a 8k hole in my wallet (sucking on pina coladas in a pool on a cruise boat, sailing in the middle of no-where yeeeeeeeeaaaah cant wait). So ive gotta save up some more bickies. Plus i just had all my insurance bills come at once, which was brillant timming, nooooooot. So im gonna give it a month before i think about ordering.

Edited by BONDIE

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I really like this one! my number 1 choice is the banner.jpg it will fit on my ATX. the 2 top screws and clips line up? :toast: :toast:

The attached photo of apg39's mesh grill is the standard Thailand mesh grill being discussed all over this forum. They are all the same in regards to fitment. A simple swap and no modifications to the grill or the bumper are needed. As said, if it is marketed for the Asian Camry and you can see the shape if like that; it will fit. You will definitely know if you piked the wrong grill (normal Gen 6 Camry), because their grill shape is completely different.